7 Colin Schooler

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ANGCatFan

7 Colin Schooler

Post by ANGCatFan »

Schooler is a 6-0, 236, Sophomore linebacker. Last year he was a consensus Freshman All-American, PAC-12 Freshman Defensive POY, and an honorable mention All-Conference player. Schooler started the final 9 games at Mike linebacker quarterbacking our defense while making 95 tackles, 65 solo tackles (team high), 13.5 tackles for a loss (team and FBS Freshman high), 4 sacks, and 2 interceptions including 1 returned for a TD.

Schooler represented the team at media day and looks to be a player ready for a big year. He's bigger and has been given the offense fits in camp with his personal play and his ability to get the team in the right defense. With a bigger line in front of him, Schooler may be poised to exceed his performance from last year.

7 of Arizona's 19 interceptions last year were returned for over 20 yards including both of Schooler's.

Gimino

Re: 7 Colin Schooler

Post by Gimino »

A little something I wrote on Schooler's quick start... (thanks for letting me post stuff on these boards)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thanks for posting AG! Great stuff.
Schooler, since he arrived on the campus with the "too small, too slow, too under-recruited" tag has been considered Scooby Wright 2.0. Schooler isn't used in the same way -- Wright became a dangerous edge rusher in passing situations, moving from his inside position -- but the production is there.
I wish they would use him the same way that Scooby was used. His burst could put real pressure on the QB from the edge in passing situations.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Gimino wrote:A little something I wrote on Schooler's quick start... (thanks for letting me post stuff on these boards)
Awesome stuff as always. You are always welcome to post your stuff here!
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Schooler is Scooby 2.0.
tgrumpy2

Post by tgrumpy2 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Schooler is Scooby 2.0.
I think he's bigger and faster than Scooby with the same motor
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

::::mod edit::::

can't be sure, but I think greg was linking a prior tweet about this?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Wow. Actual national recognition.

LB: Colin Schooler, Arizona

Arizona's defense might not be a marquee unit, but don't overlook what Schooler has accomplished in two seasons in Tucson under two different coordinators. In 2017, Schooler was the Pac-12's Defensive Freshman of the Year, racking up 95 tackles, four sacks and 13.5 TFL. In 2018, he improved those numbers across the board. His 119 tackles ranked second among returning Pac-12 defenders, and his 21.5 tackles for loss were fourth nationally among linebackers. Schooler added 3.5 sacks, four QB hurries and four pass breakups, too.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... erica-team" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Schooler lists at 6'0", so probably closer to 5'11".

The average NFL LB measured 6'2" at the combine.

Scooby was listed at 6'1" and measured 6'0" at the combine.

For some reason I thought Schooler was bigger, but like Scooby, I guess he just plays bigger.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

btfd16 wrote:Wow. Actual national recognition.

LB: Colin Schooler, Arizona

Arizona's defense might not be a marquee unit, but don't overlook what Schooler has accomplished in two seasons in Tucson under two different coordinators. In 2017, Schooler was the Pac-12's Defensive Freshman of the Year, racking up 95 tackles, four sacks and 13.5 TFL. In 2018, he improved those numbers across the board. His 119 tackles ranked second among returning Pac-12 defenders, and his 21.5 tackles for loss were fourth nationally among linebackers. Schooler added 3.5 sacks, four QB hurries and four pass breakups, too.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... erica-team" target="_blank
Except for the lie about two coordinators
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine the writer meant 2 head coaches.