Post your unpopular opinions

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Post your unpopular opinions

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Who is she and why is she famous and where do you see her to get a sense of her “hotness”
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

She looks/reminds me of my first college gf.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I posted a video of her being interviewed while eating hot wings over in the media forum. Needless to say, another failure of an unpopular opinion.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

She's crazy in all the good kind of ways
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I thought for sure I’d get some push back on this. But you nerds know what’s up.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I thought she was younger than she is too. She's 35 and I thought she was like 29.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I like paying for everyday purchase with cash.

Gas, groceries, coffee, restaurants, take out, etc etc.

Fuck it, i love it!

It gives me control of my purchases and my budget in a way that my debit card never could. For me something about physically seeing myself pay paper money for items has made me a more discerning shopper and values my hard earned paycheck a bit more. Sure i still splurge on some items (European preserves) and it makes me appreciate them that much more. It makes me appreciate the stuff I have more. It makes me limit my gas spend on errands, been riding the bike more to the local market for stuff.

And we are spending so much less over the week saving that for other longer term goals.

I thought my wife was crazy when she suggested this idea, but so far one month it it’s working really well and sustainable.

I guess this is my one throwback hipster rage against the machine thing that I do these days. Lol real rebel, I know.
There's a reason it's called currency. Use of treasury notes of immediate maturity is an intimate transaction and a more holistic reckoning than the use of revolving credit. The system hates you, of course, because it can't attach you digitally and charge you for the privilege of making errors while using them as short term loans while you fight with it about them. If you use currency you're a scofflaw, a burden, an asshole ... unless it's in the form of a tip, then you're a man of the world!

We recently joined a heath club and once again had to go through the whole fucking song and dance about refusing to allow automatic monthly debits. It's a dealbreaker, go fuck yourself, you fucking clone, no one is going to have access to my accounts but me and mine. What? a check for the entire year befuddles you? Does your mother know you have a job that requires you to ask me for my birthdate?

Even though they're not anywhere as bad as Wells Fargo I'm starting to get pissed at BOA. No, BOA, I don't want a debit card and even if you make it a required form of customer ID. Here's my passport, if that don't fly I'll go find some place that doesn't require it.

Payment by check is next: No, HOA, Ute, Telecom, Insurance, your bean counters are board certified imbeciles and your sites get hacked, so I'll pay in the form that suits me, thank you very much, now fuck off.

There should be a tax credit for being a curmudgeon.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:

Fuck it, i love it!

It gives me control of my purchases and my budget in a way that my debit card never could. For me something about physically seeing myself pay paper money for items has made me a more discerning shopper and values my hard earned paycheck a bit more. Sure i still splurge on some items (European preserves) and it makes me appreciate them that much more. It makes me appreciate the stuff I have more. It makes me limit my gas spend on errands, been riding the bike more to the local market for stuff.

And we are spending so much less over the week saving that for other longer term goals.

I thought my wife was crazy when she suggested this idea, but so far one month it it’s working really well and sustainable.

I guess this is my one throwback hipster rage against the machine thing that I do these days. Lol real rebel, I know.
There's a reason it's called currency. Use of treasury notes of immediate maturity is an intimate transaction and a more holistic reckoning than the use of revolving credit. The system hates you, of course, because it can't attach you digitally and charge you for the privilege of making errors while using them as short term loans while you fight with it about them. If you use currency you're a scofflaw, a burden, an asshole ... unless it's in the form of a tip, then you're a man of the world!

We recently joined a heath club and once again had to go through the whole fucking song and dance about refusing to allow automatic monthly debits. It's a dealbreaker, go fuck yourself, you fucking clone, no one is going to have access to my accounts but me and mine. What? a check for the entire year befuddles you? Does your mother know you have a job that requires you to ask me for my birthdate?

Even though they're not anywhere as bad as Wells Fargo I'm starting to get pissed at BOA. No, BOA, I don't want a debit card and even if you make it a required form of customer ID. Here's my passport, if that don't fly I'll go find some place that doesn't require it.

Payment by check is next: No, HOA, Ute, Telecom, Insurance, your bean counters are board certified imbeciles and your sites get hacked, so I'll pay in the form that suits me, thank you very much, now fuck off.

As someone who works in retail digital banking you're the guy that makes everyone I work with roll their eyes!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dovecanyoncat wrote:

Fuck it, i love it!

Checks are far far far far less safe than debit/online banking/ACH payment. Checks are probably worse than cash even and are the worst and least secure form of payment to use in today's world.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Dove, You are awesome and I mean that in the most platonic Middle Aged male drinking camping fishing buddy kind of way. Spot on curmudgeon!

Wife loves her checks, she’s old world like that.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Europeans are completely befuddled by the concept of checks. “Here’s this piece of paper I wrote on. I swear I have this much money in my account and will transfer it over to you. And I promise not to withdraw too much in the interim so I won’t have enough to keep this flimsy promise to pay you the stated amount.”

Well when you put it that way it does seem sort of . . . quaint?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Does nobody watch Legion on FX? There was a scene last season where..... oh wow. If you are an Aubrey Plaza fan, you need to watch Legion. Also a great Marvel series.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote: As someone who works in retail digital banking you're the guy that makes everyone I work with roll their eyes!
Like I said: I'm an asshole.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Checks are far far far far less safe than debit/online banking/ACH payment. Checks are probably worse than cash even and are the worst and least secure form of payment to use in today's world.
I'm certain there are stats to prove you correct. But I've never had even a minuscule security issue with them.

~ Wilhoit's Law
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote: Checks are far far far far less safe than debit/online banking/ACH payment. Checks are probably worse than cash even and are the worst and least secure form of payment to use in today's world.
I'm certain there are stats to prove you correct. But I've never had even a minuscule security issue with them.
Other than you inconveniencing the hell out of everyone you give them to haha.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Dove, You are awesome and I mean that in the most platonic Middle Aged male drinking camping fishing buddy kind of way. Spot on curmudgeon!

IIRC every single issue I've ever had was the fault of the vendor, the bank, the website, the software, moron #1 and moron #2. With a few god habits, all the risks posed by the postal service or check washing seem to accrue to other people who don't have much sense. But people are generally irresponsible. Curmudgeons never make mistakes, noooo.

You married well. ;)

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote: As someone who works in retail digital banking you're the guy that makes everyone I work with roll their eyes!
Like I said: I'm an asshole.
You may be an asshole but not in the way many of the people I dealt with for a decade are. There's a difference. I've worked for the same financial institution for 12 years now and have moved up from the lowest level to quite a bit higher in the corporate world. I've seen it all.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
IIRC every single issue I've ever had was the fault of the vendor, the bank, the website, the software, moron #1 and moron #2. With a few god habits, all the risks posed by the postal service or check washing seem to accrue to other people who don't have much sense. But people are generally irresponsible. Curmudgeons never make mistakes, noooo.

I love a good Midnight Run reference. Bravo!

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Dove, You are awesome and I mean that in the most platonic Middle Aged male drinking camping fishing buddy kind of way. Spot on curmudgeon!

You married well. ;)
In the 17 years I've been in the workforce...the main thing I've learned is that it's almost always the customer's fault and that the customer is almost always wrong.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:
Other than you inconveniencing the hell out of everyone you give them to haha.
A man's gotta be good for something. 8-) Seriously though, they can just say no, but in the end nobody does. It's as specious and ephemeral as the insistence on providing your zipcode or phone number when buying a coffee. I didn't opt-in to that shit. I understand the value in acquiring and then selling my information; I understand the efficiencies of automation in retail transaction, but I bet if you were to drill down into the numbers the safety advantage is diminishing with time. There's so many more lambs to slaughter in digital transactions .... that's where the meat is. Albanian scammers view my checks as chiseled into stone tablets. Why bother?, says Marco from Tropoja.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
dovecanyoncat wrote:

I love a good Midnight Run reference. Bravo!

Dennis Farina also does Moron #1 and Moron #2 in Big Trouble. @6:15

Big Trouble is exquisite. Ben Foster as a kid. Bombshell Sophia Vergara as a young unknown hotness. Tom Sizemore. Stanley Tucci. You can see it all in separate parts on Youtube.

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Too many micro breweries are push their worn out IPAs well past their welcoming. Particularly out West. The drinking era of self-congratulatory IPA prowess is well past its prime. You are not any more interesting as a person because of you tried five new IPAs last week.
And I said, ‘That last thing is what you can't get...Nobody can get to that last thing. We keep on living in hopes of catching it once and for all.’ Jack Kerouac, On The Road
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Too many micro breweries are push their worn out IPAs well past their welcoming. Particularly out West. The drinking era of self-congratulatory IPA prowess is well past its prime. You are not any more interesting as a person because of you tried five new IPAs last week.
Agree totally
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CatsbyAZ wrote:Too many micro breweries are push their worn out IPAs well past their welcoming. Particularly out West. The drinking era of self-congratulatory IPA prowess is well past its prime. You are not any more interesting as a person because of you tried five new IPAs last week.
True craft beer is normal now. I say just drink whatever you want. I used to be into the ipas a lot now though I like drinking the craft lagers and pilsners and session beers.

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I much prefer good craft beer over any large brewery, but . . . IPA just tastes awful to me. Much like Scotch, which started out life as a horse liniment, IPA wasn’t invented to taste good.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I really don't like scotch or IPAs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I much prefer good craft beer over any large brewery, but . . . IPA just tastes awful to me. Much like Scotch, which started out life as a horse liniment, IPA wasn’t invented to taste good.
No it was not.

I always tell my IPA snob friends that it was originally brewed to make it from England to India without spoiling and no one gave a shit how it tasted. Now they’re lapping it up like it’s the culmination of expert brewers with advanced palates. Sorry my man, but you’re drinking what convicts pressed into service on an English ship drank 200 years ago because they couldn’t drink the fucking water.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I much prefer good craft beer over any large brewery, but . . . IPA just tastes awful to me. Much like Scotch, which started out life as a horse liniment, IPA wasn’t invented to taste good.

Same here. The older I get, the less hop I want my beer.

Reminded me of something my marketing professor said back in the 1980s when I was a student. He came from Falstaff, and they found men generally stopped drinking beer around age 40, and switched to mixed drinks, usually involving whiskey. That's probably a little dated, looking at all the old TV shows and movies.

Now 98% of my drinking is red wine.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I always like some hop in the beer, just not overpowering. Most good craft lagers or pilsners do have a little hop. Hazy east coast ipas are pretty good and not overpowering hoppy.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s me merkin, late thirty’s and rarely drink beer, prefer red wine or a good cocktail.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CalStateTempe wrote:That’s me merkin, late thirty’s and rarely drink beer, prefer red wine or a good cocktail.
I don't think I'll ever like red wine. It all just tastes awful to me. Room temperature red wine is just blech.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

pilsner>any other beer
red wine>pilsner
single malt whisky>red wine/water/breath/sex/life itself

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:pilsner>any other beer
red wine>pilsner
single malt whisky>red wine/water/breath/sex/life itself
Bourbon over everything.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

*especially unpopular with the older gen*

Cursive writing is the snob's excuse to write illegibly; not being able to "read cursive" is 90% time not being able to read somebody else's half-assed handwriting.
And I said, ‘That last thing is what you can't get...Nobody can get to that last thing. We keep on living in hopes of catching it once and for all.’ Jack Kerouac, On The Road
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bathroom attendants make me uncomfortable.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

azgreg wrote:Bathroom attendants make me uncomfortable.
This definitely belongs in the Random Thoughts or Venting threads. Who ever thought this was a good idea? At most they should come in periodically and refresh the rolled up towel bowl and clean the counter.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Give them a job to do. Walk toward the door with your wiener still hanging out of your fly.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Longhorned wrote:
Give them a job to do. Walk toward the door with your wiener still hanging out of your fly.
And THEN what?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

SCCats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
And THEN what?
Have them wax my balls?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

azgreg wrote:
SCCats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
And THEN what?
Have them wax my balls?
Oh. A full service place.

Later on your and Longhorned can be like “what are you in for?”

“Dick out at the bathroom attendant. You?”

“Same.”
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
Have you no compassion at all? Dude already works in a pissoir and you want me to break his heart past care. That's cold.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Think about how they must feel.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

If you live with only your pets, and you die in your home, your corpse is fair game as food for your cats and dogs during the weeks or months it might take extended family and authorities to discover your body.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CatsbyAZ wrote:If you live with only your pets, and you die in your home, your corpse is fair game as food for your cats and dogs during the weeks or months it might take extended family and authorities to discover your body.
This seems not so much an unpopular opinion as it does a fortune cookie saying.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Yeah, this is my life (and inevitable death). Whatever, I’ll be beyond caring. Just hope somebody finds the cats before they finish off my liver and starve.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don’t care how fresh, I will not eat bananas with brown spots.

And if I get into the banana and it’s brown down the core even in one small spot and the rest of ok...into the trash with you.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:I don’t care how fresh, I will not eat bananas with brown spots.

And if I get into the banana and it’s brown down the core even in one small spot and the rest of ok...into the trash with you.
Those are prefect for smoothies.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I don’t care how fresh, I will not eat bananas with brown spots.

and banana bread!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
azgreg wrote:

and banana bread!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I mix up the black bananas with milk and sugar and pass them off to the 3-year-old as "banana pudding."

Another thing you can do is just spread the soft, dark banana on bread is a substitute for jelly in a PBJ.