Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: Official Bracketology Thread

Post by Alieberman »

Baylor has picked it back up
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

97cats wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:44 pm they still might play kansas again the Big 12 tournament boys......in contention, not lock, not drivers seat.

lot can happen
I don't think it'd matter much tbh. If they play Kansas again it'd be in the finals. They would've already clinched the 1 seed by then. I think Kansas is the one who absolutely need to win the tournament. Even if Baylor gets bounced early, they still have 12 quad 1 wins, double Arizona's. Plus also winning a share of the toughest conference.

KU is in a battle for the last spot imo with Auburn. Kentucky can get in if auburn and ku both lose early in the conference tournaments. Duke can get in if all 3 lose early and they win theirs.

Imo Baylor is such a lock at this point (assuming they beat Iowa St at home) with their very impressive resume that they're actually in contention to get the #1 overall seed.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azgreg wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:45 pm
Jefe wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:08 pm Gonzaga's season was over last Saturday!?
Did you see this horseshit aka the WCC bracket?

The Zags ruin the policy, but a lot of smaller leagues have the policy of giving their reg season champions double bye to avoid getting upset early and not getting an NCAA bid.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

so if KU wins the Big 12 Tournament you think two #1's will come from the Big12?

or you think even if KU wins the Big 12 Tournament that Baylor will still be #1 seed and KU would be a #2? -
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Yeah two #1s if Kansas does get the conference tournament. They would both have share of the regular season title from the toughest conference in the nation. Baylor would have 12 quad 1 wins at minimum and Kansas would have 12+ as well and also the conference tournament if they go all the way. That's a way better resume than Auburn or Kentucky.

If they don't, it's likely to be auburn as long as they don't lose early. Kentucky won't have the regular season championship to fall back on so they have to win their tournament to get a chance even if they have the best advanced metrics rankings.

Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

interesting - i do not believe two Big12 teams will be #1 seeds this season but thats my opinion.

i appreciate you taking the time to post all the data - i love reading it thank you
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Yeah I don't think it's going to happen because Kansas is floundering late in the season. So is Auburn for that matter.

I think 1 team is going to fall backwards into a 1 seed because someone has to take it. It's unfortunate that Kentucky stumbled too much because they are the only team who's looked like a #1 seed. They're 3rd in the pecking order right now.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:13 pm so if KU wins the Big 12 Tournament you think two #1's will come from the Big12?

or you think even if KU wins the Big 12 Tournament that Baylor will still be #1 seed and KU would be a #2? -
Depends on what happens with Auburn. If Auburn wins the SEC tourney, there's no way they aren't a #1 seed.

So it would be Gonzaga, AZ, Auburn and either Baylor or Kansas.

As far as Duke goes, this is the weakest the ACC has been in AGES, so a lot would have to go wrong for Kansas, Baylor, Auburn and Kentucky for Duke to get into the #1 seed conversation, imo.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think it's pretty simple for the last 2 remaining #1 spots:

1) Either Auburn or Kentucky from the SEC
2) Either Baylor or Kansas from the Big 12

Their Tourney's will have a lot to say in the final outcome.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m trying to remember if we were comfortably a 1-seed in 2014 or if we were sweating it.

I feel like we lost our last regular season game and then lost in the conference tourney so I can’t remember if we were wondering if we’d end up a 2 or if we had the 1 all locked up.

Anyway, it’s nice not to be sweating it this year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:47 am I’m trying to remember if we were comfortably a 1-seed in 2014 or if we were sweating it.

I feel like we lost our last regular season game and then lost in the conference tourney so I can’t remember if we were wondering if we’d end up a 2 or if we had the 1 all locked up.

Anyway, it’s nice not to be sweating it this year.
We are Arizona fans.... We will find something to worry about.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Arizona fans should worry about having been down at the half at home against Stanford. Will the committee notice? I'm not saying that half game will move Arizona to a 2-seed, but let's just say Arizona fans better hope that Baylor, Kansas, and Kentucky all lose their first conference tourney games, or else that half could come back to bite them. Arizona has the best A-game in the country, but the problem is their B-game loses to the B-game of a lot of strong tourney teams. And when it comes to seeding, remember that Arizona hasn't really beaten anyone of note this season.

SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

It's not who you beat, it's who you're playing when I shitpost on Twitter.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

he's trolling.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Give me Joey Hairpiece’s latest bracket
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

If Memphis wins their conference tournament do they end up as an 8 or 9? That's a team I'd prefer not to play on the first weekend.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:31 pm interesting - i do not believe two Big12 teams will be #1 seeds this season but thats my opinion.

i appreciate you taking the time to post all the data - i love reading it thank you
I think it’s Zags, AZ, Big12, SEC/Big10

Depending on outcomes I don’t see two teams from same conference being 1s.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

#3 most accurate bracket maker over a 5 year average, latest update from today (3/4)

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:36 am Give me Joey Hairpiece’s latest bracket
He has Arkansas, Auburn and Kentucky all in the same bracket
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He’s an idiot.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RaisingArizona wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:00 am If Memphis wins their conference tournament do they end up as an 8 or 9? That's a team I'd prefer not to play on the first weekend.
Penny vs. Tommy? I like our chances.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:03 am #3 most accurate bracket maker over a 5 year average, latest update from today (3/4)

I think this would be a horrible bracket for us

Kentucky, Texas Tech, Illinois in Chicago, and even a Uconn team can beat anyone (beat Auburn early in the year) on a given day
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

With Arizona as a 1-seed, the top team to avoid is UConn. Whichever bracket they're in, the 1-4 seeds will all go down before they play UConn. And UConn will probably face an 11-seed in the regional.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

There is gonna be a game in this tourney where someone does what Stanford did, and does it better. Similar to the strategy in boulder. Make the game ugly. Be overly physical, damn the fouls, and frustrate Arizona. Tommy has gotta get the dudes to realize that teams are gonna punch them in the balls and the only response is to dunk and lay said balls on their foreheads.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

rhino ball keep Tech the fuck away good god i agree, Odogg
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:03 am #3 most accurate bracket maker over a 5 year average, latest update from today (3/4)

That bracket is a recipe for us to lose in the sweet 16
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The only team in the entire field I fear is Longwood

Keep them the fuck away from us. If you see them in our bracket... pack your bags.... we're going home early
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:19 am rhino ball keep Tech the fuck away good god i agree, Odogg
Tech is exactly the team I was thinking about.

Also, all this dumb talk about if a team is “final 4” good is bullshit. Usually it comes down to a game where shit goes sideways, and you’re done.

Let those fuckers face dook.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ASUHATER! wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:20 am

That bracket is a recipe for us to lose in the sweet 16
illinois in chicago in the sweet 16 is at the top of the dont want list for sure - too many ghosts
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Olsondogg wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:17 am There is gonna be a game in this tourney where someone does what Stanford did, and does it better. Similar to the strategy in boulder. Make the game ugly. Be overly physical, damn the fouls, and frustrate Arizona. Tommy has gotta get the dudes to realize that teams are gonna punch them in the balls and the only response is to dunk and lay said balls on their foreheads.
This is a great post and was super pleased the first two possessions in the second half were a CK dunk and CK layup.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SabinoDrifter wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:49 am
Olsondogg wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:17 am There is gonna be a game in this tourney where someone does what Stanford did, and does it better. Similar to the strategy in boulder. Make the game ugly. Be overly physical, damn the fouls, and frustrate Arizona. Tommy has gotta get the dudes to realize that teams are gonna punch them in the balls and the only response is to dunk and lay said balls on their foreheads.
This is a great post and was super pleased the first two possessions in the second half were a CK dunk and CK layup.
Those lobs into CK are going to be there all day against smaller teams, even against some teams with decent bigs. No one has arms as long as his coupled with his leaping ability. Post entry passes to CK (and AT) should be our bread and butter.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:31 am
illinois in chicago in the sweet 16 is at the top of the dont want list for sure - too many ghosts
True. Would not be easy to beat that team twice in one season, on their turf.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I agree with the post, too, but the other ingredients in this strategy have been mile-high elevation and/or exhausted players. One reason why college players have difficulty with only one day of rest is because, unlike in the NBA, college players are actually in college.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:34 am
Those lobs into CK are going to be there all day against smaller teams, even against some teams with decent bigs. No one has arms as long as his coupled with his leaping ability. Post entry passes to CK (and AT) should be our bread and butter.
All day? Stanford broke up like four in a row in the first half last night and Tubelis was particularly bad throwing post entry passes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Yeah, need to be careful on those backside helps plus a few of those passes were just plain bad.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:44 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:34 am
All day? Stanford broke up like four in a row in the first half last night and Tubelis was particularly bad throwing post entry passes.
Chi, when I finally got a chance to tune in during the 2nd half, we were feeding CK left and right, and Stanford seemed virtually powerless to stop him. I'm not sure if we made adjustments from the first half or what, but clearly Lloyd has figured out ways to create space for him and get him touches near the basket. Maybe teams better than Stanford will make it harder for CK to get dunks and lay-ins, but I've seen enough of him this year to know he can be a *problem* when he gets the ball in the paint.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Anybody, anywhere, anytime.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I think Tennessee put the model out there. Oregon and Colorado allied it as well. You have to get back on defense and then the key to flustering us in the half court seems to play hyper physical and handsy defense in the high post and coupled with lots of body contact near the rim. Then the opponent has to hope that we're off target from the perimeter. I do think that the approach tends to push the boundaries of legal play but I have little doubt that it will be allowed in a tournament game or two. We absolutely need to be prepared for it.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:09 am
RaisingArizona wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:00 am If Memphis wins their conference tournament do they end up as an 8 or 9? That's a team I'd prefer not to play on the first weekend.
Penny vs. Tommy? I like our chances.

I would expect us to win as well but it's definitely not my preferred round 2 matchup. Since Bates has been away from the team, Memphis is top 20 in offensive and defensive efficiency and they're just about as naturally talented as anybody.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:00 pm #1 bracket maker in the rankings of the most accurate brackets on bracket matrix rankings over a 5 year average released new bracket today (bracket above is #3)

Updated today (3/4)

http://crazysportsdude.com/updated-brac ... rney-team/

Rankings for bracket matrix here

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ugh - JD Notae
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the game in Knoxville true to form all season breaks Arizona's way again.

the win puts the Vols guaranteed in the bottom half 100% off the four line and most likely sends Arkansas to the five/six line and def headed to the bottom half with an additional loss in the conf tournament. something to watch.

say no to Notae
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Arizona is playing today, and in pac tourney, for overall #1 seed.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Olsondogg wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:10 pm Arizona is playing today, and in pac tourney, for overall #1 seed.
You think we'll be the overall #1 if we win the next 4?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:27 pmugh - JD Notae
Notae isn't as scary as Ivey on Purdue, imo.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

No one in the sec can win a road game vs good competition
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:16 pm
97cats wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:27 pmugh - JD Notae
Notae isn't as scary as Ivey on Purdue, imo.
Purdue has zero defense.

Not scared of 1 player
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There are no easy roads.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:13 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:10 pm Arizona is playing today, and in pac tourney, for overall #1 seed.
You think we'll be the overall #1 if we win the next 4?
I do
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not seeing how we pass Gonzaga if they win out. Adding another win over ucla may not do all that much considering Gonzaga plastered them earlier in the season.