let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Choo what are you concerned with? Defections from our current class? I am excited about the idea of bringing in better talent as some of these guys who would return just have not developed like we had hoped. Would love to know the area of your concern
Concerned with recruiting more guys at DD's position that may cause him to want to transfer.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Smith already took his redshirt year, so unless he goes Div II or grad transfer, the Cats are stuck with him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Smith already took his redshirt year, so unless he goes Div II or grad transfer, the Cats are stuck with him.
Grad transfer.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Choo what are you concerned with? Defections from our current class? I am excited about the idea of bringing in better talent as some of these guys who would return just have not developed like we had hoped. Would love to know the area of your concern
Concerned with recruiting more guys at DD's position that may cause him to want to transfer.
Thx for all your great contributions. I like DD and really feel special about him as he was the first to commit after last years debacle. I hope he stays and finds a spot in the rotation.

It seems Miller is really all in on next year and is ready to gut the roster and with exception to a few guys they all might be told to seek other opportunities
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Oumar Ballo committed to Gonzaga.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We need DD back next year. I can see him making a big freshman to sophomore leap.

Sparkplug
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:We need DD back next year. I can see him making a big freshman to sophomore leap.

Sparkplug
Will be really depressing if things play out as they're expected to. There's still time though.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

DD was really clutch tonight. The 3 from the corner was really timely, the spin in the lane and then the game winning dunk. OSU wins this game easily without him
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:We need DD back next year. I can see him making a big freshman to sophomore leap.

Sparkplug
Will be really depressing if things play out as they're expected to. There's still time though.
Hope he is around. I'd hate to see him transfer out.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Sparkplug
I obviously don't know anything on the matter, but if DD continues to get real minutes the rest of the year (hopefully at least 7 more games!!!)
and Miller gives him some sort of assurances that he will be 1 or our first guards off of the bench next year with a chance to play significant minutes his Jr and Sr years.... why wouldn't he do that rather then sitting out a year?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Sparkplug
I obviously don't know anything on the matter, but if DD continues to get real minutes the rest of the year (hopefully at least 7 more games!!!)
and Miller gives him some sort of assurances that he will be 1 or our first guards off of the bench next year with a chance to play significant minutes his Jr and Sr years.... why wouldn't he do that rather then sitting out a year?
I hope that's enough.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Sparkplug
I hope that's enough.
I'm guessing it would be either DD or TA first off the bench at the wing spot. We all know CSM will default to the better defender. That is assuming that BR and DS are gone. At the same time, who knows who else will be coming in with Miller stilling looking to add a couple more to the class.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If Miller is smart he immediately puts DD ahead of Dylan Smith on the depth chart for the rest of the season.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I'd tell him now that next year he is no worse than the first guy off the bench. I think he'd be great in that role.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:If Miller is smart he immediately puts DD ahead of Dylan Smith on the depth chart for the rest of the season.
I agree with this. Smith's had a lot of shots to show what he can do and it's the same thing every time.
prh

Post by prh »

Alieberman wrote:If Miller is smart he immediately puts DD ahead of Dylan Smith on the depth chart for the rest of the season.
I wish this had happened from the start of the year. It was clear we weren't going anywhere, and Smith hasn't been any better than last year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Didn't Smith have 2 3's to open the game and was 3 for 4 for the first half?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Yes.
I believe he scored 8 of the first 11points.
Unfortunately, he couldn’t keep up that pace.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Sparkplug

That is sad. This modern day culture of youth/college basketball has become so jaded.

I mean if Williams/Mannion/Green all play 30 minutes (a stretch I think) there is still 30 minutes available in the backcourt/wing. 5 probably go to Barcello to bridge any PG minutes. That leaves 25 minutes available from DD/Armstrong. Or Randolph/Armstrong.

If these guys are not willing to take minutes from an incoming freshman... then sadly maybe it is addition by subtraction.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Man would really suck for DD for leave.

Co-sign on giving him more amounts over smith the rest of the year
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Man would really suck for DD for leave.

Co-sign on giving him more amounts over smith the rest of the year
DD will stay. It's going to be Smith who won't be back next year.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

that's what I have been thinking...Smith will be leaving and deep down I believe BR will stay as well.
prh

Post by prh »

Smith and Randolph leaving isn't depressing though. DD/Williams/Jeter would be
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

prh wrote:Smith and Randolph leaving isn't depressing though. DD/Williams/Jeter would be
I agree: losing any of those latter three would really suck. But losing BW or CJ would hurt a lot more than losing DD, imo.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jeter has to come back now just to shake off the soft label and to prove he can make it through a season without getting hurt.

Looking at his stats, he did play in 32 of Duke's 36 games as a freshman. Don't know if the 4 missed games were due to injury or just coach's choice.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Jeter has to come back now just to shake off the soft label and to prove he can make it through a season without getting hurt.

Looking at his stats, he did play in 32 of Duke's 36 games as a freshman. Don't know if the 4 missed games were due to injury or just coach's choice.
If memory serves, CJ just didn't play very well as a freshman. He struggled to get into that rotation.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:Jeter has to come back now just to shake off the soft label and to prove he can make it through a season without getting hurt.

If memory serves, CJ just didn't play very well as a freshman. He struggled to get into that rotation.
It wasn't bad...he was the 7/8 player for them, played in all 32 games he was available. Not one and done freshmen #s but not bad at Duke for a 3/4 year player.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Honestly I'd look at the JUCO ranks to fill that Jeter insurance role. The grad transfer market at his position is not good at all.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Honestly I'd look at the JUCO ranks to fill that Jeter insurance role. The grad transfer market at his position is not good at all.
So not potential high school reclassifications? Any JuCo bigs that are available/interesting?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Honestly I'd look at the JUCO ranks to fill that Jeter insurance role. The grad transfer market at his position is not good at all.
So not potential high school reclassifications? Any JuCo bigs that are available/interesting?
I don't know of many and quite frankly none of the guys we're on at that position for 2020 are in position to do so. There's one JUCO big who I'm not at liberty to name yet that we're looking at, I'm not sure how far that goes though. My guess is JUCO is the route we take.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
I don't know of many and quite frankly none of the guys we're on at that position for 2020 are in position to do so. There's one JUCO big who I'm not at liberty to name yet that we're looking at, I'm not sure how far that goes though. My guess is JUCO is the route we take.
Interesting...thanks Choo.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Does anyone know, or have a link to an explanation, of all the crazy results we need to get to that 4 seed?

I know like 5 different things have to happen, but not sure what...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

EVCat wrote:Does anyone know, or have a link to an explanation, of all the crazy results we need to get to that 4 seed?

I know like 5 different things have to happen, but not sure what...
https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 7090a.html" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ok...that was before Thursday....

So it is done? No out to 4? Pascoe doesn't come out and say it today but infers that is the case...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just beat ASU. If we can get a little momentum heading into next week, anything can happen.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... si-s-notes" target="_blank

.... An intriguing big man option in 2019 is Rick Assanza. A legit seven-foooter who is quick off his feet, has a solid upper body and plays with some fire, he's a piece that makes a few plays a game that make you shake your head and wonder how much potential he might have. Offensively he's still working, but the Phoenix (Ariz.) Hillcrest senior has only been playing for three years and there is a lot of raw talent to work with. He's been offered by Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU with Oregon, LSU, VCU, Arizona and Arizona State among those showing interest.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote:https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... si-s-notes

.... An intriguing big man option in 2019 is Rick Assanza. A legit seven-foooter who is quick off his feet, has a solid upper body and plays with some fire, he's a piece that makes a few plays a game that make you shake your head and wonder how much potential he might have. Offensively he's still working, but the Phoenix (Ariz.) Hillcrest senior has only been playing for three years and there is a lot of raw talent to work with. He's been offered by Baylor, Texas Tech and TCU with Oregon, LSU, VCU, Arizona and Arizona State among those showing interest.
Interesting. Maybe our last piece to the '19 class.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He seems very similar to Koloko.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

He seems very similar to Koloko.
Yeah, not sure we need another 4 year development big.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I dunno. He keeps bringing the ball down before he dunks. Not a good sign when you are that big and need to do that. He will get stripped every time in Div I.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What, then, is our biggest remaining need in filling out the 2019 roster?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:What, then, is our biggest remaining need in filling out the 2019 roster?
A 5 capable of providing immediate minutes.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I agree with this. Smith's had a lot of shots to show what he can do and it's the same thing every time.
Problem is, Smith seems to be the better defender. That’s what most of the analyst say.
And we know Miller defaults to the better defender
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:What, then, is our biggest remaining need in filling out the 2019 roster?
In addition to Jeter? Like a backup?
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Yes we are thin on the frontline. We all saw what happened when Jeter was out. Different team.

Obviously next year will be different but slight chance Jeter moves on. We need to have a contingency for Jeter leaving or being injured. Koloko won’t be read and we have no other rim protectors.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yes.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Is it November yet?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yes.
I don’t fully understand the need for a 5 if Jeter comes back. That would mean basically 3 players (Ira, Gettings, Nnaji) for the PF spot...just seems like having 4 bigs in the rotation is enough. I’d rather get a wing shooter.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yes.
I don’t fully understand the need for a 5 if Jeter comes back. That would mean basically 3 players (Ira, Gettings, Nnaji) for the PF spot...just seems like having 4 bigs in the rotation is enough. I’d rather get a wing shooter.
I fail to see how having 3 guys best suited to play the 4 helps us with depth at the 5 sling? Do you trust Jeter to not get hurt and/or play through pain? Jeter gets hurt then you probably start Nnaji at the 5 and you have a 6'7 effort guy and another Ryan Luther type as your only other options if Jeter is out.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Definitely need someone to back Jeter up at the 5.