Former Cats in the NBA

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EOCT

Re: Former Cats in the NBA

Post by EOCT »

azgreg wrote:
Late, but thanks Greg for the Swarm post re Richard's retirement announcement. Best of all was Richard's linked post which included the video of his late Pops' singing "Poppa was a Rolling Stone" with the radio at a party where his dad had BBQ'd for the fam. Poignant.

I guess Richard will be back in announcing, but I wouldn't be surprised if he joined a coaching staff somewhere down the line. Lakers maybe, with old teammate Luke? They both live in Hermosa Beach.
prh

Post by prh »

TJ had 4 points and 3 assists in 4 minutes last night. I'm done with the Sixers, I hope they crash and burn.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:TJ had 4 points and 3 assists in 4 minutes last night. I'm done with the Sixers, I hope they crash and burn.
I'd said it when they drafted Fultz, that he was drafted to play over TJ. Just more of the same with the Wichita guard they brought in this year.

I'd like to see them potentially move TJ. He can be a contributor on a good team moreso than he will with Philly. A Western team like the Suns looking to make a run in 2-3 years would be a nice fit for him.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
prh wrote:TJ had 4 points and 3 assists in 4 minutes last night. I'm done with the Sixers, I hope they crash and burn.
I'd said it when they drafted Fultz, that he was drafted to play over TJ. Just more of the same with the Wichita guard they brought in this year.

I'd like to see them potentially move TJ. He can be a contributor on a good team moreso than he will with Philly. A Western team like the Suns looking to make a run in 2-3 years would be a nice fit for him.
TJ has value. There are a number of teams that will want to trade for him, but the problem is that he is in the final year of his deal, so no one is going to offer more than a second-rounder, and that may not be enough for Philly to part with him, because he is cheap insurance to keep around in the event a Philly guard gets injured. Next year, TJ is going to get paid and be somewhere outside of Philly.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I just need TJ to stick in the league until 2025 so we can put his name in the rafters. Correct the Pac-12's wrong when they chose JOSEPH FUCKING YOUNG over TJ (and Delon Wright, I would have accepted Delon Wright). God what a fucking hose job that was...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote:I just need TJ to stick in the league until 2025 so we can put his name in the rafters. Correct the Pac-12's wrong when they chose JOSEPH FUCKING YOUNG over TJ (and Delon Wright, I would have accepted Delon Wright). God what a fucking hose job that was...
That was a huge intentional fuck you to CSM.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:I just need TJ to stick in the league until 2025 so we can put his name in the rafters. Correct the Pac-12's wrong when they chose JOSEPH FUCKING YOUNG over TJ (and Delon Wright, I would have accepted Delon Wright). God what a fucking hose job that was...
I mean... just choose Delon Wright then. Like, why Joe Young? That's not a fuck you, it's a self own. God... this stupid conference.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I mean... just choose Delon Wright then. Like, why Joe Young? That's not a fuck you, it's a self own. God... this stupid conference.
The reporters are the same type of stupid vindictive assholes that make up the league office. Why promote the best player on the best team when you can make yourself a laughing stock instead?

By the way, Joe Young is playing for the Nanjing Monkey King (not joking).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If he wanted to leave early to become our coach in waiting, I could live with that pretty easily.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

PJC got drafted by the Raps Gleague team.

https://twitter.com/Raptors905/status/1 ... 8089244672" target="_blank
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Alonzo getting huge playing time. Played the whole 4th against the Celtics in a close one.
Mike Luke's burner account.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

10 points and 8 assists (4 to's) in 32 minutes in OT loss to Detroit for TJ. . .while (sigh) Stanley has my shooting touch still.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm starting to worry about Stanley's NBA future. Shot poorly last year, shooting 22% this year...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The curse of the dreads is real

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm starting to worry about Stanley's NBA future. Shot poorly last year, shooting 22% this year...
I deleted something saying about the same. All the talent yet hasn't shown the skill and mentality. Comparing him to AG... well AG only put it together in flashes last season and has performed well in this early season, but he's shown a heck of a lot more improvement than Johnson. Still rooting.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Never thought he would be a star type player, but w guy who will stick in the league for 10 years as a solid role player. i havent watched much of him this year, but its not good.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:Never thought he would be a star type player, but w guy who will stick in the league for 10 years as a solid role player. i havent watched much of him this year, but its not good.
This is the beginning of his 4th year and he's never shot better than .375 from the field and .307 from 3 (twice under 30%). That just isn't gonna get it done in today's NBA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TJ would be awesome on the Lakers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:TJ would be awesome on the Lakers.
I've thought the same. Unless something changes, Lonzo is really growing, so Rondo is probably completely expendable at the end of this year. TJ would be a great backup for Lonzo, a solid, cheap guy to put in 15 mpg.

LeBron has complimented TJ in the past, and TJ is the kind of guy they could add at value to fuel championship aspirations next year without detracting from the young core.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Richard Jefferson is doing the play by play for the Cal Poly game in Tucson on 11/11
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Jefe wrote:Richard Jefferson is doing the play by play for the Cal Poly game in Tucson on 11/11
Suppose he will have Wild Bill for his color guy?

That should be something to behold.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:Richard Jefferson is doing the play by play for the Cal Poly game in Tucson on 11/11
Play-by-Play or Color?

Because P-by-P is a tall order for someone with no experience. Boom goes the dynamite.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Correct, color guy. No clue who he is with. Does Walton do games this early?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:Correct, color guy. No clue who he is with. Does Walton do games this early?
Walton does color too. If I had to guess I’d say they’ll pair him with Jeffries.

Anyone catch Jet on NBATV tonight. Not too shabby at the in studio thing.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Chicat wrote:
Anyone catch Jet on NBATV tonight. Not too shabby at the in studio thing.
here's his segment on The Starters. pretty funny

https://youtu.be/guwAZGoOmVM?t=653" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

SunnyAZ wrote:PJC got drafted by the Raps Gleague team.

https://twitter.com/Raptors905/status/1 ... 8089244672" target="_blank
And cut

https://www.easternprogress.com/sports/ ... 46fd7.html" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Allonzo's cooking vs the Pacers. It's fun watching him succeed. The more Cats succeed, the better.
prh

Post by prh »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Allonzo's cooking vs the Pacers. It's fun watching him succeed. The more Cats succeed, the better.
Especially the mid tier, multi year guys. OADs will still be highly drafted wherever they go (Duval excepted), but Sean has a track record of getting guys like Zo, Solo, TJ, to the league, and sticking around.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Allonzo's cooking vs the Pacers. It's fun watching him succeed. The more Cats succeed, the better.
Especially the mid tier, multi year guys. OADs will still be highly drafted wherever they go (Duval excepted), but Sean has a track record of getting guys like Zo, Solo, TJ, to the league, and sticking around.
We can point to both, really. Come to Arizona, you could be an Ayton, Markannen or Aaron Gordon. Or you could be one of the under the radar guys that flourishes.

Rondae's carving himself out a nice career too. I'd like to see Randolph and Akot become our next under the radar wings to develop into pros. I would love Jeter forever if he turned into a pro and repped Arizona over Duke.
prh

Post by prh »

You're absolutely right that we can pitch the success of both types. I'm glad you mentioned Rondae too because I think he easily gets forgotten playing for the Nets. Jeter being successful would be incredibly awesome as well.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

23 points for Trier in NY victory.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

In a double OT loss to the Bulls Zo gets the most minutes on the team and gets nearly the most points even after going 5-15 from the field.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He has a very good chance at making All Rookie 1st Team.

Trae is putting up a good argument for Rookie of the Year so far
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Jefe wrote:He has a very good chance at making All Rookie 1st Team.

Why didn't he play like this last year for the Cats? Especially his defense.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Catintheheat wrote:

Why didn't he play like this last year for the Cats? Especially his defense.
We should have paid him Knicks type $.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

16 pts tonight
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Uhh... you say this, after what... 3 games?

I mean good luck to Zo and all good wishes of every kind, and he is indeed making the NBA look easy for him. But give me a break! There are more than 80 games to go. Don't dump so much pressure on the guy, for crying out loud.

Remember how Lauri started out last year, pushing Simmons for ROY (after maybe 3 games anyway)?

Sheesh.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

TJ DNP 3 games in a row, possible trade coming according to these guys: https://hoopshype.com/2018/11/06/nba-ru ... dson-beal/" target="_blank
RichardCranium wrote:Uhh... you say this, after what... 3 games?
I mean good luck to Zo and all good wishes of every kind, and he is indeed making the NBA look easy for him. But give me a break! There are more than 80 games to go. Don't dump so much pressure on the guy, for crying out loud.
Remember how Lauri started out last year, pushing Simmons for ROY (after maybe 3 games anyway)?
Sheesh.
Calm down, Zo isn't on here reading our posts.

12 games. Among the Rookies he's 6th in scoring, shooting 50% FGs, 45% 3PT and 86% FTs and playing less minutes than the other 5 rookies scoring more than him. Theres no question he's in the discussion and he's still on a 2 way contract
Last edited by Jefe on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
prh

Post by prh »

RichardCranium wrote:

Uhh... you say this, after what... 3 games?

Sheesh.
They're 12 games into the season btw. Still a long ways to go, but he is rapidly improving. 17 ppg in November and getting more minutes as the season has gone on.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I looked at game stats that showed he had only played in 3 games. Probably I looked at the wrong outdated page. Mea Culpa.

Never-the-less, my comment stands. It is WAAAYYYYY too early to be having ROY conversations.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

RichardCranium wrote:I looked at game stats that showed he had only played in 3 games. Probably I looked at the wrong outdated page. Mea Culpa.

Never-the-less, my comment stands. It is WAAAYYYYY too early to be having ROY conversations.
I wasn't referring to Trier being a potential ROY lol, I said making 1st Team All Rookie.

Ayton has his work cut out for him ROY
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

They let TJ play.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Because I don't know where else to put this....RJ's interview post cal poly game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyrLb8TRjmI" target="_blank
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:They let TJ play.
34 mins 7/8FGs 16PTs 7ASTs 1STL 1BL 2 TOs

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Trier gets a NYT feature bc he's the fucking truth.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/spor ... nicks.html" target="_blank