ghostwhitehorse

Re: let's talk '20

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... diminishes

Any AZ interest, Choo?
My guess is he stays midwest/east. There wasn't a past relationship here. Maybe Murphy could push for something with his Chicago connections, but there's nothing here that I am currently aware of.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... diminishes

Any AZ interest, Choo?
My guess is he stays midwest/east. There wasn't a past relationship here.
Maybe Baker initiates the UK to AZ pipeline!
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

CCC,

Does Arizona have any interest in taking a PF/C deep in the rankings for depth behind Ira/Brown/Koloko?

Guys like:
Dishon Jackson
Maj Dusanic
jabari walker (good genes)

Or do you expect CSM to go back to the GT well?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:CCC,

Does Arizona have any interest in taking a PF/C deep in the rankings for depth behind Ira/Brown/Koloko?

Guys like:
Dishon Jackson
Maj Dusanic

Highly likely it'll be a GT.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Guys like:
Dishon Jackson
Maj Dusanic

Just feels like that is a failing strategy for CSM and exacerbates the lack of roster consistency. How much PT can you really offer a GT next season (assuming Lee stays). Just seems a better bet would be to see if Dishon Jackson could get healthy and live up to his athletic gifts or on a late bloomer like walker (a fan of legacy athletes in general).
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Samaki Walker’s kid is about to start college? Like I needed more help feeling old.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Guys like:
Dishon Jackson
Maj Dusanic

Just feels like that is a failing strategy for CSM and exacerbates the lack of roster consistency. How much PT can you really offer a GT next season (assuming Lee stays). Just seems a better bet would be to see if Dishon Jackson could get healthy and live up to his athletic gifts or on a late bloomer like walker (a fan of legacy athletes in general).
Do what we do.
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

Yay, bring in another GT who won't understand the pack line, won't rebound, or provide anything else of substance.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Statfreak77 wrote:Yay, bring in another GT who won't understand the pack line, won't rebound, or provide anything else of substance.
Do what we do.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

As long as our coach doesn't have to try to develop a player for his rigid schemes that require a lot of experience, things will work great!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:Yay, bring in another GT who won't understand the pack line, won't rebound, or provide anything else of substance.
Do what we do.
Thought you were gone?

Maybe we can get Tony Bennett to play zone....or watch Syr break out a man to man trap.....oh wait both those guys won national championship by DWWD. You got to do what you know works and Miller's winning percentage shows me he knows what he does best and how to win.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Do what we do.
Thought you were gone?

Maybe we can get Tony Bennett to play zone....or watch Syr break out a man to man trap.....oh wait both those guys won national championship by DWWD. You got to do what you know works and Miller's winning percentage shows me he knows what he does best and how to win.
I mean obviously those guys got their guys to do what they do harder than Miller gets our guys to do what we do. It's truly science.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Serious question about recruiting: is part of the strategy these days to target players with elite talent but who won’t be OAD? I ask because I can’t help notice that Kansas, like AZ, has three guys expected to be selected in the first round of the next NBA Draft. The difference? For us, it’s three freshmen. For them, it’s two sophomores and one senior. Kansas is not expected to have any of their freshmen leave early. And yet, they’re ranked in the top 5 with FF aspirations; we’re unranked and just happy to be dancing.

It’s not as though Self hasn’t had OADs. He’s had Oubre, Wiggins, Embiid and probably some others I’m forgetting. But he’s also getting these elite players (Dotson, Azubuike) who are sticking around long enough to make a much more meaningful impact on that program. Kansas is just one example. Michigan State, Nova and Gonzaga are a few others.

Is our ‘19 class actually worth very little in the bigger scheme of things when you consider how little time these guys will be at AZ?

Just trying to examine our recruiting strategy relative to programs currently having greater success.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Serious question about recruiting: is part of the strategy these days to target players with elite talent but who won’t be OAD? I ask because I can’t help notice that Kansas, like AZ, has three guys expected to be selected in the first round of the next NBA Draft. The difference? For us, it’s three freshmen. For them, it’s two sophomores and one senior. Kansas is not expected to have any of their freshmen leave early. And yet, they’re ranked in the top 5 with FF aspirations; we’re unranked and just happy to be dancing.

It’s not as though Self hasn’t had OADs. He’s had Oubre, Wiggins, Embiid and probably some others I’m forgetting. But he’s also getting these elite players (Dotson, Azubuike) who are sticking around long enough to make a much more meaningful impact on that program. Kansas is just one example. Michigan State, Nova and Gonzaga are a few others.

Is our ‘19 class actually worth very little in the bigger scheme of things when you consider how little time these guys will be at AZ?

Just trying to examine our recruiting strategy relative to programs currently having greater success.
The '19 class was worth every thing to Sean Miller as it bought him more time among the fanbase and further earned trust among his very good best buddy boosters. Was it worth much in regards to how much we'll win this year? Well it was in the sense we'll win more this year than last year, but in the tourney? No, not worth dick at all very likely.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Serious question about recruiting: is part of the strategy these days to target players with elite talent but who won’t be OAD? I ask because I can’t help notice that Kansas, like AZ, has three guys expected to be selected in the first round of the next NBA Draft. The difference? For us, it’s three freshmen. For them, it’s two sophomores and one senior. Kansas is not expected to have any of their freshmen leave early. And yet, they’re ranked in the top 5 with FF aspirations; we’re unranked and just happy to be dancing.

The '19 class was worth every thing to Sean Miller as it bought him more time among the fanbase and further earned trust among his very good best buddy boosters. Was it worth much in regards to how much we'll win this year? Well it was in the sense we'll win more this year than last year, but in the tourney? No, not worth dick at all very likely.
That all makes sense, Choo.

Frustrating to have so many top five players/classes and have so little tourney success to show for it. It's not just that you have to get these players. You have to get the right players within this super small subset.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That was a man's drive to the hoop by Mathurin. Damn.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think Sean has hinted at two or three more HS players. A couple of grad or other transfers to fill in the roster.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Choo did Jason give away the international pg recruit today you were referring to?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Beachcat97 wrote:That was a man's drive to the hoop by Mathurin. Damn.
Looks like a concussion there the way his brain bounced off the ground
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lando05 wrote:Choo did Jason give away the international pg recruit today you were referring to?
Not that I'm aware of, no.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Lando05 wrote:Choo did Jason give away the international pg recruit today you were referring to?
Ok.he mentioned an international pg that is gonna go pro that we aren't recruiting anymore.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lando05 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Ok.he mentioned an international pg that is gonna go pro that we aren't recruiting anymore.
That's Josh Giddey whom if he went to college was a 2021 guy and that's not the guy I was referring to. I don't even know if the guy I was referring to is still on the table, hell I haven't bothered to ask any one any thing in over a month or so and honestly I'm not planning on doing so for awhile.

Either way I'm tired of hiding this guy's identity, so I'll give you a clue that his first name is the same as a former Arizona player's last name.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Kerr Kriisa?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

If that’s him in a big fan.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NickyBCats wrote:Kerr Kriisa?

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

But...no longer recruiting him?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Nnaji, Koloko and Brown. Best front court in the country?

Stay for 2 Zeke!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote:Nnaji, Koloko and Brown. Best front court in the country?

Stay for 2 Zeke!
Oh man. Can you imagine? That would be like Tucson Skyline 2.0

Zeke is gonzo.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Heard his parents want him to stay for 1 more and this guy wouldn't say it if it wasn't true
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Zeke is playing amazing, but he will be facing much taller/athletic players every night in the NBA. He struggles getting his shot blocked sometimes in those situations.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Of our three freshmen, Zeke is the first one I'd choose to have back next year. That kind of size and talent is just rare.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Stay for 2 Zeke!
Don’t forget a senior in Ira
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Do what we do.
Lol.

But next time will be different!
eoe

Post by eoe »

CalStateTempe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Do what we do.
Lol.

But next time will be different!
Were the additions of Gettings and Hazzard not good enough for you?

You can't scream for one and done/top flight recruits, complain about no senior leadership, and gripe about adding graduate transfers all at once.

Well, you can, but...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don’t scream for one and done, I’d much rather have Miller commit to 20-50 level ranked recruits and try to keep the for 2 years and then build a revolving farm system at the 50-100 level that banks on 3-4year player development with one OAD, peppered in for the x factor.

GT seems more variable, hit or miss, then selecting and coaching up your own.

Especially when they have to learn and play and execute pack line. Just because they are grad transfers doesn’t mean you are getting “senior leadership”. That has to be cultivated from within IMO.

But then you gotta get those pesky 50-100 level players to stay. So here we are at the grad transfer market.

For every stone and hazzard, there are like 20 of that dude from USF.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well I hope you guys warm up to the idea of transfers, because of this new rule of making guys eligible immediately upon transferring, wooooooo we're going to lose plenty and add plenty.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

DWWD
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:DWWD
Roster continuity is definitely not DWWD.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Choo was Kerr Kriisa the guy you were talking about?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:Well I hope you guys warm up to the idea of transfers, because of this new rule of making guys eligible immediately upon transferring, wooooooo we're going to lose plenty and add plenty.
It will conceivably make roster stability that much more complicated. AZ is already losing players prematurely at an alarming rate, just image when these guys can transfer without any penalty?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Stay for 2 Zeke!

Zeke is gonzo.
Yes he is, and thanks for the memory NOT!

That LSU game where Shaq destroyed the Tucson Skyline was the one that made me hate Dick Vitale forever.

That Skyline had 3 NBAers, with Rooks and BDub having long careers. RIP big men!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

midnightx wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Well I hope you guys warm up to the idea of transfers, because of this new rule of making guys eligible immediately upon transferring, wooooooo we're going to lose plenty and add plenty.
It will conceivably make roster stability that much more complicated. AZ is already losing players prematurely at an alarming rate, just image when these guys can transfer without any penalty?
Yup.

Are they having fun?

You’re at Arizona; you compete daily against the best, you should be having fun.

I suspect DWWD isn’t a lot of “fun”

Especially when your talent is limited in a midmajor style of play.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Stay for 2 Zeke!

Zeke is gonzo.

That LSU game where Shaq destroyed the Tucson Skyline was the one that made me hate Dick Vitale forever.

That Skyline had 3 NBAers, with Rooks and BDub having long careers. RIP big men!

You mean the game at LSU where everytime we laid a finger on Shaq it was a foul, and Shaq went over the back on almost every play and never got called for fouls?

We did beat Shaq in Tucson the year before I believe.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Choo was Kerr Kriisa the guy you were talking about?
I don't care any more.

Yes.

I have no idea if he's still an option anymore or not.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Stay for 2 Zeke!

Zeke is gonzo.

You mean the game at LSU where everytime we laid a finger on Shaq it was a foul, and Shaq went over the back on almost every play and never got called for fouls?

We did beat Shaq in Tucson the year before I believe.
It was the year after, and Shaq didn't give a sh*t.