2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: 2020 Season Thread

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:Boulder county Colorado today banned all gatherings of any size for 18-22 head olds, university athletics included. So as of now, no Colorado this season. College kids can't be trusted.
Move practice for the time being outside the county.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Boulder county Colorado today banned all gatherings of any size for 18-22 head olds, university athletics included. So as of now, no Colorado this season. College kids can't be trusted.
The timing of it is ironic: Thursday, just before the Pac-12 announcement. They've had an outbreak, just like at UArizona. So their county health guy was either completely unaware of the Pac-12 meeting, or he coincidentally decided to jump the gun, get in front of the spotlight, and go beyond what Robbins has done here with students "sheltering in place" until 9/29, and somebody at CU said they'd postpone athletic prep for two weeks. All before the Pac-12 announcement. I see two options. First, back-tracking with a waiver for football because "our continuing discussions have reassured this office that appropriate protocols are now in place..." (and you know the rest.) Second, Colorado tries to get ready with less prep time than its competitors or forfeits/delays it's first two games. It's important to note that there WILL be an on-going issue of local individuals making decisions to get in front of the cameras as the numbers ebb and flow throughout the season.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

prh

Post by prh »

:lol: @ Utah thinking they'd go to the Big12
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

prh wrote::lol: @ Utah thinking they'd go to the Big12
If Utah made this threat out loud, we should throw them out.
prh

Post by prh »

SCCats wrote:
Agreed, although I still think the league should boot Colorado and take BYU

Utah spokesman vehemently denies they made this threat lol
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

prh wrote:
SCCats wrote:

BYU will never be admitted to the Pac-12 - it would never measure up to academic standards....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote:
prh wrote:
SCCats wrote:

BYU will never be admitted to the Pac-12 - it would never measure up to academic standards....
Along with not willing to play on Sunday.
prh

Post by prh »

pc in NM wrote:
prh wrote:
SCCats wrote:

I don't believe their academics are really much worse than asu.

The whole Sunday thing is incredibly overblown. Make BYU relevant on a national level (which is what we did for Utah, at times), and the league would instantly have a much broader television market.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

prh wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
prh wrote:
SCCats wrote:

The whole Sunday thing is incredibly overblown. Make BYU relevant on a national level (which is what we did for Utah, at times), and the league would instantly have a much broader television market.
As noted at the time
The argument against BYU is threefold:

First, as a religion-based institution, it would not be a good “fit” with the Pac-10 and its notoriously liberal schools such as Stanford, Cal, and the entire state of Oregon.

Second, it is not a research institution.

Third, the Mormon religion has been politically active, especially against gay marriage, giving the pooh-bahs of the Pac-10 a queasy feeling in their tummy—political activism, can’t have that!

Additional points are cited that the LDS is patriarchal, conservative, traditional, and as such just wouldn’t—um, ya know—fit with those west-coasters.

Interesting—athletic performance is never mentioned.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/398 ... rimination" target="_blank
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SDSU would be a better fit, but not being a research institution kills that chance. Good football and basketball programs.

WSU is ranked 176th nationally by US News. BYU is 80th. WSU also has the worst facilities in the PAC.

However, between Mike Price and the Pirate, Wazzu had some very good football seasons.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I always thought UNLV and Nevada would be better fits. Plus that hole in the map drives my OCD crazy.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UNLV used to be a Tier IV school academically although I think they did move up to Tier III.

Maybe not, ranked 258th. No way the campus presidents would allow that.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/unlv-2569" target="_blank
prh

Post by prh »

pc in NM wrote:
prh wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
prh wrote:
SCCats wrote:

As noted at the time
The argument against BYU is threefold:

First, as a religion-based institution, it would not be a good “fit” with the Pac-10 and its notoriously liberal schools such as Stanford, Cal, and the entire state of Oregon.

Second, it is not a research institution.

Third, the Mormon religion has been politically active, especially against gay marriage, giving the pooh-bahs of the Pac-10 a queasy feeling in their tummy—political activism, can’t have that!

Additional points are cited that the LDS is patriarchal, conservative, traditional, and as such just wouldn’t—um, ya know—fit with those west-coasters.

Interesting—athletic performance is never mentioned.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/398 ... rimination" target="_blank
That's a decent article and is more of why it's silly to not consider BYU. But one additional thing: we added Utah, which having lived a mile from campus, I can vouch is basically the same as BYU, except in an unofficial manner.

My biggest reasons that BYU makes more sense than Colorado specifically are 1. we grabbed Colorado to get midwestern eyeballs, that failed. and 2. the entire conference is built on travel partners, and Utah/BYU makes far more sense than Utah/Colorado
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote: My biggest reasons that BYU makes more sense than Colorado specifically are 1. we grabbed Colorado to get midwestern eyeballs, that failed. and 2. the entire conference is built on travel partners, and Utah/BYU makes far more sense than Utah/Colorado
We grabbed Colorado to grab the Denver market along with the fact it's an AAU school that's very highly ranked in academics and geographically makes all the sense in the world for the conference. I doubt any one thought we'd be grabbing the "midwest" by grabbing Colorado.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:UNLV used to be a Tier IV school academically although I think they did move up to Tier III.

Maybe not, ranked 258th. No way the campus presidents would allow that.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/unlv-2569" target="_blank
I stopped giving a damn about academics and off the field stuff with college and pro sports a long time ago.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

prh wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Yeah I bet. It would’ve been funny to see them pedal the fuck out of that backtracking bicycle.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote: My biggest reasons that BYU makes more sense than Colorado specifically are 1. we grabbed Colorado to get midwestern eyeballs, that failed. and 2. the entire conference is built on travel partners, and Utah/BYU makes far more sense than Utah/Colorado
We grabbed Colorado to grab the Denver market along with the fact it's an AAU school that's very highly ranked in academics and geographically makes all the sense in the world for the conference. I doubt any one thought we'd be grabbing the "midwest" by grabbing Colorado.
Also makes for a great road trip. You get fall color from the leaves changing, there's a creek running through their campus, and Pearl Street has all kinds of bars and restaurants, including a pretty good German beer hall. I think the whole Ralphie thing is a little overrated, but it's unique. I'd love to dump Utah for San Diego St, but I doubt that'll ever happen.
Robert A Booey

Post by Robert A Booey »

Watching the Schooler brothers make a lot of plays in this Texas game.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCatInTheHat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Also makes for a great road trip. You get fall color from the leaves changing, there's a creek running through their campus, and Pearl Street has all kinds of bars and restaurants, including a pretty good German beer hall. I think the whole Ralphie thing is a little overrated, but it's unique. I'd love to dump Utah for San Diego St, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Does Colorado only have 3.2 beer? When I was in Colorado Springs in the late 1970's you could drink 3.2 beer at age 18, and hard liquor at 21. That was obviously before the Feds made all the states raise the drinking age to 21. It was 19 in AZ when I was at the UA.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
TheCatInTheHat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Does Colorado only have 3.2 beer? When I was in Colorado Springs in the late 1970's you could drink 3.2 beer at age 18, and hard liquor at 21. That was obviously before the Feds made all the states raise the drinking age to 21. It was 19 in AZ when I was at the UA.
3.2 beer went away here in Colorado on January 1, 2019. Now grocery stores can sell full-strength beer and wine.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/prohibition ... ry-stores/" target="_blank

Someone told me that nobody is making 3.2 beer anymore because Utah was the only state left that wanted it and it wasn't worth it to any breweries to make it for one state.
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

This place?

https://www.bohemianbiergarten.com/

I went there back in February. Not bad. Got a Bear Down as soon as I walked in the door in my UofA hoodie.
-JB
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Anyone remember the post by Winger where he mathematically proved the SEC’s RPI was inflated by only playing 8 games in conference? Anyone have a link to it?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:Notre Dame is cancelling their next game. They had 7 positive Covid tests yesterday.
Notes Dame has 18 new cases.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
TheCatInTheHat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

This place?

https://www.bohemianbiergarten.com/

I went there back in February. Not bad. Got a Bear Down as soon as I walked in the door in my UofA hoodie.
Yup. That'd be the one. Pretty good German food and the mega-steins of Spaten or whatever.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well, at least the UA offense will be well rested with all the time the D will be on the field.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why now?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:Why now?
-JB
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Sumlin is running out of bodies fast.

I'm not sure how we intend to switch to a 3-4 defense without any linebackers. Given that we actually have a few extra defensive lineman this year I wonder if the coaches might consider running a 4-2-5 (this year only) to cover up for the lack of LB's
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

At least the O has some skilled bodies left.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

It's all good news. I can't fault the kids, and obviously very sorry for Laie's personal situation. You can say they were waiting for more data, but the Pac-12 seemingly gave too much weight to a subset of "influencers" and pulled the trigger too quickly, rather than wait a few more weeks. Don't know if we'd have kept the Schoolers or Fields, as they were driven by other college enrollment dates to ensure they'd play. But, the chance that the Pac-12 would play might have kept one or more here. I'm still not crazy about the "all or nothing" approach. If your school is in an area with an outbreak, then fine; no fans and maybe no games. But otherwise, why not allow fans with appropriate protocols in place? We've been playing college football for a few weeks now, and to date I don't recall outbreaks stemming from the grandstands of a football stadium. There's been some discussion that fan attendance might happen later in the season, but I'll guess it'll be another case of all or nothing, so one outbreak in Pullman stops fans from going to a game in Tucson. Ah well...at least there are lots of sports on TV now, which is a big improvement from the situation from March through June.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Helicopter dad
-JB
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Our crossover game is at Washington.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

All PAC games will be on ABC, ESPN networks, or FOX networks. No games will be on the PAC-12 network.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

@ Utah
USC
@ Washington
@ UCLA
Colorado
ASU
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:All PAC games will be on ABC, ESPN networks, or FOX networks. No games will be on the PAC-12 network.
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azgreg wrote:@ Utah
USC
@ Washington
@ UCLA
Colorado
ASU
Thought it was going to be a 7 game season?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:
USC
@ Washington
@ UCLA
Colorado
ASU
The 7th game will be 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
USC
@ Washington
@ UCLA
Colorado
ASU
The 7th game will be 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc.
So for us, 6 vs. 6
-JB
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What's the point of that?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:What's the point of that?
None for the bottom 3 or 4 teams, but the top 2 or 3 games should be pretty good.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:What's the point of that?
They only have time for 7 games. They want a championship game for a slight chance at the CFP. How do you propose the other 10 schools schedule their 7th game when you don't know who those schools will be until after the first 6 games?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Over/under on games actually played? Won't have time to make up any skipped games if a team has a Covid-19 breakout. Or the entire season being canceled?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I highly doubt the whole "season" happens.