Game #9 @ Washington Huskies Discussion Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cats101

Re: Game #9 @ Washington Huskies Discussion Thread

Post by cats101 »

Newportcat wrote:Washington 38
Arizona 20

Not a blow out on paper, but I don't think the game will feel close. Some of their players still have to be pissed about last year and outside of the leap by the lake we seem to always play lose in Seattle. Remember the foot interception by Foles
The single play that made me hate UW athletics in it's entirety. Not that their basketball program needed anymore more reason for me to hate them.

Them losing 12 straight to Oregon makes me laugh because I know it eats them up inside.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

cats101 wrote:
Arizona 20

Not a blow out on paper, but I don't think the game will feel close. Some of their players still have to be pissed about last year and outside of the leap by the lake we seem to always play lose in Seattle. Remember the foot interception by Foles
The single play that made me hate UW athletics in it's entirety. Not that their basketball program needed anymore more reason for me to hate them.

Them losing 12 straight to Oregon makes me laugh because I know it eats them up inside.
What was even worse than that play was earlier in the game, we had (I believe) a fumble return for a touchdown that was called back? Too painful to look it up but my recollection is that we were only up 10-0 instead of 17-0 because of an absolutely awful call that was clear as day on replay.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

6 years later and I am still mad at that "great" non int
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (24.81 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

azthrillhouse wrote:
cats101 wrote:
Arizona 20

What was even worse than that play was earlier in the game, we had (I believe) a fumble return for a touchdown that was called back? Too painful to look it up but my recollection is that we were only up 10-0 instead of 17-0 because of an absolutely awful call that was clear as day on replay.
IIRC it wasn't a TD but it would have given the Cats the ball at the UW 10. That game turned out to be huge as the season went on. UW still hasn't paid for that one. I'm hoping they do this week.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Byrne just said on 1290 this afternoon they requested an earlier start time BEFORE the time was even announced, because of no bye weeks, the distance to travel to UDub, and consecutive road games.

F Larry Scott.
Are we really still not getting it? Larry had zero to do with this. My goodness why does everyone think that everyone is out to get Arizona?
Not taking sides but believe it or not the conference actually has a guy who's job is all about communicating with the networks in regards to start times. Not just for football but for all sports. From what I've been told, quite a bit of communication is involved between the schools and the conference and specifically when it involves the Pac 12 network. I'm sure the conference doesn't think Arizona is getting jobbed but on the surface it certainly looks like Arizona is getting the short end of the stick.

Blair Willis ‏@BlairWillisUA · Oct 27
From 2005-11, 18 of Arizona's 31 conference road games started at 2 p.m. or earlier with only four games starting at 6 p.m. or later.

Since 2005, @ArizonaFBall has kicked off 11 total home games before 2 p.m. Of those, eight have come over last 15 home conference games.

Under @CoachRodAZ, Cats have played eight home conference games at 1:30 pm or earlier. Only three such games on the road.

For @ArizonaFBall, 6 of last 10 home Pac-12 games have been 1:30 pm or earlier starts, while 7 of last 10 roadies have been 6 pm or later.
Last edited by dc4azcats on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Arizona 20

Interesting prediction since UW averages 24 points a game. They don't know who will be their starting QB and I'm not sure it matters since neither one is very good. Granted both are freshman but the point remains the same. UW has the 11th worst offense in the conference against one of the worst defenses in the conference. Arizona has one of the best offenses in the conference against one of the better defenses in the conference. Throw in that the conditions might not be that great and I will go with the team that can run the ball most effectively.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah in that weather it's going to take 2 to 3 bad turnovers by us for Washington to score 38 points.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

As one of the announcers said last week, if you want to see an example of how not to tackle watch the Arizona Wildcats.

Can't imagine it's going to get better when wet and muddy.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:As one of the announcers said last week, if you want to see an example of how not to tackle watch the Arizona Wildcats.

Muddy? They haven't had natural grass since 1967.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:As one of the announcers said last week, if you want to see an example of how not to tackle watch the Arizona Wildcats.

Muddy? They haven't had natural grass since 1967.

Cats bring their own dirt.

But the point still stands.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

We do not play well on cold blustery nights in the pacific northwest.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Cats haven't won in Seattle since 2007. That was the game where Tui went nuts late and led a comeback from being down 41-26 in the fourth quarter to win 48-41. I think he threw for 510 in that game. (Washington hasn't won in Tucson since 2006.) Since they broke Oregon State's streak in Tucson maybe it's time to break UW's streak in Seattle.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azpenguin wrote:Cats haven't won in Seattle since 2007. That was the game where Tui went nuts late and led a comeback from being down 41-26 in the fourth quarter to win 48-41. I think he threw for 510 in that game. (Washington hasn't won in Tucson since 2006.) Since they broke Oregon State's streak in Tucson maybe it's time to break UW's streak in Seattle.
i remember that. had an awkward lunch with my mother and listened to the comeback on the car in the radio haha.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

azgreg wrote:
I think that point spread is about as realistic as possible.

Unless we have spectacular run read and react QB play from Randall I don't feel we'll leave Seattle with a win.

This game and the climate is not a positive for Anu's or Randalls passing talents. Anu poses almost no run threat and Washington and most all teams now knows this so he's at a huge disadvantage with poor passing conditions and no real running threat expected from him.

Randall on the other hand will likely be just as bad if not worse in the passing game because of his extremely hard throws, but can get it done on the ground, unlike Anu.

This will have to be won on the ground with just enough passing plays mixed in to keep Wash off balance.

I think our team is snake-bit to some extent and may very likely start pressing and feeling the pressure including the coaches. The cold weather along with wind and rain and a huge flux of questionable coaching moves on the defensive side of the ball leaves me less than optimistic we get it done.

I think folks better settle in for some disappointment as we start our run through murders row over the next four weeks or so.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
I think that point spread is about as realistic as possible.

Unless we have spectacular run read and react QB play from Randall I don't feel we'll leave Seattle with a win.

This game and the climate is not a positive for Anu's or Randalls passing talents. Anu poses almost no run threat and Washington and most all teams now knows this so he's at a huge disadvantage with poor passing conditions and no real running threat expected from him.

Randall on the other hand will likely be just as bad if not worse in the passing game because of his extremely hard throws, but can get it done on the ground, unlike Anu.

This will have to be won on the ground with just enough passing plays mixed in to keep Wash off balance.

I think our team is snake-bit to some extent and may very likely start pressing and feeling the pressure including the coaches. The cold weather along with wind and rain and a huge flux of questionable coaching moves on the defensive side of the ball leaves me less than optimistic we get it done.

I think folks better settle in for some disappointment as we start our run through murders row over the next four weeks or so.
I'm sniffing what you're laying down, but disagree a tad. I believe disappointment can be spared if we start JR on O & bring the house on D during obvious passing plays with kids that have the gift of speed on the edges and hope for the best. God knows we cant cover the middle of the field, why not roll the dice and demand the QB to make a accurate throw? The other school is well known for blitzing the majority of the game and has marginal success doing so, why not give this a try?

We can continue with the soft coverage packages, but why? We don't have the talent. Bring the freaking house and often!

A few big plays on D can be monumental game changers, and I would love to see what JR can do knowing this is his team going forward. Let Anu get healthy & let him look forward to competing with Dawkins and the rest in 2016.

Not giving up hope yet, we shall soon see....
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Prediction: Solomon starts and plays at least the first half, possibly with a series for JR on there. Washington is having issues in the secondary right now and the Arizona receivers are finding their groove. Browning is going to be a good QB in the future but he's pretty raw right now. If AZ can get a 14-21 point lead, UW isn't a good team as far as chasing points.

They do have a solid running back in Gaskin. Good moves and lateral quickness and great vision. The big question is how much success Browning has, because they won't be able to live on the run alone. Arizona 38-27.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dc4azcats wrote:
Arizona 20

Interesting prediction since UW averages 24 points a game. They don't know who will be their starting QB and I'm not sure it matters since neither one is very good. Granted both are freshman but the point remains the same. UW has the 11th worst offense in the conference against one of the worst defenses in the conference. Arizona has one of the best offenses in the conference against one of the better defenses in the conference. Throw in that the conditions might not be that great and I will go with the team that can run the ball most effectively.
^^^ Tru Dat

Strength against strength and weakness against weakness. Interesting matchup.

UA total O - #1 in PAC
UW total D - #2 in PAC

UW total O - #12 in PAC
UA total D - #11 in PAC
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Going to come down to turnovers. Whoever takes care of the ball wins.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

With the weather probably being so bad, agree that UW probably not scoring 38 points so will revise

UW - 27
UA - 20

Again though I think its a game where the score might be close but the game wont feel that way. If this was at Arizona I would feel much differently about this one just think road game, terrible weather, cold, in seattle, against a good defense, just seems bad.

Keep in mind our defense made UTSA's crappy offense look great

How is their a defense worse then ours in the Pac-12, thats pathetic
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ramcat

Post by ramcat »

Washington's offense is horrendous and will be the difference. Cats D will not give up more than 17. Hopefully special teams and the offense don't contribute to that total!

Cats-31 Fuskies-17
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Newportcat wrote:With the weather probably being so bad, agree that UW probably not scoring 38 points so will revise

UW - 27
UA - 20

Again though I think its a game where the score might be close but the game wont feel that way. If this was at Arizona I would feel much differently about this one just think road game, terrible weather, cold, in seattle, against a good defense, just seems bad.

What I don't get is how you somehow think we won't score much in this game? Cold, rainy and wet weather favors the team that can run the ball best. Arizona has the number 2 rushing offense (282 yards per game) in the conference behind Oregon. UW has the 11th best rushing offense (122 yards per game) in the conference.

I looked at the Oregon v UW box score to see if Oregon was able to rush the ball and they weren't that successful with 50 rushes for 170 yards but more interesting is Oregon threw the ball for 272 yards.

UW passed for 205 and rushed the ball for 180 with one of those rushes accounting for 72 yards. Obviously that rush for 72 counts but interesting to note that the other 29 rushes were good for 108 yards. Worth noting that the only team with a worse defense than Arizona is Oregon.

It's hard to tell when looking at QB rush numbers as sacks are in there and you really don't know how many of the 8 rush attempts were truly rush attempts. It says Adams had 8 rushes for 12 yards with a long of 17 yards - which goes back to my previous sentence.

If the weather is decent then my guess is Anu starts and if it's not decent then JR starts and we run the ball on almost every play. Browning the UW QB has 6 Tds and 5 ints.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Was #1 with a health Nick Wilson.

How did they do last week with a hobbled Nick Wilson against a pretty poor WSU defense?

I do see now that Nick is listed as "probable" for UDub.

10/29/15 LB Derrick Turituri Hip out indefinitely
10/29/15 -DB Tellas Jones Concussion is upgraded to probable Saturday vs. Washington U
10/27/15 RB Nick Wilson Foot probable Saturday vs. Washington U
10/25/15 CB DaVonte' Neal Hamstring "?" Saturday vs. Washington U
10/25/15 DT Jeff Worthy Concussion "?" Saturday vs. Washington U
10/25/15 DL Parker Zellers Knee "?" Saturday vs. Washington U
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Still no Scooby or turituri. Wonder if either will play again this season.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nick is probable as of Tuesday.

[RB] 10/27/2015 - Nick Wilson probable Saturday vs. Washington U ( Foot )
[LB] 10/29/2015 - Derrick Turituri out indefinitely ( Hip )
[-DB] 10/29/2015 - Tellas Jones is upgraded to probable Saturday vs. Washington U ( Concussion )
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:Was #1 with a health Nick Wilson.

How did they do last week with a hobbled Nick Wilson against a pretty poor WSU defense?

I do see now that Nick is listed as "probable" for UDub.
Really? Even without Wilson, Arizona still has 2 of the top 10 leading rushers in the conference. Did you see what happened in the Wazzu game when JR came in? Randall had 10 carries for 105 yards. Or does that not count?
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

Merkin wrote:Nick is probable as of Tuesday.

[-DB] 10/29/2015 - Tellas Jones is upgraded to probable Saturday vs. Washington U ( Concussion )
Where do you get that? The tweets are from the official report issued by the school.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA had 176 rushing yards against WSU.

Baker averaged 2 yards a carry, Nick Wilson just over 1.

Wouldn't call that a potent rushing attack when your QB has more rushing yards than your 2 RBs combined.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

azpenguin wrote:

Where do you get that? The tweets are from the official report issued by the school.
This is one site with em

http://www.statfox.com/cfb/injuries.asp" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpenguin wrote:

All say the same thing but are dated Tuesday. I really don't know how injuries are reported to the NCAA.

http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/" target="_blank
http://www.statfox.com/cfb/injuries.asp" target="_blank
http://chicagosports.sportsdirectinc.co ... uries.html" target="_blank
http://www.thespread.com/ncaa-college-football-injuries" target="_blank

So bear down!

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Newportcat wrote:With the weather probably being so bad, agree that UW probably not scoring 38 points so will revise

UW - 27
UA - 20

Oregon is #12.

Bye bye Don Pellum.
dc4azcats

Post by dc4azcats »

Merkin wrote:UA had 176 rushing yards against WSU.

Baker averaged 2 yards a carry, Nick Wilson just over 1.

Wouldn't call that a potent rushing attack when your QB has more rushing yards than your 2 RBs combined.
Why does it matter where the yards come from? If Randall is our best rusher then so be it. Everybody knows that when Randall is in the game we're running the ball and even knowing that they still can't stop him.

We also threw the ball for over 300 yards against Wazzu because they were stacking the box or do those yards not count either since it wasn't just Anu throwing the passes?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

When Anu is in the game now and he goes to an option everyone knows he is giving it up to the rb. Would think that impacts the rushing stats.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

A very winnable game for sure. But weird stuff always seems to happen to us when playing up there. Washington's offense sucks, but they'll end up getting 3 TD's off of blocked kick returns or fumble returns or some other flukey shit.
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

I do feel this is still a very winnable game for Arizona. But you're right, strange things have been known to happen when the Cats tangle with the Huskies. CP not taking a knee. The 2013 storm. Scott rolling UW both times he played them, and rolling them bad. The foot interception. The Stanback Hail Mary. Plenty more. This matchup commands respect just on the basis of the history alone.
gumby

Post by gumby »

50 degrees. A little wind. A little wind. You guys make is sound like the frozen tundra.

We got this, and I will be there.
Right where I want to be.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Lots of good seats still available....
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Gilbertcat wrote:Lots of good seats still available....
I'd love to see a game at this stadium once.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have a hunch we cover and win a nutcutter
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Injury updates:

10/30/15 CB DaVonte' Neal Hamstring is upgraded to probable Saturday vs. Washington U
10/30/15 DT Jeff Worthy Concussion is upgraded to probable Saturday vs. Washington U
azpenguin

Post by azpenguin »

90% chance of rain during the day tapering off to 60% at night. 16-24 mph winds. Hope Jerrard is ready.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Currently a steady rain. No wind. Surprisingly warm.
Right where I want to be.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dc4azcats wrote:

UW - 27
UA - 20

What I don't get is how you somehow think we won't score much in this game? Cold, rainy and wet weather favors the team that can run the ball best. Arizona has the number 2 rushing offense (282 yards per game) in the conference behind Oregon. UW has the 11th best rushing offense (122 yards per game) in the conference.

I looked at the Oregon v UW box score to see if Oregon was able to rush the ball and they weren't that successful with 50 rushes for 170 yards but more interesting is Oregon threw the ball for 272 yards.

UW passed for 205 and rushed the ball for 180 with one of those rushes accounting for 72 yards. Obviously that rush for 72 counts but interesting to note that the other 29 rushes were good for 108 yards. Worth noting that the only team with a worse defense than Arizona is Oregon.

It's hard to tell when looking at QB rush numbers as sacks are in there and you really don't know how many of the 8 rush attempts were truly rush attempts. It says Adams had 8 rushes for 12 yards with a long of 17 yards - which goes back to my previous sentence.

If the weather is decent then my guess is Anu starts and if it's not decent then JR starts and we run the ball on almost every play. Browning the UW QB has 6 Tds and 5 ints.
Still optimistic DC?????

I guess my prediction was off too
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dc4azcats wrote:
Arizona 20

49-3
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dc4azcats wrote:
Arizona 20

At least DC is consistent........consistently wrong. The next time he's right about anything will be a first this year. I'm still laughing about the "Monster" Tagaloa prediction he made.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I couldn't care less about which posters are right or wrong. This program has a serious coaching issue that needs to get resolved before that "Hard Edge" bus becomes the laughingstock of the nation.