Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Beachcat97 »

Thanks, guys. This thread is offering solace and good vibes during some truly frustrating times.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:38 pm The current saddest one for me?

Sean Miller had a top 15 team returning with room to add talent in the transfer portal, then the UA president got involved.
Jeez dude, way too soon.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:40 pm Cracking1!

azgreg was about to post the gif where the swimsuit comes off and then the UA president got involved.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Well.... Tuesday is coming to end... It's safe to assume everything is fucked.... right?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

yes
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:40 pm Cracking1!

Then the UA president got involved!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

George Armstrong Custer and his 7th Cavalry were kicking butt, then the UA president got involved.
Last edited by BBQ wildcat on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Ok, engage panic mode

Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Never in my wildest dreams did I think Pastner would start looking good.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:03 pm Never in my wildest dreams did I think Pastner would start looking good.
I would rather have 80 year old Larry Brown. NCAA natty AND NBA champion.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

I think it's time to call our good buddy Herb Sendeck
I said what I said and I mean it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What's Rob Evans up to these days?
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:01 pm Ok, engage panic mode
Sigh. I've been trying not to. But here's what will happen. The media will shift from a "UA had to move on from Miller" to a "Arizona is a dumpster fire". Half of the first group will decide that it's all Sean Miller's fault that we're a dumpster fire, and the louder national half won't even bother with that because they don't care. They only hated Miller because he was at Arizona. Now they just hate what's left of us. So it will become popular to talk about how were in a terrible situation and coaches don't want to come here to be a part of this mess. They'll debate on whether UA should have waited out the mess with Miller or let him go years ago, but it's too late for that discussion. (We've already had it months ago and (most of us) came to the right conclusion, but we're not in charge, obs.) So the narrative will become one of how bad is Arizona? They'll speculate about the sanctions we'll receive. They'll detail the recruits we lost and speculate about the transfers we'll lose. Then quickly that will be a reality. The cupboard will be bare. Then the media will talk about how no one will come to a school with sanctions and no players and an inept administration. And then they'll stop. Because we won't matter. They'll talk about us like they talk about the lobos. Not at all. The administration will admit that the have no coach, and this will be about 4 weeks too late. They'll say they're resuming the hunt next year. The arbitration will happen and we'll get back in the news for a minute. They'll charge us for everything we did, everything Kansas did, everything Louisville did, everything Duke did. Etc. It will be an unprecedented 4-7 year ban - whatever the worst has been historically, 1.5x that, at least. Hopefully it will include language against the AD and then he'll be fired. But likely it will stop short of that so that nothing will have to change. That's that and we'll be done for the next half decade. Assuming the next hire is a HOF coach, we may be in a post season game in 2030.

Meanwhile, Kansas, who stuck by their coach, will win the National Championship in 2023.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:04 pm It's funny how the Illinois game circulates in my subconscious as among the most devastating events of my life. Will the sting from that loss ever go away completely?

This game will live rent free in my head for eternity.

There are others from time to time i think about like UConn and Hornes shot and the bullshit 3rd foul on DWill, the Duke title game where Williams should’ve fouled out for surfing Gardner (not to mention should’ve never gotten past Maryland) or Gil didn’t get hurt v Sparty , Kansas upsetting us in 03 when we had the best team and Gardners shot came up just short.

But NONE will ever top that Illini game. Wisconsin the first time around is close i guess.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:52 pm Arizona was up big on Illinois in the Elite 8 in '05, and then the UA president got involved.
Too far
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PennZona20 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:35 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:04 pm It's funny how the Illinois game circulates in my subconscious as among the most devastating events of my life. Will the sting from that loss ever go away completely?

This game will live rent free in my head for eternity.

There are others from time to time i think about like UConn and Hornes shot and the bullshit 3rd foul on DWill, the Duke title game where Williams should’ve fouled out for surfing Gardner (not to mention should’ve never gotten past Maryland) or Gil didn’t get hurt v Sparty , Kansas upsetting us in 03 when we had the best team and Gardners shot came up just short.

But NONE will ever top that Illini game. Wisconsin the first time around is close i guess.
Yep. I'm embarrassed to admit that I was so sure this game was in the bag that I walked to the kitchen when we were up...what was it? 14? 15?...and started making dinner. When I got back...well...Bill fucking Murray was way too happy.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Santa Clara, 1993, first round. I think we held them scoreless the last 4 minutes of the first half, and v the first 5 minutes of the second half. Then the UA President got involved.

Miller has been tried, convicted, and executed by the court of public opinion already. But back in the real world, it's doubtful we get more than 2 years post season ban. And we've already served one. We had a top 16 team coming back next year. Ride or die with Miller was the right choice. Best case, we're back in the Tournament. Worst case. Bad penalty or bad season, and don't renew Miller. Saves $1.5 million, and we don't fire a coach 5v weeks after our season ends.

But now, it's a shitshow. Why? Because the UArizona President got involved.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I don't remember the Illinois game much at all. The benefits of growing older I guess
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Fuck Ricky Bobby and his lap dog. I’ve spent too much time and money on these fucks. BTW, ABOR is loving this. They for years have been pro-ASU and don’t think differently. I just wish the Tucson media would get a fucking brain and tell the average fan they, and Lute’s legacy are being screwed.

Oh, the ladies had the WBB championship locked, then Robbins blocked Aari’s throws and several layups.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Bear Down Wildcats was about to send Enfuego back to the shadow and then the UA president got involved.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

In 2017, Arizona football had Ken Niumatalolo in the bag, and then the UA president got involved.

Or is this limited to stuff that didn't actually happen.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Is it too late to rehire Sean Miller?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AZCatGirl wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:24 pm Is it too late to rehire Sean Miller?
It's the right move, but zero chance. Sadly.

I just wish we could reverse to a week ago and not pull the stupid trigger. But time only runs one way.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If we are lucky enough to extend Murphy as interim for a year, a strong hire next April could snag a good batch of new recruits immediately. That's actually how it works.

Suspend the search!
BeardownZonaZona

Ok does anyone actually know what's going on? I doubt it. Even Robbins is probably lost
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:34 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:24 pm Is it too late to rehire Sean Miller?
It's the right move, but zero chance. Sadly.

I just wish we could reverse to a week ago and not pull the stupid trigger. But time only runs one way.
I wish we could hit the fast forward button and just get this over with. Hire whoever Robbins pulls out of his ass so we can get the Arizona Basketball is now mediocre party started.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:08 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:06 pm Jason Williams was about to pick up his 3rd foul by riding on Jason Gardner's back, and then the UofA President got involved.
Oh shit. I was in Maloney's in Westwood watching this.
I was in the Metrodome. My 1st Final Four. Said "I will be at every future Final Four we are in."

Under 4 time out in 2005, my wife asks when i was leaving for St Louis. My plane tickets were already purchased and hotel reserved.

I've been to 3 Final Fours since...none with us. Notably, I was at the 2014 Final Four because I bought a non-refundable plane ticket when we beat Michigan...figured i had an old friend in the Meteoplex that I'd hang out with and see some hoops even if the improbable happened and we didn't make it. That's how I ended up in a boarding line with Nick's mom and learned she was flying out to be with her son when he announced he was going pro. 2015...I waited to see. Good move.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The play at Ford Theater was really good, until the U of A President got involved.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Isildur son of Elendil was ready to destroy the One Ring in the fires of Mordor, then the U of A President got involved...
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The Falcons were about to win a Super Bowl, until the u of a president drew up some plays.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Archduke Ferdinand was having a pretty good day, until the U of A President got involved.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona will 're-evaluate' basketball coaching search :? :roll:
ByAustin Nivison 13 hours ago

Now, Scheer reports, Arizona is going back to the drawing board. Lloyd may still be on the Wildcats’ radar, but the school may just restart and contact some new candidates for the position.

“Sources indicate that Arizona will re-evaluate its options on Tuesday,” Scheer writes (VIP). “That could mean it will offer a candidate, but we have heard there is also a possibility that the administration basically starts over and reaches out to a few others.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Arizona-b ... 164111773/
Last edited by HiCat on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

HiCat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:34 am Arizona will 're-evaluate' basketball coaching search :? :roll:
ByAustin Nivison 13 hours ago

After firing head coach Sean Miller, Arizona basketball is still searching for his replacement. According to Jason Scheer of Wildcat Authority, the Wildcats might be hitting the reset button on this coaching search.

When Miller was fired by the program, the assumption was that Arizona would immediately go after Gonzaga assistant coach Tommy Lloyd. That has yet to come to fruition, and Scheer noted that the Wildcats had their sights set on Arkansas head coach Eric Musselman. With the Razorbacks and Musselman reportedly discussing a contract extension, that might be out of the question.

Now, Scheer reports, Arizona is going back to the drawing board. Lloyd may still be on the Wildcats’ radar, but the school may just restart and contact some new candidates for the position.

“Sources indicate that Arizona will re-evaluate its options on Tuesday,” Scheer writes (VIP). “That could mean it will offer a candidate, but we have heard there is also a possibility that the administration basically starts over and reaches out to a few others.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Arizona-b ... 164111773/
If this is true, we are headed in to realms of bad decision making usually reserved for dictators in bunkers and guys at the bar at 2:15!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It could mean this...it could mean that.

The only thing it does mean is this is the worst handling of a coaching change in recent times.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

I wish I had the computer skillz to edit Wikipedia pages. It would serve no purpose and it’s infantile, but adding the current situation to certain pages would make me smile.
BeardownZonaZona

No from what I'm seeing it'll be wrapped up soon. They got a handful of candidates they've narrowed it down to. Jason got some new info later in the day
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Is the info you are referencing in the article POM linked in a different thread?
-Norlander.
BeardownZonaZona

I'm not going to get rick rolled...
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:18 pm Scheer with an interesting (free) article on robbins/heeke meeting with miller

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/Article/robbins-heeke-meet-with-miller-164115507/
There it is, got it moved over.
-Norlander.
BeardownZonaZona

Already read that yesterday :)
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona's search to replace Sean Miller a 'debacle,' Wildcats legend Richard Jefferson says
Jeremy Cluff, Arizona Republic
Wed, April 14, 2021, 5:12 AM

"This can’t be true," Bramlett tweeted. "The damage done from this kind of decision without feedback from the alumni will kill the support from all of us. One of the most valuable assets we have is our history and it needs to be the first thing considered."
"The damage has already been done by the UofA admin on how they parted ways with Miller," Bramlett replied with "That doesn’t have anything to do with who the next coach is and getting feedback from one of the strongest if not the strongest group of alumni in college basketball."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/arizonas-s ... 31317.html
Last edited by HiCat on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

...so now we can speculate that Arenas and Bramlett (and others) may have stepped in and told Heeke (Robbins) to stop the Lloyd hire.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

MountainCat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:21 am ...so now we can speculate that Arenas and Bramlett (and others) may have stepped in and told Heeke (Robbins) to stop the Lloyd hire.
So Arizona was all set to hire Lloyd and then Arenas got involved.

Not sure that's better. If you're the AD and you got a guy you like so much that you fire a beloved coach for him, despite the cares of the players, boosters, alumni and fans, then why start listening to alumni at the last minute. Stick to your guns.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yeah. I love Gilbert, but he doesn’t know what the hell he’s talking about with Lloyd and Gonzaga. He sounds like someone who doesn’t pay much attention to college hoops.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azpatnca wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:25 am
MountainCat wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:21 am ...so now we can speculate that Arenas and Bramlett (and others) may have stepped in and told Heeke (Robbins) to stop the Lloyd hire.
So Arizona was all set to hire Lloyd and then Arenas got involved.

Not sure that's better. If you're the AD and you got a guy you like so much that you fire a beloved coach for him, despite the cares of the players, boosters, alumni and fans, then why start listening to alumni at the last minute. Stick to your guns.
I mean, we can wildly speculate that that happened, but does anyone honestly think that Robbins would listen to Gil and let him affect his thinking on this? Or that he even knows who AJ Bramlett is?

Bobby doesn't strike me as the "listen to advice before making a big decision" kind of guy. Instead, I honestly think he has a god complex. I mean, look at the useless bag of skin he hired as his AD.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Arenas "getting involved" is a not exactly an accurate description of the situation. If you poll 20 different alums from the Lute era, you're likely to get 20 different opinions -- and not all of them are good. I mean, even considering Matt Brase, Joe Blair or Josh Pastner for one of the top 10 coaching jobs in the country is an idea that is dead on arrival.

Arenas criticizes Lloyd because he's an assistant and says Gonzaga played an AAU schedule. Well, Pacific played the same AAU schedule, minus the non-conference.

You can dissect and analyze all the potential candidates and discuss their attributes and shortcomings. The bottom line is this: none of them have near the resume than the coach that was just fired. Any hire is going to feel like a consolation prize. We're not going home with the prom queen on this hire.
mofo

Post by mofo »

This may have already been said, but I'd be willing to bet Bobby and Heeke don't miss a wink of sleep over this fiasco. In their minds I'm sure this is all Miller's fault to begin with and they're just trying to play the cards they were dealt. This will be the explanation when everyone throws a fit over the hire. There will be no regret or remorse over this hire, whoever it ends up being.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Here is the Gil & RJ video if you want to hear it yourself. Gil is hilarious like always. Like he says no asst coaches but Simon is his 2nd choice. Just skip to the 18 minute mark to see Gilbert. The rest is about the NBA
ekat

Post by ekat »

I watched the video with Gilbert and RJ and my takeaway was that what Gilbert was trying to say (albeit poorly) was if your list of potential hires is so bad that an unproven assistant coach is at the top of the list, you should just keep it in the family. If you’re going to hire an assistant coach, hire Miles. But Damon at least has head coaching experience. From that perspective I kinda get what he was trying to say. He just didn’t say it well.

RJ calling the search a debacle isn’t wrong.