Why I Own The World

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Why I Own The World

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s bad ass and inspiring lando! Congrats!
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

CalStateTempe wrote:That’s bad ass and inspiring lando! Congrats!
Thank you! It was a great time, can't wait to run it back.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nice job Lando. Give the Suns a call please.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

azgreg wrote:Nice job Lando. Give the Suns a call please.
If Sarver would just sell the Sun's... Why did Jerry sell them to this bafoon, same with selling the DBacks. He could have sold the DBacks to Art Moreno and waited for a better owner than Sarver.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lando05 wrote:Put together my first mens recreational basketball city team in over 5 years. We just went undefeated and won the postseason tournament. One of the most fun teams I've had the pleasure to play on.
That makes me more jealous than any other post! Well done Lando.

Let me know if you ever start up an over 60 league. :)
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

DrWildcat wrote:Passed my dissertation defense. Officially a Dr. (PhD).
You are officially too learned for me to speak to you. Congrats nonetheless.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Just accepted a tentative Job Offer for a position in San Diego...
Just emailed my maintenance division a farewell:

As my time in Virginia makes way for new work on the Pacific side of our operations, I wanted to thank everyone for the very productive and peaceful past few years I’ve had working here in Virginia.

At the time [our employer] first contacted me in May of 2012 I was finishing up college at the University of Arizona and also applying for minimum wage work to hold me over until I could land a salary job. When our employer called to schedule an interview in Washington DC I’d just gotten off a call from a Tucson restaurant turning down my application for a dishwashing job.

I gladly chose [our employer] because by then I’d lived in most every region of America – Midwest, Great Lakes, Desert West, Florida & Texas – except for the Big City East Coast. Over six years later my time on this side of America is ending and with the majority of family now settled in Southern California and Arizona it makes sense to return.

Of the East Coast I won’t miss the winters, New Jersey/Maryland tolls, or Boston sports fans, but this isn’t a true goodbye. If anybody has onsite work in San Diego odds are high we’ll run into each other. I’m very glad to remain with [our employer], who, needless to say, has provided mucho career opportunity for a guy who couldn’t get a dishwashing job.

Happy Thanksgiving everybody,
And I said, ‘That last thing is what you can't get...Nobody can get to that last thing. We keep on living in hopes of catching it once and for all.’ Jack Kerouac, On The Road
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That was a really nice email. Usually I find farewell emails to be pretty unnecessary, but I would have liked getting that one. Nice work.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

San Diego is fantastic. Never see snow again!

Nor too many Red Sox fans.

Or Chargers fans either now.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:San Diego is fantastic. Never see snow again!

Nor too many Red Sox fans.

Or Chargers fans either now.
San Diego was indeed fantastic when I moved here (from NYC) in 1973. Since then, too many people have "discovered" it, so other than the weather I would no longer call it fantastic. But the weather hasn't changed.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I didn't like living in SD for two years (Encinitas, actually). Too bland. Weather was always the same (don't get me wrong, lots of people liked that, it just bored me). Fog every morning, burns off about 10:30, then nothing happens. Doesn't get hot. Doesn't get cold. You have to go to La Mesa to get warm, and then you can't breath from the traffic dust.

Plus in my case it took me 18 months to make any worthwhile friendships that were more than passing acquaintances.

Plus the guy that serviced my car actually cut the brake lines to make more money for himself and in the process almost killed my (now) wife when she went down to pick it up. I didn't take it back there, and I found the cut in the line when the mechanic I did trust and I were trying to figure out what was happening.

Plus, I could never quite get used to looking out the plane window and shaking hands with the office secretaries in the buildings as we were on final approach approach into Lindbergh.

Plus, I never liked Ensenada, sorry. I prefer Nogales.

Plus my bosses were crooks (as in they were indicted about a year or so after I left) and I hated my job.

YMMV

OK, there were some positives. I quite liked Torrey Pines Golf Course, and I worked just across the street. I loved the drive over the mountains from Encinitas to Escondido and out to the desert to the Salton Sea (there was a great little hot springs there that I think is now capped). Scuba diving was good unless there was a storm muddying the water and you had to take a boat over to Santa Catalina or something, and you could sell the abalone to restaurants if you knew the right guys.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m going to brag for a second...

Last year I shared a fantasy football team with my 7-year-old. Halfway through the season, we were three games under .500 so I let him take over all decisions the rest of the season. By the end of the year he had revamped the whole roster, rattled off a bunch of wins in a row, and ended up missing out on a playoff spot by a few points.

Fast forward to this year: I buy him into my buddy’s league. He does all the prep, drafts his team, and has made all but a couple of personnel decisions.

My 8-year-old today locked up the 2nd playoff seed, a bye, and will tie for best record in a league full of dudes who take this shit seriously.

He’s also getting straight A’s, dances Hip-Hop competitively, makes his own music, coded a game called the Baconator 3000, and this weekend he almost single-handedly took his Vex Robotics team from 24th place (out of 30 teams) to the top 5 in his first tournament; the best result his elementary school has ever achieved.

My kid is really so fucking cool. The crazy thing is, at that robotics tournament, a friend of ours described my eight-year-old’s younger brother as “the smart one”. And she’s right. He’s in first grade and is running circles academically around his brother.

I am truly blessed. And I can’t wait to see what these kids do when they’re unleashed on the world.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:I’m going to brag for a second...

Last year I shared a fantasy football team with my 7-year-old. Halfway through the season, we were three games under .500 so I let him take over all decisions the rest of the season. By the end of the year he had revamped the whole roster, rattled off a bunch of wins in a row, and ended up missing out on a playoff spot by a few points.

Fast forward to this year: I buy him into my buddy’s league. He does all the prep, drafts his team, and has made all but a couple of personnel decisions.

My 8-year-old today locked up the 2nd playoff seed, a bye, and will tie for best record in a league full of dudes who take this shit seriously.

He’s also getting straight A’s, dances Hip-Hop competitively, makes his own music, coded a game called the Baconator 3000, and this weekend he almost single-handedly took his Vex Robotics team from 24th place (out of 30 teams) to the top 5 in his first tournament; the best result his elementary school has ever achieved.

My kid is really so fucking cool. The crazy thing is, at that robotics tournament, a friend of ours described my eight-year-old’s younger brother as “the smart one”. And she’s right. He’s in first grade and is running circles academically around his brother.

I am truly blessed. And I can’t wait to see what these kids do when they’re unleashed on the world.
Awesome J. I hope my unborn kids are half as cool. It's amazing how different being 8 in 2018 is vs being 8 in 1986 or 1994 or whatnot. There's so much more available to kids these days that they can be awesome at.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Taht's awesome Chi.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Where can I play this Baconator 3000
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Where can I play this Baconator 3000
There’s a coding app & community for kids called Tynker. Which is such an amazing idea.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just shows that great parenting turns out great kids! Props to Chi and FemCat.

Can't top that, but I was on the local news! Should have wore my UA hoodie instead.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He just won his playoff game and is on to the championship round.

The Kid’s about to win daddy some cash... :D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:

And he did. Blew out his opponent by 50 points in the final game.

Hopefully I didn’t just turn my kid into a degenerate gambler...
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:
Chicat wrote:

And he did. Blew out his opponent by 50 points in the final game.

Hopefully I didn’t just turn my kid into a degenerate gambler...
Hopefully not. But congrats!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just got a parking permit for the Cherry Street parking garage. Automatically renews every August. I just drive up, and the gate opens with an automated gesture that seems to say, “Welcome, Mr. Longhorned. Enjoy the game. Let me know if I can get you any drinks or anything else to make your visit more comfortable. You sly, I’ll-deserving jerk.”
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Effective March 1, I'll be a partner at my firm. Took them long enough :)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

legallykenny wrote:Effective March 1, I'll be a partner at my firm. Took them long enough :)
Congrats! Does that mean less work or more?
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:
legallykenny wrote:Effective March 1, I'll be a partner at my firm. Took them long enough :)
Congrats! Does that mean less work or more?
It means he can delegate the mind-numbing scut work to the scrubs, keep the sexy stuff for himself and take home a piece of the pie whenever they cut it up.

Congrats legallykenny! Well-deserved I'm sure.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nice job Kenny!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Great stuff, Kenny!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Hell yeah! Nice job Kenny.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Thanks guys. Now the real work starts...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I realize he is a novelist, but formerly a lawyer, but do John Grisham's novels have any semblance to real life Kenny?

Forgot what book it was, but but one of the partners was telling a new hire that even if he thinks about a case in the shower, bill that time to the client!

Why I own the world: My office finally has heat, halfway through my 3rd winter without it. I was using a 300w heater to keep the chill off, since a 1500w heater would blow the circuits.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Merkin wrote:I realize he is a novelist, but formerly a lawyer, but do John Grisham's novels have any semblance to real life Kenny?

Forgot what book it was, but but one of the partners was telling a new hire that even if he thinks about a case in the shower, bill that time to the client!
Depends on the firm and the pressure Merk. That was one of his early novels, The Firm, I believe. I've spent many hours thinking about legal matters on my own time, strategizing in my head, and I've never billed a client for the brain damage in my own head. I would only bill someone if I'm actually sitting at the computer, reading/writing documents, emails or talking to someone about it - doing work. I've read all those Grisham novels and, as a lawyer, they're definitely relatable on a lot of that stuff, but he's a very accomplished story teller too. I've enjoyed most of them.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thanks BD. Loved The Firm, the book that is. The movie was awful.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Merkin wrote:I realize he is a novelist, but formerly a lawyer, but do John Grisham's novels have any semblance to real life Kenny?

Why I own the world: My office finally has heat, halfway through my 3rd winter without it. I was using a 300w heater to keep the chill off, since a 1500w heater would blow the circuits.
I only recall reading A Time to Kill, The Firm and The Client and those were a long time ago and a very different world than large corporate law firms.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

legallykenny wrote:

I only recall reading A Time to Kill, The Firm and The Client and those were a long time ago and a very different world than large corporate law firms.
I’ve always preferred Scott Turow’s novels...

... he continued his legal work through most of his writing career.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

For the 'true skinny' on partnership politics watch The Good Wife/The Good Fight. That'll open your eyes!

Disclaimer: IANAL so I really don't know what I'm talking about here. 8-)
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pc in NM wrote:
legallykenny wrote:

I’ve always preferred Scott Turow’s novels...

... he continued his legal work through most of his writing career.
Not to derail the thread, but Michael Connelly writes great detective procedurals, and his forays into legal/court-based crime stories are pretty good. His early works are best, Bloodwork got me hooked, The Poet continued, and the early Harry Bosch books are all worth reading.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I got an offer to join the ranks of responsibility with authority. Making things happen, with views from a window that looks down on it all. A chance to do good and help make a place I love even better. I worked hard for it. Offers like this don’t come around often — if ever. So when presented to you, it’s important to say no.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Office in the Haury building?

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:Office in the Haury building?
That building’s awesome. Probably hasn’t been ‘improved’ ever.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Office in the Haury building?
That building’s awesome. Probably hasn’t been ‘improved’ ever.
I highly doubt it has. Probably has it's original wiring and plumbing from whenever it was built like 80 years ago or whenever.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not updated?

Reminds me of when I had PE classes in Bear Down gym. The bathroom downstairs by the locker room had no stalls, just 2 rows of toilets.

I could never take a dump there. Probably a good thing I didn't join the Marines.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:Not updated?

Reminds me of when I had PE classes in Bear Down gym. The bathroom downstairs by the locker room had no stalls, just 2 rows of toilets.

I could never take a dump there. Probably a good thing I didn't join the Marines.

They had those in the downstairs bathrooms at Sierra Hall (formerly called East Stadium) where I lived my freshman year.
Downstairs they also had two connected rooms and put six guys in there.

Thank goodness I was upstairs where we had stalls and only two guys per room.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’ve literally never seen another man take a dump. Which is why I was surprised as anyone when I learned that some people somehow wipe while still seated.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:I’ve literally never seen another man take a dump.
Well, never indoors. But then, of course, well, never mind.
Longhorned wrote: Which is why I was surprised as anyone when I learned that some people somehow wipe while still seated.
.... which segues well into another bewilderment of mine (I apologize): If the act to which you refer employs a roll you carry with you then the rest of it often answers itself. Uh huh, the stories abound. I prefer a comfort height toilet, but when in absence it is replaced by an underground hornets' nest there are other, more ambulatory wiping positions that are surprising as well.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just got a new job at a 40% increase in salary.

That’s good, right?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Chicat wrote:Just got a new job at a 40% increase in salary.

That’s good, right?
Well, that depends.

Did you salary go from $1 to $1.40?

Now assuming I'm off by about five zeros, then yes it's very good. Congrats :D
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That’s good, right?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCats wrote:

That’s good, right?
Well, that depends.

Did you salary go from $1 to $1.40?

Now assuming I'm off by about five zeros, then yes it's very good. Congrats :D
:lol:
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

That’s good, right?
It pays to change jobs in a tight labor market, or so they say. Congrats! Did you shitcan the boss who was so disparaging of your "skinny project pipeline"? That always sounded like sexual harassment to me.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

That’s good, right?
As long as we get a new entry in the Outrageous Purchases thread. :mrgreen: