Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:28 pm
I would take it but I think Cincinnati and UCF and WVU would sue and likely win

23 teams would make no sense for football or basketball
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
dovecanyoncat

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by dovecanyoncat »

This is about sports and $. What has sense got to do with it?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The best thing to happen is to attend football games and work on increasing revenue. Jedd Fisch has done as good a job as could be expected from the dumpster fire he was left. The Cats have a lot of good young talent. Let's make sure they are supported and work on the process of making UA a more desirable place to play.
Last edited by Catintheheat on Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Saw a tweet where it was said Fox is driving this merger so it’s about brand. And by brand, I mean football brand.

ESPIN drove the last round of realignment and this time it’s Fox. They vs will be selecting teams that fit their agenda, after all they are the ones paying for it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:28 pm Saw a tweet where it was said Fox is driving this merger so it’s about brand. And by brand, I mean football brand.

ESPIN drove the last round of realignment and this time it’s Fox. They vs will be selecting teams that fit their agenda, after all they are the ones paying for it
This one?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Or this one?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:18 pm
We'll probably end up the same place as ASU and we don't necessarily have any football rivals besides them but imagining us going years or decades without playing UCLA or Stanford or Washington is just bizarre.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I do see a positive. Unless UA joins the B1G too Bruins will be less likely to post here.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:27 pm
Merkin wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:24 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:05 pm My gut tells me Washington and Oregon will get into the Big 10 eventually. Just might take a few weeks longer.
Not sure if this is true or not, but if ND does decline, then I would think most certainly they are gone to the Big 10.

There might be a fly in the ointment for UW/UO joining the B1G
What would be funny would be if UA, ASU, Utah and Colorado bolt and then UW, and Oregon are stuck with their counterparts and the Bay area in the PAC 12 north.

Would make me chuckle.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RichardCranium wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:37 am I do see a positive. Unless UA joins the B1G too Bruins will be less likely to post here.
Unfortunately, the BYU fans in the Big12 will more than make up for the Bruins :lol: :lol: :lol:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just brutal regarding Larry Scott, and well deserved.

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Southern California is responsible for roughly 40% of the PAC-12 revenue

Gotta move to the Big 12 or ACC tomorrow
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My goodness.

I take a 6day backpacking trip to the lost coast without WiFi and come back to this?

Craziness

Funny that pac leadership thinks they have leverage in this.

Arizona better be looking out for #1.

Cute that ucla football thinks it’s gonna win in thier new conference.

As per usual usc sucks
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Would never happen but arizona to SEC would be the tits from a basketball fandom perspective
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

One of the conferences, the PAC or the Bug 12 will have to assimilate the other to survive financially.

The article pointed out that it depends on what Oregon and Washington does. I am curious about a states BOR giving the green light to split state funded schools. That would be another seismic shift if allowed.

I really think if the PAC is dissolved that the SEC will look further west and may offer the Arizona schools an opportunity
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RichardCranium wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:37 am I do see a positive. Unless UA joins the B1G too Bruins will be less likely to post here.
Wow. As if I needed another reason to want to join the Big 12.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Just from what makes sense to me logistically for football and basketball I cannot see any conference going more than 20 schools. Too many factors at play and scheduling etc

SEC and Big Ten both have 16 so 8 schools can still move to those from the Big 12 ACC and current PAC.

I just don't see U of A being among the 8 best options
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:59 am Would never happen but arizona to SEC would be the tits from a basketball fandom perspective
I would be totally okay with the SEC. Big 12 just makes more sense geographically.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How many do the acc have?

What about operation bar bell?

Pac and acc merge, maintain regional rivalries with exposure to both coasts? Pick up some big12 to kill it two, like Kansas for Bb.

I like canzano in general, but his article smacks of regional homerism. Knight gonna do jack squat and if so this think is moving to fast to jump in now.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Operation bar bell works well when America west and us airways merged…then subsequent merger into AA.

Actually, come to think about it, airline consolidation is a great bellweather for what’s going to happen in college athletics.

At the end of this they’ll be a big three with a bunch of middling Low cost afterthoughts.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:45 am Just brutal regarding Larry Scott, and well deserved.

Like I said earlier, if Larry Scott’s tenure was protected by Michael Crow, I will blame ASU for the PAC-12s demise.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ACC has 15 currently but rumors are Florida St and Clemson and UNC are candidates to go to the SEC and Big Ten

Stanford
Oregon
Washington
Florida St
Clemson
Miami
Notre Dame
UNC
Baylor

I think those would all be more desired than UA solo

UA would never ever ever get into the Big Ten with asu. Big Ten is already fuming mad about Nebraska academically
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol. Canzano changing his tune and beginning to come around to UO and UW to BIG.

We fucked.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:15 pm Lol. Canzano changing his tune and beginning to come around to UO and UW to BIG.

We fucked.
I think that we want UW/UO to get picked up by the B1G. If they don't I see two scenarios, neither of which are particularly good for the UA:

Scenario 1: The UA stays in a watered down PAC12 with SDSU/UNLV replacing UCLA/USC. The TV contract would be worth significantly less and the UA would get poorer as they slide into permanent Tier 2 status.

Scenario 2: UW/UO determine that Scenario 1 doesn't work for them either and join the Big12. The Big12 would then be in a position where they would have to pick between UA/asu/Utah/Col for two more teams to get to 16. The UA would be the least attractive option and could potentially end up remaining in a heavily neutered PAC12/MWC leftover conference. The long term viability of UA football could very well be in question

Should UW/UO get into the B1G there will be a direct path for the UA to join the Big12 where we will be in no worse shape than where we were in the old PAC12.

Bottom line the UA is like the homely girl trying to get an invite to the Prom. We are going to have to wait for the more attractive girls (UO/UW) to make their pick before we get a date.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I respect your opinion and agree on some parts, but I don’t the hardon for Uw.

Garbage football team, garbage basketball team, and the Phoenix market is bigger. Not sure I see the “ national reasoning” why they are better then a UofA asu package.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

But to your point, fuck loyalty, 2020 taught us all that NFG (no fucks given) is the MO of our world, so run to the big12 with open arms if you are UofA.

I’d love home and homes with Kansas.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Even $500M / 12 teams is about $42M per best scenario if UCLA/USC stayed.

The Big 10 is looking at a new $100M contract per team.

Now what would you do?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:03 pm ACC has 15 currently but rumors are Florida St and Clemson and UNC are candidates to go to the SEC and Big Ten

Stanford
Oregon
Washington
Florida St
Clemson
Miami
Notre Dame
UNC
Baylor

I think those would all be more desired than UA solo

UA would never ever ever get into the Big Ten with asu. Big Ten is already fuming mad about Nebraska academically
No problem splitting up with them if our AAU status saves us if the big ten expand beyond 20 (Colorado and Arizona as a package) and to make every big ten team a continuous line

Clemson, FSU, Miami no AAU status so will never get into the conference

Notre Dame I believe has turned down membership several times. UNC, UVA, Kansas I think are the other possibilities

Nebraska had AAU status when they applied to get in but lost in soon afterwards iirc
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:59 pm I respect your opinion and agree on some parts, but I don’t the hardon for Uw.

Garbage football team, garbage basketball team, and the Phoenix market is bigger. Not sure I see the “ national reasoning” why they are better then a UofA asu package.
The UA isn't in Phoenix. And I would not count on a UA/asu package. In this game its every man/school for themselves.

The metro population of Seattle is north of 4 million.........Tucson around 1 million. I suspect Fox/ESPN value the Seattle market more than Tucson. I agree that UW has been garbage in everything recently but their football program has historically been better than the UA.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If there is one thing that these moves show Is that football/tv market is king and basketball means Jack shit
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dmjcat wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:15 pm
CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:59 pm I respect your opinion and agree on some parts, but I don’t the hardon for Uw.

The UA isn't in Phoenix. And I would not count on a UA/asu package. In this game its every man/school for themselves.

The metro population of Seattle is north of 4 million.........Tucson around 1 million. I suspect Fox/ESPN value the Seattle market more than Tucson. I agree that UW has been garbage in everything recently but their football program has historically been better than the UA.
ABOR doesn’t see it this way.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Also news flash, uofa grads populate all major west coast markets not just Tucson.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

TV market size was paramount a decade ago. Today? With streaming options and less broadcast over the air only, TV eyeballs are becoming more and more important. And when it comes to eyeballs, Arizona has a good brand. Would be great if we had any semblance of a football program.

Washington and Oregon won't stay in a watered down PAC if all we do is add UNLV and SDSU. We would need to add more, like OK State and a big program from Texas, like Baylor. Add in TTech plus Boise St, which would mean watering down academic standards in the PAC, but that would be a 16 team PAC with some solid brands.

Right now, I think patience is needed. We need to try and hitch our wagon to Oregon and Washington if possible. They have more value to us than any school in the current iteration of the BIG 12. I also don't see Oregon and UW bolting for the BIG 12. BIG 10 calls, and they are gone.

We should also see what the Cougs and Beavs are doing. There is already proposed legislation in WA to keep WSU and UW in the same conference. Would make things interesting.

In the end, I don't see us being completely left out. Football is king, but compare Arizona football to ASu or Colorado, there isn't much of a difference. But throw in all other athletics that draw eyeballs, like men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, etc., Arizona shines. And our academics aren't a drawback either.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:28 pm
dmjcat wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:15 pm

ABOR doesn’t see it this way.
The Arizona/asu package deal? Oklahoma and Oklahoma state had a similar one and look what happened.

They're trying to make one for the Washington and Oregon schools but they'll leave if they want to as well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

WSU and ntOSU are not AAU. I imagine the PAC presidents would love to jettison them. They wouldn't be admitted today if they applied, and even they have better academics than SDSU and UNLV.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:29 pm Also news flash, uofa grads populate all major west coast markets not just Tucson.
If you believe that football fans outside of Tucson are eagerly tuning into UA football games then you are sadly mistaken. Most football fans outside of Tucson haven't given a rats ass about the UA for more than a decade........and for the last several years neither have people in Tucson for that matter. There are many rankings of College football teams based on TV markets. They all share 1 thing in that the UA is near the bottom.

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zac ... c03c689e50

The UA ranks just below Memphis (and asu/Colorado/Utah).
Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:38 pm TV market size was paramount a decade ago. Today? With streaming options and less broadcast over the air only, TV eyeballs are becoming more and more important. And when it comes to eyeballs, Arizona has a good brand. Would be great if we had any semblance of a football program.

Washington and Oregon won't stay in a watered down PAC if all we do is add UNLV and SDSU. We would need to add more, like OK State and a big program from Texas, like Baylor. Add in TTech plus Boise St, which would mean watering down academic standards in the PAC, but that would be a 16 team PAC with some solid brands.

Right now, I think patience is needed. We need to try and hitch our wagon to Oregon and Washington if possible. They have more value to us than any school in the current iteration of the BIG 12. I also don't see Oregon and UW bolting for the BIG 12. BIG 10 calls, and they are gone.

We should also see what the Cougs and Beavs are doing. There is already proposed legislation in WA to keep WSU and UW in the same conference. Would make things interesting.

In the end, I don't see us being completely left out. Football is king, but compare Arizona football to ASu or Colorado, there isn't much of a difference. But throw in all other athletics that draw eyeballs, like men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, etc., Arizona shines. And our academics aren't a drawback either.
The UA doesn't drive TV eyeballs.........we consistently rank in the 60's or lower.

ESPN/FOX/ABC/CBS/NBC don't give a rats ass about womens basketball, baseball, and certainly not academics. Its all about the $$$$$$$

The current realignment is entirely driven by $$$$ Money $$$$$$. This a brutal money grab, pure and simple.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

With or without Notre Dame, one industry source doubted there was value for the Big Ten in inviting Oregon and/or Washington. That source went so far as to call the two schools "tweeners," not big enough to justify the $80 million-$100 million annual media rights fees but clearly better than other Pac-12 schools.

Think of Oregon and Washington more attractive to the Big 12 if the Pac-12 doesn't stick together. Speaking of that …
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... n-playoff/

Yikes

I'm thinking if the two Arizona schools and the mountains secure their places in the big 12, Oregon and Washington would have to follow instead of waiting on the big ten. Could also lead to a merger of the two conferences like the article says.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

If we go Big 12 I am hoping we merge with them. Form a Big PAC conference. I think that would provide some real eyeballs more than just the mountain schools alone
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

dmjcat wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:27 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:38 pm TV market size was paramount a decade ago. Today? With streaming options and less broadcast over the air only, TV eyeballs are becoming more and more important. And when it comes to eyeballs, Arizona has a good brand. Would be great if we had any semblance of a football program.

The UA doesn't drive TV eyeballs.........we consistently rank in the 60's or lower.

ESPN/FOX/ABC/CBS/NBC don't give a rats ass about womens basketball, baseball, and certainly not academics. Its all about the $$$$$$$

The current realignment is entirely driven by $$$$ Money $$$$$$. This a brutal money grab, pure and simple.
Football is king. No doubt. But football only runs for four months. TV networks need to fill 12 months worth of programming. Add in all TV viewership from non-football sports, and total eyeballs for Arizona games are similar to Utah, Colorado, ASu, etc.

A school like Utah or ASu might add a few more eyeballs in September, but not a significant amount. But Arizona adds more eyeballs in the winter and spring that would more than make up for the loss in fall. Think of it this way. Would an extra 100,000 eyeballs be better in Sept and Oct, or spread out from Nov through June?

Now, compare Arizona to even a UW, and it's no contest. The extra football viewership is skewed too far in Washington's favor.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:27 pm
With or without Notre Dame, one industry source doubted there was value for the Big Ten in inviting Oregon and/or Washington. That source went so far as to call the two schools "tweeners," not big enough to justify the $80 million-$100 million annual media rights fees but clearly better than other Pac-12 schools.

Think of Oregon and Washington more attractive to the Big 12 if the Pac-12 doesn't stick together. Speaking of that …

Yikes

I'm thinking if the two Arizona schools and the mountains secure their places in the big 12, Oregon and Washington would have to follow instead of waiting on the big ten. Could also lead to a merger of the two conferences like the article says.
Completely agree. Arizona had to do what’s good for arizona and let the other follow.

If Oregon and uw dictate terms we are screwed.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

No merge, just go to the big12.

I want Kansas at mckale.

Let’s do this.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

And arizona at the field house.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Love it or hate it, being in a Texas footprint brings more viewership to Arizona basketball than the last 10-15yr of the pac did
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I’m all for blowing up this worthless conference. Hasnt done us any favors for the past 20 years.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:27 pm

Yikes

I'm not sure its that simple. The Big12 will pick whomever they think benefits the Big12 the most........which I believe would be Oregon/Washington. I'm thinking that the Big12 will wait to see if the B1G rejects UO/UW before moving to gobble up the PAC12.

The question is how many PAC12 teams does the Big12 take?? If its only 4 (and UO/UW are two of them) I think the UA is screwed to MWC oblivion. If its 6 or more we get in.