Game 13, at UNLV (2014-2015)

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catgrad97

Re: Game 13, at UNLV

Post by catgrad97 »

This was Arizona's worst game of the year tonight. Pre-Christmas letdown, just like in the Lute years.

Anything worse is either because of injury or is an insult to the scholarship these guys are given. They'll bounce back, and quickly.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Merkin wrote:Interesting stat, never would have guessed it.
he's our best player, and he had a terrible road trip. I think we should start him.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

pretty clear goaltend
billk78

Post by billk78 »

catgrad97 wrote:This was Arizona's worst game of the year tonight. Pre-Christmas letdown, just like in the Lute years.

Anything worse is either because of injury or is an insult to the scholarship these guys are given. They'll bounce back, and quickly.
someone reasonable.....what are you doing here?
az91

Post by az91 »

Miller just said this was the worst defensive performance he has ever been associated with. It was truly horrible.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:UA scores 5 points in the last 5:32.

59% FTs, outrebounded by 13.

No adjustment at all by Miller.
And are you really surprised?

That's an honest question. I ask because, well, I'm not.

This is Miller ball.

Some people want to tout our adjusted O stat or this stat or that stat but bottom line is this is who we are with Miller.

The tighter his sphincter gets the tighter the rotation gets. We played better on O last year, AFTER BAsh's injury (well, after a while after he was injured), because it forced Miller's hand in playing a little different on the O side. But this year, here we are, back to the same old shit.

No reliable, clutch shooter.

No answer for the simplest of plays that the other team runs us into the ground with.

No good from the free throw line.

I said it before the season began, and I'll say it again now: This team has an elite 8 ceiling.

We'll probably get there again, and lose there again, lather, rinse, and repeat.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

billk78 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:This was Arizona's worst game of the year tonight. Pre-Christmas letdown, just like in the Lute years.

someone reasonable.....what are you doing here?
I never left. But people don't respond to me a lot these days. Too much holiday drama they have to resolve, I guess.
az91

Post by az91 »

azpatnca wrote:
Merkin wrote:Interesting stat, never would have guessed it.
he's our best player, and he had a terrible road trip. I think we should start him.
I have been hoping this for the entire season. Sadly, I don't think it will happen.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

billk78 wrote:pretty clear goaltend
I wish we had played well enough that I could be pissed off at the blatantly biased officiating. Damn, that was some kangaroo shit.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

azpatnca wrote:
az91 wrote: Maybe, but the conference is going to be tough. Utah and UW have the talent and coaching to win the conference.

UW plays offense. that's scary to me.
Exactly good offense will always beat good defense, that's just how the game is. A good offense team like UW or a team with a talented guard that can take over game like Cal, Stanford, or Utah scare me too... U of A is not getting a cake walk through the Pac 12 this year guys, we have some major holes that were just exploited.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

az91 wrote:Miller just said this was the worst defensive performance he has ever been associated with. It was truly horrible.
He also said he was out coached. Very glad he admitted that.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

AZCatGirl wrote:
az91 wrote:Miller just said this was the worst defensive performance he has ever been associated with. It was truly horrible.
Me too
az91

Post by az91 »

Lando05 wrote:
azpatnca wrote:
az91 wrote: Maybe, but the conference is going to be tough. Utah and UW have the talent and coaching to win the conference.

UW plays offense. that's scary to me.
Exactly good offense will always beat good defense, that's just how the game is. A good offense team like UW or a team with a talented guard that can take over game like Cal, Stanford, or Utah scare me too... U of A is not getting a cake walk through the Pac 12 this year guys, we have some major holes that were just exploited.
This is a spot on analysis.
az91

Post by az91 »

AZCatGirl wrote:
And that is pathetic, because I think Dave Rice has done less with more talent than anyone since he became head coach of UNLV
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

This is Miller ball.

Some people want to tout our adjusted O stat or this stat or that stat but bottom line is this is who we are with Miller.

The tighter his sphincter gets the tighter the rotation gets. We played better on O last year, AFTER BAsh's injury (well, after a while after he was injured), because it forced Miller's hand in playing a little different on the O side. But this year, here we are, back to the same old shit.

No answer for the simplest of plays that the other team runs us into the ground with.

I said it before the season began, and I'll say it again now: This team has an elite 8 ceiling.

We'll probably get there again, and lose there again, lather, rinse, and repeat.
POM you hit the nail of the head, couldn't agree anymore. I hope I'm wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

But who doesn't, or couldn't, get up for Arizona?

Not sure how much credit Rice deserves for this win. UNLV wanted to be Queen For a Day and got it.

It's up to them what they make of it. Recent history has said, meh.

Thinking this UNLV team might be different. Hoping, anyway. Otherwise, they haven't earned my respect.
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

Merkin wrote:
The way the ball bounced off the rim did seem unnatural, it looked like it was going to softly bounce in and then careened off the to right, if UNLV hit the rim that would explain it.
az91

Post by az91 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

This is Miller ball.

Elite 8 ceiling? That might be optimistic. The loss of Nick Johnson and Aaron Gordon have proven to be much harder to overcome than anyone thought.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Does Miller's offense system put his players in positions to best maximize their offense skills? I'm asking an honest question here.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lando05 wrote:Does Miller's offense system put his players in positions to best maximize their offense skills? I'm asking an honest question here.
You'd have to ask his players.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I agree Miller's offense system has issues, but our defense was horrible as well. Hell, EVERYTHING we did was awful. I don't think it's fair to just blame the offense.

I disagree about the Elite 8 ceiling too. I think Miller's system can get to a Final 4.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

AZCatGirl wrote:I agree Miller's offense system has issues, but our defense was horrible as well. Hell, EVERYTHING we did was awful. I don't think it's fair to just blame the offense.

I disagree about the Elite 8 ceiling too. I think Miller's system can get to a Final 4.
I think that might (and I stress might) be possible if we had an AG or a DWill on this team.

but we don't.

Hell, even with them, we couldn't make it.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:I agree Miller's offense system has issues, but our defense was horrible as well. Hell, EVERYTHING we did was awful. I don't think it's fair to just blame the offense.

I think that might (and I stress might) be possible if we had an AG or a DWill on this team.

but we don't.

Hell, even with them, we couldn't make it.
If we only get to the Elite 8 I again might come around to your line of thought, but Stanley could be the difference maker if he plays smart. Of course, that's assuming the rest of the team plays smart as well...
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

How many of these posts would exist if we won by 2?

"Good offense beats good defense, that's just how the game is"?

Excuse me while I check to see if we're talking about basketball here.

BRB
NorCalCat

Post by NorCalCat »

An Homage to the Lute era where the Cats would lay a huge egg in the final road game before X-Mas every single damned year.