The Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Post by scumdevils86 »

CST: "Now honey I'm sorry but it's not a good time for a bunny right now."

Daughter: *sobs hysterically* "whyyyyyyy????"

CST: "Because this guy in jorts named Merkin on the message board said so, and we trust him. You should see his post count!"

Daughter: *Stops sobbing and sniffles* "..........."

CST: "I'll explain when you're older."
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Why do hotels bother operating pools anymore? I'm not asking for the resort type hotels with poolside bars; it's the interstate/airport hotels I wonder about, with the continental breakfasts and the average guest only there for one night.

Pools come with maintenance costs, legal liability, and are forced to install expensive handicap equipment any time the ADA passes a new round of laws. How much of their market are the interstate/airport Days Inn or La Quinta really losing if they just do away with the cost of pools? Maybe 1/20th of their guests will stay elsewhere if no pool? Is the market really that competitive?
And I said, ‘That last thing is what you can't get...Nobody can get to that last thing. We keep on living in hopes of catching it once and for all.’ Jack Kerouac, On The Road
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Same with hotel hot tubs. Gross. I know what people do in there when they think no one is watching. There are some private hot tubs near here, and they require an hour between uses for the filter to work.

scumdevils86 wrote:CST: "Now honey I'm sorry but it's not a good time for a bunny right now."

Daughter: *sobs hysterically* "whyyyyyyy????"

CST: "Because this guy in jorts named Merkin on the message board said so, and we trust him. You should see his post count!"

Daughter: *Stops sobbing and sniffles* "..........."

CST: "I'll explain when you're older."
Hey I resent that, I haven't worn jorts in years! I am all cargo pants now, need the additional pockets for my cell phone, reading glasses and so on.

The rest, well...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Why do hotels bother operating pools anymore? I'm not asking for the resort type hotels with poolside bars; it's the interstate/airport hotels I wonder about, with the continental breakfasts and the average guest only there for one night.

Pools come with maintenance costs, legal liability, and are forced to install expensive handicap equipment any time the ADA passes a new round of laws. How much of their market are the interstate/airport Days Inn or La Quinta really losing if they just do away with the cost of pools? Maybe 1/20th of their guests will stay elsewhere if no pool? Is the market really that competitive?
My kids would kill me in my sleep if we stayed somewhere without a pool. And if we have an early morning flight we’ll often stay at the airport Hilton or Hyatt the night before so we don’t have to get up in the middle of the night to drive to the airport.

As for hotel hot tubs, an old boss caught a never-ending skin infection from one so we try to stay away.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Why do hotels bother operating pools anymore? I'm not asking for the resort type hotels with poolside bars; it's the interstate/airport hotels I wonder about, with the continental breakfasts and the average guest only there for one night.

I agree from a business standpoint. The hotel pools are a necessity for families with children. As far as I can tell, that's a pretty small demographic. I fit into that demographic, and I'm constantly getting screwed for it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

using high speed internet wifi at 30K feet flying across the atlantic is pretty sweet.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

BTW: Happy Negroni Week!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:using high speed internet wifi at 30K feet flying across the atlantic is pretty sweet.
It is really after thinking about flying cross country just 5-10 years ago with no internet.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:using high speed internet wifi at 30K feet flying across the atlantic is pretty sweet.
It is really after thinking about flying cross country just 5-10 years ago with no internet.
talking about the internet, its how the US CST's reconnected with the Italian CSTs (direct relatives) and are putting CST and CST wife and kids up for two weeks. Small small world.

ok back to negroni's
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

A distinct advantage of buying an old house instead of a newly built house is that, when you move in, usually there's at least a little toilet paper on that last roll the previous owner left there.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Good god no. The worst innovation since the blackberry. Flying used to be one of the few times you were truly free from work. No longer.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

legallykenny wrote:
Good god no. The worst innovation since the blackberry. Flying used to be one of the few times you were truly free from work. No longer.
Yup. Now I am able, and sometimes expected, to be available to work literally all the time with email and instant messaging on my phone and a work laptop.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Just make your automatic response say:

"I'm currently in transit and unavailable. I went simple. I went easy. I went Greyhound!"
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
Yup. Now I am able, and sometimes expected, to be available to work literally all the time with email and instant messaging on my phone and a work laptop.
I feel sorry for you poor saps.

I should be a available 24/7 but that’s what the other docs in my practice are for. I just check my work email once or twice a week so that I don’t have a complete shit show when I come back from these three week “check outs”

Wifi on the plane is only to pass the time and since not critical, pretty rad
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I really really really super duper like the south of France.

Cannes is like everything you expect but yet nothing like it. Really cool and surprising place.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
I feel sorry for you poor saps.

I should be a available 24/7 but that’s what the other docs in my practice are for. I just check my work email once or twice a week so that I don’t have a complete shit show when I come back from these three week “check outs”

Wifi on the plane is only to pass the time and since not critical, pretty rad
It's not that bad now compared to the year long project we just finished up. I still get about 300 relevant emails a week.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The essential advantage of working for a non-profit institution can be boiled down to how unlikely it is that you'd ever be fired for keeping your own roll of toilet paper on your desk, and carrying it back and forth to the bathroom as your co-workers watch it get smaller throughout the week until you replace it with a new one from the supply you store in that large drawer below.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:The essential advantage of working for a non-profit institution can be boiled down to how unlikely it is that you'd ever be fired for keeping your own roll of toilet paper on your desk, and carrying it back and forth to the bathroom as your co-workers watch it get smaller throughout the week until you replace it with a new one from the supply you store in that large drawer below.
Oh son, it isn't about your workplace: toilet paper snobbery is not a disease, it's perfectly healthy and nothing to be ashamed of. If I can accept it in myself, you can too. It took weekly meetings at the Tucson chapter, but the wonderful Sweetwater Road folks are there to help heal you. Trust me, you'll come to understand it's a part of a natural aesthetic you should embrace. These days we walk into fine hotels all across the country with heads held high, my proud supply of Charmin extra-soft in our kit.

I'd be honored to be your sponsor.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Concussions suck.

Don’t do stupid shit in the pool.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

:shock:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

azgreg wrote:
That’s the exit from my neighborhood! I just heard about this on the radio and meant to look up the pictures. Thanks for doing that for me. :D
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:That’s the exit from my neighborhood! I just heard about this on the radio and meant to look up the pictures. Thanks for doing that for me. :D
Which neighborhood?

My wife's family used to live on 710 E Agave Place but are long gone.

My wife's sister in law lives on the other side of First Ave in some townhomes.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Merkin wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:That’s the exit from my neighborhood! I just heard about this on the radio and meant to look up the pictures. Thanks for doing that for me. :D
Which neighborhood?

My wife's family used to live on 710 E Agave Place but are long gone.

My wife's sister in law lives on the other side of First Ave in some townhomes.
It’s called Oracle Foothills Estates. The main streets are Agave, Yvon, Genematas and Maria. I love the neighborhood. It feels like you are in the middle of the desert, but you’re just right around the corner from all necessary services.

Just looked up your wife’s family’s address. It just on the other side of 1st Ave from my neighborhood.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What would happen if you took a large, thin, flour tortilla, put a heap of apple pie filling on it, rolled it up, brushed it with melted butter, baked it, sliced it into thirds, and plated the slices with scoops of vanilla ice cream on top?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

You’d be in my favorite Bavarian restaurant owned by Nacho Blumenstein eating a tortilla strudel mit das Speiseeis.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

If it was the Florida state fair I’m pretty sure somebody would take a loose interpretation of what was meant by “donut hole.”
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I have a closing on the San Antonio condo tentatively scheduled for 8/2. It's only been listed for a fucking year due to an HOA lawsuit with the building developer. Groan. Something is gonna bollox the deal, I just know it.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I still haven't figured out a way to get out of situations where I'm being "voluntold".
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:I still haven't figured out a way to get out of situations where I'm being "voluntold".
Shit i finally figured it out and I make way less than you!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I still haven't figured out a way to get out of situations where I'm being "voluntold".
Shit i finally figured it out and I make way less than you!
The problem is two-fold.

I get invited to meetings/task forces/interest sections for various things. I tend to only speak when I have something to add/move the discussion forward or to correct when someone else is being silly. I generally speak clearly, articulately, rationally, and passionately about the things I do care about when I choose to speak. I'm fairly high up at my institution, but we all have bosses, so when the big BIG boss starts asking your take on things and to deliver information for his duties, best to comply.

Also, I'm a pretty ambitious dude. I wish I wasn't. (honest to god truth) I can't help it, it's how I'm wired - I figure if your gonna put time into something, you give it your all and then some, make it worth your while, you get out what you put in, just do it right, type of mentality. So I get myself into situations that I care about, want to make changes, take on projects I like, sometimes bite off more that I can chew, but I always deliver.

I guess like most relationships, it's a lot of what I bring to the situation and a little of what others are requesting/expecting of me, and I can't/rarely, say no.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Makes sense. I get it. I'm in 2-3 hours of meetings and calls a day that impact the strategic plan of the institution blah blah and manage a dozen third party vendors and integrations. Yet I don't speak up that much, only when it is worthwhile for my business needs. I report to people though and we're all beholden.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:Makes sense. I get it. I'm in 2-3 hours of meetings and calls a day that impact the strategic plan of the institution blah blah and manage a dozen third party vendors and integrations. Yet I don't speak up that much, only when it is worthwhile for my business needs. I report to people though and we're all beholden.
Thats good stuff man, don't speak much and only when you absolutely have to. I need to try that more. :lol:
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I sure hope I can find a remote job when I move to the Midwest in a year.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:I sure hope I can find a remote job when I move to the Midwest in a year.
Ah, but then you have have oh so fun telephone meetings, in which you have to speak up otherwise the group thinks your dead or grifting, in which case you'll get a question posed to you like "SD86, I know you have experience in blah blah blah, what do you think about this current strategy?"

And then you'll 1. start speaking but forget to take yourself off mute because you've been trying to hammer our frivolous emails, and 2. trying to make up the best answer because you didn't really hear the question because everyones phone conferencing system is trash and you were checking shit on your phone on BDW, which trying to slam thought emails.

Yup, telephone conference calls are fun...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I sure hope I can find a remote job when I move to the Midwest in a year.
Ah, but then you have have oh so fun telephone meetings, in which you have to speak up otherwise the group thinks your dead or grifting, in which case you'll get a question posed to you like "SD86, I know you have experience in blah blah blah, what do you think about this current strategy?"

And then you'll 1. start speaking but forget to take yourself off mute because you've been trying to hammer our frivolous emails, and 2. trying to make up the best answer because you didn't really hear the question because everyones phone conferencing system is trash and you were checking shit on your phone on BDW, which trying to slam thought emails.

Yup, telephone conference calls are fun...
I like to start my answer then hit the mute button intermittently so everyone thinks my phone is breaking up. They usually move on pretty quickly from me and I can go back to playing video games.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I-17 flex lanes in the Black Canyon region. Interesting.

https://www.azfamily.com/traffic/adot-s ... 9c500.html" target="_blank
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hmmm .....

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Wasn't sure where to post this. This is my cousin's son-in-law and his brother.

Doesn't sound good. Hope they catch whoever is involved.

2 Wisconsin brothers went to Missouri on business. Now they are missing.

"They didn't make their flight," the mother of Justin and Nick Diemel said. "They found the abandoned truck on the side of the road with their carry-ons and that was it."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/2- ... y-n1033601

July 24, 2019, 8:05 AM MST / Updated July 24, 2019, 9:36 AM MST
By David K. Li

A 35-year-old father of four and his 24-year-old brother have gone missing after traveling from their homes in Wisconsin to Missouri on business.

Justin and Nick Diemel, 24 and 35, respectively, who own Diemel Livestock in northeast Wisconsin, were supposed to come home Sunday but didn't make their scheduled flight, officials said.

Their rental truck was found in a commuter parking lot in Holt, about 30 miles northeast of the Kansas International Airport, on Monday with no sign of the two men, authorities said.

Nick Diemel's wife said she spoke to her husband on the phone Sunday morning before they were supposed to visit a client.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Any luck tracking their cell phones? A couple of my brothers and sisters know where I am constantly if they wanted to since we enabled Google tracking to get my senior dad to do it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Never ever, no matter how thirsty, drink out of someone’s waterbottle, friend or family member, without asking first.

That person might miralax in it.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Is the rest of life jinxable the way Wildcat games are? Do I dare give in to hope?

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dovecanyoncat wrote:Is the rest of life jinxable the way Wildcat games are? Do I dare give in to hope?
Hope doesn't exist. Being a wildcat fan since 2002 and seeing the world currently politically has dissuaded me from that concept. But I still watch Star Trek and fantasize about hope...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Learned some new terms recently. From the world of dating: foodie call and sneating. Wicked.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this. This is my cousin's son-in-law and his brother.

"They didn't make their flight," the mother of Justin and Nick Diemel said. "They found the abandoned truck on the side of the road with their carry-ons and that was it."

By David K. Li

A 35-year-old father of four and his 24-year-old brother have gone missing after traveling from their homes in Wisconsin to Missouri on business.

Justin and Nick Diemel, 24 and 35, respectively, who own Diemel Livestock in northeast Wisconsin, were supposed to come home Sunday but didn't make their scheduled flight, officials said.

Their rental truck was found in a commuter parking lot in Holt, about 30 miles northeast of the Kansas International Airport, on Monday with no sign of the two men, authorities said.

Nick Diemel's wife said she spoke to her husband on the phone Sunday morning before they were supposed to visit a client.
They found their bodies (not officially identified yet)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/01/us/misso ... index.html
-JB
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Sorry to hear about this. It didn’t seem like a good situation when you first posted. :cry:
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this. This is my cousin's son-in-law and his brother.

By David K. Li

They found their bodies (not officially identified yet)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/01/us/misso ... index.html
When the world just swallows up the innocent it's hard to do any more than just to stand in disbelief. Sorry for your loss.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Sorry to hear about this. It didn’t seem like a good situation when you first posted. :cry:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
When the world just swallows up the innocent it's hard to do any more than just to stand in disbelief. Sorry for your loss.
Thanks guys. I never met Nick, his brother, or Nick's wife Lisa (my first cousin once removed)

I haven't seen my cousin (Lisa's mom) in years (she lives in Loveland, CO) but I'm friends with her on Facebook and my mom and sister see her regularly.
My heart just aches for her and her daughter and the 4 grandkids.
-JB