Lorenzo Romar

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Lorenzo Romar

Post by YoDeFoe »

Statfreak77 wrote:Miller will still end up wanting his defense to be better. Obviously. He stated this in his post game press conference on Sunday, and no matter how much more offensive flow and tempo there is, he will still want guys defending at a high level. Hopefully that will come, because in the 1st half of both games, the defense has been pretty bad; sans the opponent knocking down some ridiculous, low percentage shots. However, it has been encouraging that the defense in the second half for both games has been much improved. Credit to the staff and players for making adjustments.

Just give me a top 5 offensive team and a top 15-20 defensive team, and I will be happy.
Miller has a built-in carrot/stick to make the defense step up: playing time. He noted in his presser that we need wings who can guard the other guy's best player, not guys who initiate their own offense. We've got plenty of scoring, we need more defending, and the guys who can do that (among Barcello, Dylan Smith, Randolph, Akot, Lee, and Pinder) will get the PT - according to Miller.

Also, regarding Romar - I've never been more proud of Miller. I hate the Book fiasco for detracting from the coolest story in CBB this season: Miller and Romar's humility in sharing the reigns and learning from each other to push this team towards a championship. Hand on my heart it makes me a little misty.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Statfreak77 wrote:Miller will still end up wanting his defense to be better. Obviously. He stated this in his post game press conference on Sunday, and no matter how much more offensive flow and tempo there is, he will still want guys defending at a high level. Hopefully that will come, because in the 1st half of both games, the defense has been pretty bad; sans the opponent knocking down some ridiculous, low percentage shots. However, it has been encouraging that the defense in the second half for both games has been much improved. Credit to the staff and players for making adjustments.

Just give me a top 5 offensive team and a top 15-20 defensive team, and I will be happy.
Miller has a built-in carrot/stick to make the defense step up: playing time. He noted in his presser that we need wings who can guard the other guy's best player, not guys who initiate their own offense. We've got plenty of scoring, we need more defending, and the guys who can do that (among Barcello, Dylan Smith, Randolph, Akot, Lee, and Pinder) will get the PT - according to Miller.

Also, regarding Romar - I've never been more proud of Miller. I hate the Book fiasco for detracting from the coolest story in CBB this season: Miller and Romar's humility in sharing the reigns and learning from each other to push this team towards a championship. Hand on my heart it makes me a little misty.
It's an ego-free move for both. They both have to realize that this arrangement means neither is "the man" if/when credit rolls around. There are a lot of people in Romar's shoes that could not have swallowed being the assistant of an ex-rival.

It is a personal credit to both Miller and Romar that they did this, and with shockingly little hesitation.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

97cats wrote:post two games, three things have floored me:

1) how Arizona pushes the ball and initiates early offense, even after made baskets -- looks so much like Washington, but with a more disciplined, under-control, and calculated approach...better/deeper talent doesnt hurt either.
2) how much Lorenzo Romar and Sean Miller communicate and talk
3) and the biggest, how much Lorenzo Romar stands and coaches along side Coach Miller, not only in timeouts but during the action. i have never seen anyone associated with Coach Miller dare to do this, the only one was Archie and he didnt come close to be as involved as Coach Romar has been so far.

the team looks loose and care free and clearly has been coached to push tempo and possession opportunities even after makes -- i give so much credit to Sean Miller for changing, he has realized what was continuing to be his mantra needed tinkering, and instead of just modifying on his terms, he checked his ego at the door and brought in someone with a different philosophy to strengthen the style of play, and increase confidence, both on and off the floor.

the Romar effect -- no question about it, its arrived in Tucson and is evident on the floor for the Wildcats
When the announcement came I knew they had the opportunity to really learn from each other. Their weaknesses are complete opposites. To see them appear to be embracing this 100% is awesome not just for the team but on a personal level. These are two great guys who have undoubtedly changed the lives of their players for the better for years. Nice to see them take on that role and the impact it is having on the kids.

Now, it also helps immensely that we have a JUNIOR leader who can do everything and a SENIOR point guard who can run the floor. When Alkins comes back... yikes. But there is a reason why Miller is trying to make sure Trier's name gets out there - two reasons IMO. First, because he loves the kid and wants him to get every accolade he deserves. The second is closely related and intertwined with the first: he wants to make sure that others see how much Trier has benefited from staying in school even though he had every opportunity to leave and people would have understood why. Miller and Arizona and all of its fans and hell the entire NCAA for that matter should be roaring to see Trier succeed on the court and be a Top 5 pick in the spring as it would serve as a massive counter to the idiots that bark in kids ears about leaving early.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Check ESPN now. Headline story includes Markelle Fultz receiving... #PagingJimBasnight

Teams highlighted as being programs identified in FBI probe into corruption include: Duke, UNC, Texas, UK, Mich St, USC, and KU
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Let it grow let it grow
Let it grow!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Alieberman wrote:Romar is a head coach.

It's not possible that he accepted this position with a promise of taking over within a certain # of years is it?

(Asking for a friend.)
In light of '97's news yesterday... I ask this question again as I did when he was 1st hired.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:

It's not possible that he accepted this position with a promise of taking over within a certain # of years is it?

(Asking for a friend.)
In light of '97's news yesterday... I ask this question again as I did when he was 1st hired.

So Heeke made a promise to Romar three months into his tenure? I doubt it.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

(Asking for a friend.)

So Heeke made a promise to Romar three months into his tenure? I doubt it.
And Miller anticipated getting frustrated with the FBI investigation furor before the news broke? I doubt that.

Romar's signing on is what it looks like.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I realize my tinfoil hat may be on for that question, it just seemed curious to me.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The Pepperdine job is open now, and Romar used to coach there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:I realize my tinfoil hat may be on for that question, it just seemed curious to me.
I slways thought the idea of Romar as a successor was like this:

Romar was brought on bc he is an asset regardless of how you slice it. The goal was for Miller to be here long term, so he was never directly a successor. However, things happen and you can't discount that things might happen that led to Miller leaving. If so, Romar might not be the first candidate, but it would be nice to have a legit HC option already employed here. If other options fell apart, you always have a fallback.

If Miller doesn't leave, you just get a really overqualified assistant for a bit.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Curious for you X and O guys but where have you seen the "Romar" affect this year?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azcat49 wrote:Curious for you X and O guys but where have you seen the "Romar" affect this year?
Every time the wing and both bigs show ham-bone when they cut to the ridge, tag and reverse in the high post, and then roll into a two-horns set as an anti-hedge to bump the switching defenders in the L-screen and free up the swell.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Longhorned wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Curious for you X and O guys but where have you seen the "Romar" affect this year?
Every time the wing and both bigs show ham-bone when they cut to the ridge, tag and reverse in the high post, and then roll into a two-horns set as an anti-hedge to bump the switching defenders in the L-screen and free up the swell.
I just spat water everywhere!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Our offense is better and our defense is much much worse?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Chicat wrote:
Our offense is better and our defense is much much worse?
This was all I had too
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This isn't a team to look like a Romar team. Even Romar's best UW teams never had a big time interior threat.

Ayton changes all that. We HAVE to run a post-centric offense so as not to waste the most talented player in CBB. Romar never ran a post heavy set at UW because his firepower was always on the perimeter.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I'm curious about the Markelle Fultze taking money effect on Romar...

Of course the context of when these players were paid probably makes a bit of a difference, it could have been after Romar got fired and Fultze was like "Fuck the NCAA my momma needs new tires"
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:I'm curious about the Markelle Fultze taking money effect on Romar...

Of course the context of when these players were paid probably makes a bit of a difference, it could have been after Romar got fired and Fultze was like "Fuck the NCAA my momma needs new tires"
Probably nothing. Given that Romar left, he would have to have knowledge and get some sort of show cause penalty. It's far harder to sanction an ex-coach for an ex-player when neither are at the school any more.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Here we go. Curious to see if the team is able to play Romar ball
Last edited by NYCat on Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I'm curious if Miller knew this was all going to go down over a year ago (as the investigation is two year in progress I believe) and Romar was brought in as insurance...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bad ass. It’s not like our adj O and adj D will change much with Romar ball.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Pepperdine it is.
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Will be a fan of Romar forever now.
A+ individual.
Congrats coach!
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I posted it in conference play, but look at our transition splits vs. the last few seasons.

https://hoop-math.com/Arizona2018.php
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:
I posted it in conference play, but look at our transition splits vs. the last few seasons.

Not sure what I'm looking for here... total transition attempts and eFG% look similar across the last five years, except for last year which was below average in transition attempts (but still about 59% in eFG%).
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

YoDeFoe wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

Not sure what I'm looking for here... total transition attempts and eFG% look similar across the last five years, except for last year which was below average in transition attempts (but still about 59% in eFG%).
% of transition attempts up to 21.9% this season from 17.9% and 13.6% off a defensive rebound from 9.2%. They are right in line with most of our five year averages, but things look a bit different. I fully expected last season's team to be the one getting out and running like this one (considering all the shot creators we had, plus Lauri on the trail three). What happened last year that slowed us down (and if you make the case for zone defenses, we are seeing just as much this season)?

I think this season we are seeing a reset in our transition offense. We are running, pushing off defensive rebounds, and more specifically running for threes. Perhaps I am putting a bit too much into this, and feel free to provide any other context for us Yo, because you have the Synergy access, but it looks and feels different.

I mentioned early in the season how guys were running in transition with a purpose and with some passion. I still think that is the case, but totally could be overstating any sort of change or impact. Only thing I can point to that Romar might have had his finger on. The rest looks the same.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier