2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote:I thought it was delayed until spring?

:D
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Alieberman wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:The SEC is playing football in the fall unless shit gets really really crazy. I would bet any amount of money on that.

Any D1 team that does not play will be fucked over financially forever. Football will be played in fall. The amount of people in the stands is the question. If you care about any sports besides football you are praying for fans in the stands in fall.
Anyone speaking in absolutes on this topic is a fucking idiot.
Bump.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Some stupid schools are planning on playing anyway like Nebraska.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Someone's mad. As a parent of current college student, I am extremely glad he is home with us and doing distance learning.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spring football isn't going to happen. At this point I'm just hoping baseball/softball happen and any thkng more is just gravy.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Someone's mad. As a parent of current college student, I am extremely glad he is home with us and doing distance learning.

He's mad because his sons had an opportunity to play one season together. Colin is done as an Arizona football player and Brendan likely is too. Sucks for the family to never see that dream come true.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Someone's mad. As a parent of current college student, I am extremely glad he is home with us and doing distance learning.

He's mad because his sons had an opportunity to play one season together. Colin is done as an Arizona football player and Brendan likely is too. Sucks for the family to never see that dream come true.
But surprisingly better than dying from a virus somehow.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

But surprisingly better than dying from a virus somehow.
Except if you were remotely intellectually honest you'd know the odds of that happening were slim to none, but you're not, so meh.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Except if you were remotely intellectually honest you'd know the odds of that happening were slim to none, but you're not, so meh.
And if you were intellectually honest, you’d know the odds of catching it are far higher than the odds of dying from it. And the possible effects of catching it on an athlete are far more serious than the understandable but emotionally short-sighted desire for brothers to play one season of football together.

Re: spring ball—not sure how you can do that and then ask them to play another season 3-4 months later in the fall of 2021.
Last edited by ByJoveByJingle on Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Anyone who still values sports over the overall health and safety of their community and makes continuous excuses for sports right now is a garbage person
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Merkin wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: Take away a year of football TV revenue and tv salsa and thers will be very few ncaa sports going forward
That's a bad thing?

rifle
rowing
skiing
fencing
bowling
lacrosse
water polo
field hockey
cross country
How long before ESPNU throws in the towels and starts broadcasting marathons of Coach?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

scumdevils86 wrote:Anyone who still values sports over the overall health and safety of their community and makes continuous excuses for sports right now is a garbage person
So true. Makes it easy to spot the simpletons.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So the Big 12, SEC and ACC will play this fall? Have to wonder if many of our athletes that want to play might transfer
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:So the Big 12, SEC and ACC will play this fall? Have to wonder if many of our athletes that want to play might transfer
The SEC and ACC haven't stated yet but after the Big 12's decision I'd imagine they'll try.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Are those conferences going to require their players and parents to sign waivers? I would not. Should be like the military. If you get sick while in the service, the military is responsible for your health for life.

Heart condition linked with COVID-19 fuels Power 5 concern about season's viability

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -viability" target="_blank

At the Heart of It: Cardiac Inflammation the Next Virus Hurdle for College Leaders

https://www.si.com/college/2020/08/09/n ... s-concerns" target="_blank

Heart condition linked to COVID-19 plays role in college football changes

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/heart- ... ll-changes" target="_blank

azcat49 wrote:So the Big 12, SEC and ACC will play this fall? Have to wonder if many of our athletes that want to play might transfer
Wonder how many players would be good enough to play for those programs?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Yeah because athletes can only get the virus by playing
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I hope the conferences that are playing have contingency plans for when by week three 1/2 their rosters are sick or quarantined.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:Yeah because athletes can only get the virus by playing
When are you going to get it through that skull of yours that BIG GROUPS are super spreaders of this disease? This is fact. This is the reason why gatherings of more than 10 people aren't allowed to happen right now. This is why restaurants can only open in a limited capacity.

Do you not understand this?

Yes some student athletes from the Pac 12 and Big 10 will contract COVID 19

But if these other conferences do play I can tell you 2 things that will happen:

#1... These athletes will get COVID at a much higher rate. (As well as their communitees)
#2 Their Fall season will eventually get shut down.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The UA football team is around 100 athletes including walk ons and redshirts, and probably around 20 in the coaching staff and assistants. They sit together in the meeting rooms, they are in locker rooms together, they eat together.

In what world could that be done using CDC guidelines?

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
The UA football team is around 100 athletes including walk ons and redshirts, and probably around 20 in the coaching staff and assistants. They sit together in the meeting rooms, they are in locker rooms together, they eat together.

In what world could that be done using CDC guidelines?

So you are saying no one will get Covid then?

How did players get it during the summer?

And teams can still work out and practice 20 hours a week
mofo

Post by mofo »

Question: Who here is planning to get a COVID vaccine as soon as one becomes available?

Next question: Do you see the NCAA/conferences/schools mandating that athletes get a COVID vaccine and recommended boosters prior to returning to play? That's going to open a huge can of worms. If the answer is no, then there will always be a chance of spread, just like today.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

College athletes will be low on the priority list for a Covid vaccine. Tit is extremely unlikely there will be one for college aged athletes by January 1
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

mofo wrote:Question: Who here is planning to get a COVID vaccine as soon as one becomes available?

Next question: Do you see the NCAA/conferences/schools mandating that athletes get a COVID vaccine and recommended boosters prior to returning to play? That's going to open a huge can of worms. If the answer is no, then there will always be a chance of spread, just like today.

There will be a chance of spread, vaccine or not. The current vaccines under clinical trial may not even reach the 50% effectiveness mark.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/07/fauci-say ... effective/" target="_blank
Last edited by dmjcat on Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote:
mofo wrote:Question: Who here is planning to get a COVID vaccine as soon as one becomes available?

There will be a chance of spread, vaccine or not. The current vaccines under clinical trial may not even reach the 50% mark.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/07/fauci-say ... effective/" target="_blank
That's pretty typical, the 2020 flu vaccine was only 45% effective.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I won’t get one it out before the election.

I have my concerns about an vaccine manufactured by a US based co.

My money is on the Oxford/AstraZeneca group. There science is legit and their manufacturing to scale sound.

That’s the one I’d get when it’s released (if all goes well jan-mar 2021)
mofo

Post by mofo »

ChooChooCat wrote:Spring football isn't going to happen. At this point I'm just hoping baseball/softball happen and any thkng more is just gravy.
It wouldn't work very well for the athletes if it does. A lot of athletes schedule their harder classes for semesters they're not playing in, so at this point their harder classes are set up during the would-be football season in spring. Also, they'd likely be wrapping up football season shortly before summer practices to start...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

mofo wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Spring football isn't going to happen. At this point I'm just hoping baseball/softball happen and any thkng more is just gravy.
It wouldn't work very well for the athletes if it does. A lot of athletes schedule their harder classes for semesters they're not playing in, so at this point their harder classes are set up during the would-be football season in spring. Also, they'd likely be wrapping up football season shortly before summer practices to start...
Plus anyone who got hurt would be missing time for parts of two seasons.

Spring football is most likely not happening. Less than 1% chance
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

mofo wrote:

Good point. Athletes generally get priority registration when their sport is in season.

Only thing I am hoping for is basketball. Only 14 scholarship players. Baseball and softball have 25 or more on a roster, although many just have partial scholarships if any at all.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Hopefully they go all they can for those sports that might be impacted two seasons in a row. Not much you can do I guess but hopefully they get to play
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My god man get a hold of yourself...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
mofo wrote:

Good point. Athletes generally get priority registration when their sport is in season.

Only thing I am hoping for is basketball. Only 14 scholarship players. Baseball and softball have 25 or more on a roster, although many just have partial scholarships if any at all.
Every thing I hear suggests basketball is 100% happening. The NCAA'a survival literally depends on it. If you have bball then you have to have baseball/softball.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

So, if the risk of infection by COVID-19 is deemed sufficient to cancel a college football season...

... how long until the risk of CTE is deemed sufficient to cancel college football entirely??
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

pc in NM wrote:So, if the risk of infection by COVID-19 is deemed sufficient to cancel a college football season...

... how long until the risk of CTE is deemed sufficient to cancel college football entirely??
COVID will usher in a sooner CTE apocalypse.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

84Cat wrote:
Too bad the PAC 12 isn’t all in on economics.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SEC fans, like Ohio State fans, have football as a way of life, a big part of their life, not just a hobby like PAC fans do.
KingG

Post by KingG »

So you all love Larry Scott again I take it? Lol
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

KingG wrote:So you all love Larry Scott again I take it? Lol
No?

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

KingG wrote:So you all love Larry Scott again I take it? Lol
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/ ... PH0PSJsY2c" target="_blank

“Without football, we’re estimating a $60 to $65 million impact in revenue loss,” Heeke said Friday on a Zoom press conference. “The financial implications are pretty significant.”

Heeke said Arizona’s projected 2020-21 athletic budget is about $94 million. The most recent U.S. Department of Education numbers, from the 2018-19 academic year, showed football produced $43.3 million in revenue with a large chunk of that coming from media rights, while it had $23.3 million in expenses.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

It seems inevitable there will be some programs that will get cut. Going to be a rough couple of years. For those who want Sumlin fired, it's not going to happen.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We'll see what happens.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So players are safer on campus?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:So players are safer on campus?
Even safer in isolation cells.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Have classes started at Oklahoma?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

They're safest at home quarantined not participating in football activities or in classrooms...just like every other American.