Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

conny24

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by conny24 »

97cats wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
97cats wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
97cats wrote:Miller intentionally missed on Bowen and Walker cause at that time he was already contacted by the FBI and knew the prob and watch was on, he wanted to try and show that Arizona doesn't pay for its players and subsequently backed off and let the other programs (Miami and Louisville) pay and land their guy.
Wow, this makes it sound like Miller let Book hang himself. Quinerly was well after Bowen and Walker.
jinx
Yup. Holy smokes.
and..........what did Quinerly get -- 15k

not the standard amount

the plot thickens...........................
How does the Little deal fall into all of this? Just a set up? Apologize if it's already been covered and thanks for all of the intel!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

My 5 year old is joining a b-ball team this year....what’s the going rate gonna look like in 2030?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

LBdCactus wrote:
Good evening.

So wait... Are you saying the FBI told Miller they were investigating Book? Did I read something wrong? Because that definitely doesn't sound right. Why would they discuss an ongoing investigation with someone who at that point may even turn out to be an accomplice once the full investigation is over, especially considering that Book only comes into play this past spring. Doesn't seem like enough time to clear anyone associated with the Program.

Or maybe I'm just spinning all of this in my head too much.
Coach Miller was approached cause the FBI saw what Book was doing as an independent motive, remember Sean wasn't tagged in any of this yesterday, and they continued as the university and the program/kids as the victim, Miller and the high ups were made aware to assist in the matter.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Longhorned, that would make sense, for the "who initiated contact" part. Still wouldn't explain why details of the case would be discussed with potential witness.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

LBdCactus wrote:Longhorned, that would make sense, for the "who initiated contact" part. Still wouldn't explain why details of the case would be discussed with potential witness.
They saw Miller and the school as the victim. Book was operating on his own.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97Cats....amazing stuff today... like always
97cats

Post by 97cats »

YoDeFoe wrote:
LBdCactus wrote:Longhorned, that would make sense, for the "who initiated contact" part. Still wouldn't explain why details of the case would be discussed with potential witness.
and such Arizona, as coy as they could, AZ backed off Bowen and Walker and let Book meander with Quin as the trail was already laid.
Last edited by 97cats on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

97cats wrote:
LBdCactus wrote:
Good evening.

So wait... Are you saying the FBI told Miller they were investigating Book? Did I read something wrong? Because that definitely doesn't sound right. Why would they discuss an ongoing investigation with someone who at that point may even turn out to be an accomplice once the full investigation is over, especially considering that Book only comes into play this past spring. Doesn't seem like enough time to clear anyone associated with the Program.

Coach Miller was approached cause the FBI saw what Book was doing as an independent motive, remember Sean wasn't tagged in any of this yesterday, and they continued as the university and the program/kids as the victim, Miller and the high ups were made aware to assist in the matter.

Understood. But dayummm... The tangential connections to everything Book was going would seem to at the very least make the Feds weary of letting anyone know anything. I admit I don't know how this stuff works, I'm not a lawyer or a cop.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Why was the FBI in Beaverton today?

Btw. Miami just announced the FBI is investigating them.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Could it be that book forgot to multiply by 10?
or that by that time Miller was already assisting the FEDS and the standard wasn't available -- also, Quin wasn't a 150k guy...book did this all on his own, and Miller let him.
Here is what I want to know: why did the Feds pick or allow Miller to be their guy? Had they heard the rumors that he was a witch and figured they better not try and cross him?
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Alieberman wrote:97Cats....amazing stuff today... like always
I concur!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Yeah the "on-going bidding war" for Nassir Little and his preference for Arizona still scares and puzzles me.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

LBdCactus wrote:

Understood. But dayummm... The tangential connections to everything Book was going would seem to at the very least make the Feds weary of letting anyone know anything. I admit I don't know how this stuff works, I'm not a lawyer or a cop.
from the FBI, this isn't a basketball or recruiting issue, this is a trafficking, money laundering, bribery across state lines issue for the benefit of the investment advisors, agents, and coaches involved -- the investigation from the FEDS is about exploiting the university, that is why.

the NCAA may have other ideas, however.
prh

Post by prh »

97cats wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
and such Arizona, as coy as they could, AZ backed off Bowen and Walker and let Book meander with Quin as the trail was already laid.
Is it safe to assume Quinerly will re-open his recruitment like Little and Simons (Louisville decommit, #8 overall) ? Assuming he can even become eligible somehow
Last edited by prh on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:Why was the FBI in Beaverton today?

Btw. Miami just announced the FBI is investigating them.
you know what they say about deer, my man -- where there is one there is usually another ......this is just the beginning.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

prh wrote:
97cats wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Is it safe to assume Quinerly will re-open his recruitment like Little and Simons (Louisville decommit, #8 overall) ?
my guess is Quin never plays college basketball, ever ...same with Walker and Bowen.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
97cats wrote:Miller intentionally missed on Bowen and Walker cause at that time he was already contacted by the FBI and knew the prob and watch was on, he wanted to try and show that Arizona doesn't pay for its players and subsequently backed off and let the other programs (Miami and Louisville) pay and land their guy.
Wow, this makes it sound like Miller let Book hang himself. Quinerly was well after Bowen and Walker.
jinx
So why would Miller do that exactly? Why devote that much time to recruiting Quinerly to let it all fail? Also I assume that Miller didn't know the whole info about Little would be made public otherwise he wouldn't have devoted as much time into him as well would that be correct?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I want blue blood blood.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

97cats wrote:should I crack a beer? start an "I'm in the mood..." thread

just like the good ol days!!!
97Cats with a throwback to the legendary Friday night beer threads. This takes me back, thank you 97cats for all the information and being one of the most generous and best Wildcat fans and posters since the GoAzCats days.

Favorite recruit we lost or finished 2nd for and why we got 2nd?
conny24

Post by conny24 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Yeah the "on-going bidding war" for Nassir Little and his preference for Arizona still scares and puzzles me.
Especially since the implication is that Miami was trying to match the $150k deal we had with Little
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Lando05 wrote:

97Cats with a throwback to the legendary Friday night beer threads. This takes me back, thank you 97cats for all the information and being one of the most generous and best Wildcat fans and posters since the GoAzCats days.

Josh Jackson -- AZ cuts the nets if he plays at AZ
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

So...what was behind TJ Leaf decommitting? Any intel there?
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

YoDeFoe wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:True/False: Coach K was a hold out in this whole Pay for Play with one and done/AAU players originally. But it was our beat down of them in 2011 that made him realize he needed to talent was more important than 4-year development guys. Now Duke is worse than anyone.
This seems so fucking true.
Totally true IMO
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
jinx
So why would Miller do that exactly? Why devote that much time to recruiting Quinerly to let it all fail? Also I assume that Miller didn't know the whole info about Little would be made public otherwise he wouldn't have devoted as much time into him as well would that be correct?
Did Miller devote the time or did Book? A lot of what Book said in the FBI complaint reeks of him pushing hard to deliver for Miller.

We had Williams in the fold by then.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ProfessorFate wrote:So...what was behind TJ Leaf decommitting? Any intel there?
AAU team
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
jinx
Did Miller devote the time or did Book? A lot of what Book said in the FBI complaint reeks of him pushing hard to deliver for Miller.

Quin was Book
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

ProfessorFate wrote:So...what was behind TJ Leaf decommitting? Any intel there?
Adidas made a large payment to the school that TJ's dad coached at along with Compton Magic.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

97cats wrote:
Lando05 wrote:

Thank you as always. Would have been nice to have another national championship and final 4.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote:
Lando05 wrote:

Same. That was the one I really wanted.

Keanu Pinder played on our team instead of Josh Jackson. Yeah - he'd have made a difference.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:I want blue blood blood.
patience, youre gonna get it
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

97cats wrote:
LBdCactus wrote:
Good evening.

Why then the reports that SM's house raid was unfriendly? I mean if they are on the same team? Also, I assume the university president is privy to everything you are reporting tonight. Right? If not, how could that be?
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Probe Into NCAA Basketball Relies on Unusual Legal Theories

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/probe- ... 1506553296" target="_blank
Gabe Feldman, a sports law professor at Tulane University Law School, said it was fair to question whether prosecutors were overreaching in trying “to turn what might be an NCAA violation into a criminal violation.”
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dmjcat wrote: Pot...........meet Kettle.

Whats REALLY STUPID is thinking that the NCAA needs to have physical possession of the FBI tapes in order to take action. The publicly available FBI documents are all they need.

But I expect no less from you Odogg.

Try harder next time. :lol:
FYI, those FBI documents, the complaint and the indictment or information that will follow, are merely allegations until there is a guilty plea or a conviction at trial. The complaint is essentially the government prosecutor, under oath, saying here are the crimes we are alleging so and so committed, on these dates, violating these statutes, and then a brief layout of the facts of the case, and we are requesting a trial. The actual evidence, the tangible proof, is found in the government's discovery (pages of evidence from surveillence, photos, phone records, witnesses, cooperators, etc). The NCAA most likely will not see that until after those trials are over, and some of it may still be redacted to protect others and other investigations. The NCAA will likely attempt to be at any trials and can hear some of the evidence being presented, but I'm not sure if scribbled notes from an NCAA attorney in the gallery meets their standards. It may.

Either way, cases like this arent settled quickly, and I can see it taking 1-2 years before even the first guy from this first batch of people pleads guilty. If there is a trial, add more time. I agree with the sentiments of several in here that this stuff is not going to be decided by the NCAA for several years.
Last edited by rgdeuce on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
Quin was Book
Little was certainly Miller though. I assume he was just collateral damage in all of this then?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Hank of sb wrote:
97cats wrote:
LBdCactus wrote:
Good evening.

Why then the reports that SM's house raid was unfriendly? I mean if they are on the same team? Also, I assume the university president is privy to everything you are reporting tonight. Right? If not, how could that be?
You act as if you know and then ask others for answers? Which is it? Millers done or you don't know what your talking about.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Hank of sb wrote:
97cats wrote:
LBdCactus wrote:
Good evening.

I know for a fact they showed up at 6am to have a meeting at Sean's house yesterday and were let in and served coffee -- if that's a raid so be it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Lando05 wrote:

Even with PJC at point?

(Sorry. Had to go there) :lol:
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Quin was Book
Little was certainly Miller though. I assume he was just collateral damage in all of this then?
still gotta eat, right
97cats

Post by 97cats »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Quin was Book
still gotta eat, right????
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

YoDeFoe wrote:Yeah the "on-going bidding war" for Nassir Little and his preference for Arizona still scares and puzzles me.
Well, look at it this way. IF the Feds had any proof that Arizona was really offering that then it makes the CSM cooperation angle harder to swallow.

But maybe that was just thrown out there by someone looking to get more money from adidas, know what I mean? There is always the chance that it is a negotiating ploy. Or not. But if the Feds don't have proof, it may as well not exist.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:True/False: Coach K was a hold out in this whole Pay for Play with one and done/AAU players originally. But it was our beat down of them in 2011 that made him realize he needed to talent was more important than 4-year development guys. Now Duke is worse than anyone.
Totally true IMO
Duke is cyclical. They had a few subpar years in the mid 90's. Then K loosens it up and Maggette, Brand, Bsttier, Williams, Boozer, Duhon and that load of talent comes through. Late 00's, the subpar years return. K loosens it up and Parker, Okafor, Winslow, Ingram, Giles, etc. come through.

Coincidence?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This thread is moving faster than any game thread ever did.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Here is one thing that maybe you can clear up for me 97 as the Manhattan Beach gossip train doesn't meet as regularly as we used too.

I was under the impression that Adidas paid/sponsored AAU programs who in turn steered players to Adidas sponsored schools. So why did the leader of the Compton Magic have such access to the Arizona program for so long and in turn it was Gabe York's PT, not Nike...that turned them off to Arizona so much? And why did they still get in bed with Grace/UCLA even after York was given the starting spot over Rondae?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

K has such insulation from his dirt cause he’s a legend....the John wooden of today. Clean as a whistle while being dirty as hell.
JW_in_Boston

Post by JW_in_Boston »

gumby wrote: This sore just keeps oozing.
Rey? ;)
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Totally true IMO
Duke is cyclical. They had a few subpar years in the mid 90's. Then K loosens it up and Maggette, Brand, Bsttier, Williams, Boozer, Duhon and that load of talent comes through. Late 00's, the subpar years return. K loosens it up and Parker, Okafor, Winslow, Ingram, Giles, etc. come through.

Coincidence?
I think not
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
Pop McKale wrote:
jinx

Quin was Book
I don't know you, but I think I may love you for this stuff.

That does line up with the idea that Book was the one working the Adidas angle solo while the rest of the staff was concentrated on Nike and its pipeline.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:
97cats wrote:
Lando05 wrote:

Even with PJC at point?

(Sorry. Had to go there) :lol:
this is so flippin awesome

if Jackson is on the team, Cartwright barely plays -- sorry had to go there
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Was ASU bribing kids with cans of food?

Please tell me they were paying for that crap!