Goodbye Miller

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

killervibe

Goodbye Miller

Post by killervibe »

If this is true, Sean Miller’s career at Arizona is over. Even worse, the program will be laid bare by the NCAA.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation" target="_blank
Disclaimer: Posts may not be suitable for the overly sensitive, feebleminded, or criminally insane. In the event I offend you, please take a big step back and literally GFY.
ztonyg

Re: Goodbye Miller

Post by ztonyg »

Arizona Basketball 1984 - 2018. RIP.
killervibe

Post by killervibe »

On the bright side, he doesn’t have any National Championships to forfeit. So there’s that.
Last edited by killervibe on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: Posts may not be suitable for the overly sensitive, feebleminded, or criminally insane. In the event I offend you, please take a big step back and literally GFY.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Wow. Just wow.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I would assume that this will be Miller’s last season at Arizona and that they will have to deal with probation and a one season postseason ban. I think the scope of this scandal is going to be too big to go much beyond that. They can’t give multiple powers the death penalty.

I also think that we will see massive reform before next year. The NCAA is on the ropes and can you imagine the booster stuff they would find if they wanted to really look. Espescially in SEC football.

I really hope that Miller told the truth to the FBI.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Yep, ZERO chance that Miller and Arizona are in this alone. Hell after looking at the stories for earlier today, it was looking like UA might not be in that bad of shape regarding the investigation (i.e. Book was acting as a rouge coach). But after seeing this Miller story, I can't believe more stories like this won't be coming out for other schools.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Fire him now - GOOD RIDDANCE

sweaty crook couldn't even win with the most cheating - horrible coach

thanks for killing UA basketball you sweaty bennett ball bastard!!!
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Can we fire RnF from the boards? :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Welp
We just advanced to overall number one seed in spiffs and longhorned fbi tourney bracket.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatMG wrote:Yep, ZERO chance that Miller and Arizona are in this alone. Hell after looking at the stories for earlier today, it was looking like UA might not be in that bad of shape regarding the investigation (i.e. Book was acting as a rouge coach). But after seeing this Miller story, I can't believe more stories like this won't be coming out for other schools.
https://sports.yahoo.com/black-market-d ... 05930.html" target="_blank

I posted in the other thread, but it's already here.

That article has us mentioned again, Michigan State and Indiana assistants trying to bargain current players for Brian Bowen, Josh Jackson getting $10,000 a month...and it's only a part of the story.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Welp
We just advanced to overall number one seed in spiffs and longhorned fbi tourney bracket.
West bracket?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
West bracket?

Playing in Anaheim
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:
West bracket?

Playing in Anaheim
Love Anaheim. Wurstkuche here I come.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I want to listen to the recording. I think it will help my grieving
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Wonder if we'd be able to pull Gregg Marshall away from Wichita St.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

So far we know about the following big payments (or offers too):

Brian Bowen 150K
Ayton 100K
Dennis Smith JR. 77K

All were of course five stars. I’m pretty confident that we’ll see a lot more of it and this is simply how high end basketball recruiting is done.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Macho Grande wrote:Wonder if we'd be able to pull Gregg Marshall away from Wichita St.
Would we hire someone from a school that was also implicated? Seems unlikely
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Macho Grande wrote:Wonder if we'd be able to pull Gregg Marshall away from Wichita St.
He's implicated with Van Fleet.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RaisingArizona wrote:So far we know about the following big payments (or offers too):

Brian Bowen 150K
Ayton 100K
Dennis Smith JR. 77K

All were of course five stars. I’m pretty confident that we’ll see a lot more of it and this is simply how high end basketball recruiting is done.
Kevin White $72.81
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RaisingArizona wrote:So far we know about the following big payments (or offers too):

Brian Bowen 150K
Ayton 100K
Dennis Smith JR. 77K

Check out the article I posted above. At some point, Josh Jackson's mom was getting paid by Under Armour, Adidas and ASM. UA was 10k a month and it's not clear on the rest.

Good lord.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RaisingArizona wrote:
Would we hire someone from a school that was also implicated? Seems unlikely
At this point, who isn't implicated.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Brian Bowen 150K
Ayton 100K
Dennis Smith JR. 77K

Check out the article I posted above. At some point, Josh Jackson's mom was getting paid by Under Armour, Adidas and ASM. UA was 10k a month and it's not clear on the rest.

Good lord.
Again, what is the basis upon which relative guilt is determined? And what good does it render to fans?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

If all this true Sean really really damaged what Lute built.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My wife just got a text about this. Unreal.

I truly am in shock.
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:If all this true Sean really really damaged what Lute built.
Lute played the same game everyone else is playing. Don't be so naive.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:If all this true Sean really really damaged what Lute built.
Looks like a lot of "buildings" are crumbling down.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

How much longer until Arizona and miller release statements.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Frybry02 wrote:How much longer until Arizona and miller release statements.
I would guess early A.M.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If Miller discussed 100K for Ayton, how much did Bagley cost Duke? Just a scholarship?

On another note, I think the bar for reporting has never been lower. ESPN is citing "sources" familiar with the FBI investigation. What "sources?" I don't the accuracy of the information, but I find it terrible journalism to cite sources without naming them.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Frybry02 wrote:How much longer until Arizona and miller release statements.
We’re all waiting. Either soon or first thing tomorrow.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lol every major coach and program since Wooden have done this.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Lol every major coach and program since Wooden have done this.
You mean .........INCLUDING Wooden, no?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wooden just ignored Sam Gilbert, so yes he was complicit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Brian Bowen 150K
Ayton 100K
Dennis Smith JR. 77K

Good lord.
Again, what is the basis upon which relative guilt is determined? And what good does it render to fans?
I mean, I wouldn't jump the gun on Miller.

Just from the info released today:

Michigan State coaches directly negotiated steering players in exchange for Brian Bowen. So did an ex-Indiana coach.

Half the ACC had players paid by ASM. Clemson, Virginia...before you even get to the free dinners.

Kansas took Josh Jackson at a time he was getting paid by 2 different shoe companies and an agent.

WICHITA STATE had a paid player for God's sake.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Brian Bowen 150K
Ayton 100K
Dennis Smith JR. 77K

Good lord.
I mean, I wouldn't jump the gun on Miller.

Just from the info released today:

Michigan State coaches directly negotiated steering players in exchange for Brian Bowen. So did an ex-Indiana coach.

Half the ACC had players paid by ASM. Clemson, Virginia...before you even get to the free dinners.

Kansas took Josh Jackson at a time he was getting paid by 2 different shoe companies and an agent.

WICHITA STATE had a paid player for God's sake.
Got it. Believe me, I got it. Emotionally (not conceptually) I'm clinging to comfort of a resolution as much as any fan, but my dependence on the guilt of others leaves me without comfort. It's like saying my coach is Lance Armstrong without the victories. See what I mean?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

I said it before, maybe not on this board, but college basketball and football should divorce the NCAA and the colleges. They should become professional minor leagues. What does that do to college sports? Make it for amateurs, real life amateurs. The schools can make some cash by licensing their brands and facilities back to the minor league teams. There, problem fixed.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Every coach at every major program has played the same game for years. It's naive to believe otherwise. I find it comical that everyone is shocked that the truth is out that, "yes, players have actually been getting paid." And frankly, I could care less that Ayton got paid by a shoe company or an agent. Or Miles Bridges. Or Josh Jackson. Or whoever. The games are played on the court. How a player got there is irrelevant. This has been going on for decades. Coaches are guilty. Players are guilty. Parents are guilty. But somehow the NCAA and all the people who hold jobs at university athletic departments and take home six-figure salaries are clean even though they benefit financially from a system where the people who actually create the enormous revenue receive very little compensation.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Great post, zg.

I’m still too rattled and numb to really process all of this, but your perspective is still helpful and insightful.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

CalStateTempe wrote:
He's implicated with Van Fleet.
Damn. I didn't know that Marshall's name came up in all this. That's a bummer since I wanted him if Miller ever bolted.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Basnight was right.

There isn’t enough alcohol for this level of pain.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

zonagrad wrote:Every coach at every major program has played the same game for years. It's naive to believe otherwise. I find it comical that everyone is shocked that the truth is out that, "yes, players have actually been getting paid." And frankly, I could care less that Ayton got paid by a shoe company or an agent. Or Miles Bridges. Or Josh Jackson. Or whoever. The games are played on the court. How a player got there is irrelevant. This has been going on for decades. Coaches are guilty. Players are guilty. Parents are guilty. But somehow the NCAA and all the people who hold jobs at university athletic departments and take home six-figure salaries are clean even though they benefit financially from a system where the people who actually create the enormous revenue receive very little compensation.
Right. Agree. But it has no bearing as to consequence.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

zonagrad wrote:Every coach at every major program has played the same game for years. It's naive to believe otherwise. I find it comical that everyone is shocked that the truth is out that, "yes, players have actually been getting paid." And frankly, I could care less that Ayton got paid by a shoe company or an agent. Or Miles Bridges. Or Josh Jackson. Or whoever. The games are played on the court. How a player got there is irrelevant. This has been going on for decades. Coaches are guilty. Players are guilty. Parents are guilty. But somehow the NCAA and all the people who hold jobs at university athletic departments and take home six-figure salaries are clean even though they benefit financially from a system where the people who actually create the enormous revenue receive very little compensation.
but the schools that are not implicated or haven't been able to play this game (i.e. colorado) will have this over the Arizona's of the world...so it does matter..you gotta play by the rules or changes the rules.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Preach.

The NCAA's model is based on a system where tons of people want to pay players, players want to be paid, it is a smart financial decision for everyone...and the NCAA slaps down arbitrary rules to prevent all of that. Then, they get shocked that when there are literally millions of dollars at stake for everyone, people don't abide by their rules.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UALoco wrote:
but the schools that are not implicated or haven't been able to play this game (i.e. colorado) will have this over the Arizona's of the world...so it does matter..you gotta play by the rules or changes the rules.
If you think Colorado hasn't had a player receive extra benefits, I have some prime real estate in Aspen to sell you.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azthrillhouse wrote:Basnight was right.

There isn’t enough alcohol for this level of pain.
Ahem ... some of us are prepared but as yet are just approaching the needed level of medicinal comfort. Give me time. I need time.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UALoco wrote:
If you think Colorado hasn't had a player receive extra benefits, I have some prime real estate in Aspen to sell you.
we'll I know there has to be one D1 team that didn't pay a player...give them the championship now.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

UALoco wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UALoco wrote:
we'll I know there has to be one D1 team that didn't pay a player...give them the championship now.
I guess an Ivy League school should win the championship by default.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It’s hard to put this in some kind of communicable frame of reference. My wife is being great and letting me vent about all of it. But really, it still feels so strange and sad. Can’t compare it to a death because, well, nobody died. But I do feel a sense of loss, even grief.

I’ve followed this program for so many years. Have watched them rise and fall so many times. Through it all, there’s always been the undercurrent of pride and hope. Lute brought excellence and grace to AZ basketball. Feels like it’s been taken away tonight.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UALoco wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UALoco wrote:
Alabama A&M is last in KenPom, RPI, and Sagarin. 2-25. Give them the trophy - if they are paying players they are doing it wrong.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion