The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Post by dmjcat »

BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Seniors can come back and not effect scholarship totals because of covid. Don't want the incoming freshman to be screwed
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:00 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:46 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:16 am
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:18 am
97cats wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:26 pm first game action ive watched all year

#31 is tough - has potential

He'll only be playing for Arizona for two more months so that potential won't help us much. (grad transfer, Choo said he most likely will be gone despite being allowed one more year by NCAA COVID rules)
The self-imposed ban likely changed that. He may still decide to just go pro, but the odds of him coming back are much higher now than they were before, ditto with Ira.
Damn, are we going to have like 25 players next year?
Hopefully the IARP doesn't take away a bunch of schollies.
I said what I said and I mean it.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Aren’t we over by one even if you don’t factor in Lee or Brown?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:16 pm Aren’t we over by one even if you don’t factor in Lee or Brown?
Yes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is the lack of postgame chatter just due to waning interest in this season’s outcomes, or...?

I couldn’t see the game, but it sounds like we hung in there and played much better than we did vs. USC. So maybe the game wasn’t a total loss? Not sure.

Akinjo had a great game. Hopefully Baker’s injury isn’t too serious.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:10 pm Is the lack of postgame chatter just due to waning interest in this season’s outcomes, or...?

I couldn’t see the game, but it sounds like we hung in there and played much better than we did vs. USC. So maybe the game wasn’t a total loss? Not sure.

You jinxed the whole weekend by predicting a sweep.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:26 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:10 pm Is the lack of postgame chatter just due to waning interest in this season’s outcomes, or...?

You jinxed the whole weekend by predicting a sweep.
Yep, guess so.

At the time, I really believed it. Trying to stay positive despite the circumstances.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Maybe. I don't see how anyone can be positive about the direction of this once great program. It was legitimately a top ten powerhouse basketball program for decades, and now, it is just another mediocre program with a great past. It isn't as if USC and UCLA are great teams this year. There was a time when Arizona would have defeated unranked USC and UCLA squads at home very convincingly. Couple that with frequent recruiting misses (recruits are now consistently picking programs with lower reputations over Arizona) and there is little reason to think Arizona will be back as a top ten program and a true contender in the near future. For whatever reason, the FBI/NCAA mess has impacted Arizona far more than the other implicated programs. If people want to jump in with the "time to fire Miller" rhetoric, fine, but is there any indication that a notable name coach will want to touch this program right now? Somehow Louisville landed Mack in the middle of this firestorm, but it doesn't seem like Arizona would be able to land a similar level coach at this point. It is all very discouraging.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I would point out that we did have 3 guys drafted from last season, so I’m not sure it’s a decline in recruiting levels as much as the style of recruits.

For whatever reason, this class has a lot of foreigners whom may not be 5 stars but the team has a lot of talent.
I believe they said AZ Tube was the highest rated euro that went to NCAA.
J. Brown and Akinjo were petty highly rated coming out of high school.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:55 pm
Postmaster wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:16 pm Aren’t we over by one even if you don’t factor in Lee or Brown?
Yes.
Is the consensus that the other Tubelis will lose his scholly or does Miller think someone will leave?

I would guess that if it’s the Tubelis situation, that was agreed upon long ago.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Those are probably factors. Football and basketball don't have a ton of posts around here outside politics unless we have a coaching search, it feels like.

This team still has a lot of talent, but the defense isn't at a level it needs to be. Both USC and UCLA got points fairly easily.

We're committed to the two year plan with this group, and I feel we're seeing D is what needs to improve the most by a fairly significant margin.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:52 am

Those are probably factors. Football and basketball don't have a ton of posts around here outside politics unless we have a coaching search, it feels like.

This team still has a lot of talent, but the defense isn't at a level it needs to be. Both USC and UCLA got points fairly easily.

We're committed to the two year plan with this group, and I feel we're seeing D is what needs to improve the most by a fairly significant margin.
I am hoping 2 seasons down the road we see this:

Akinjo- 5 year Senior
Krissa- 3 year Soph
Mathurin- 3 year Soph **might only be here 1 or 2 seasons
Terry- 3 year Soph
Tubelis- 3 year Soph **might only be here 1 or 2 seasons
Koloko- 4 year Junior
Simpson- Soph
Dezonie- Soph
Nowell- Soph
Gorener- 3 year Soph
Batcho- 3 year Soph

Insert highly rated recruit(s) for 2022 class.

Next year is looking promising, but the following year we should have a really solid amount of returning talent. Depending on 2022 class, and who leaves/transfers early...we could have a monster team for the 22/23 season.

Goals would be
S16/E8 for 21/22
F4/NC for 22/23
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:09 pm I would point out that we did have 3 guys drafted from last season, so I’m not sure it’s a decline in recruiting levels as much as the style of recruits.

For whatever reason, this class has a lot of foreigners whom may not be 5 stars but the team has a lot of talent.
I believe they said AZ Tube was the highest rated euro that went to NCAA.
J. Brown and Akinjo were petty highly rated coming out of high school.
This seems like a transitional year driven by that recruiting change. We seem to have abandoned the reload with 5 stars approach given this year's class and next year's.

The upside is you hope to create stability and year to year growth. The downside, it looks rougher in the beginning. I feel like that's where we are. You can see talent, but no one's there yet.

Frankly, I wonder if the tourney ban isn't having some effect. Our defensive issues aren't just rotations, we're just struggling on ball to stop guys 1 on 1. It seems like the edge and sharpness isn't there like it was.

I don't know how you avoid that, but job 1 on D for me right now would be how to stop giving up straight line drives.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

This is a transition year, with a lot of younger guys that are not expected nor should be one-and-done types. We are also missing Kerisa and Batchko. Two of the top rated Euro players. But they are at least with the team and bonding, and with Kerisa, he's practicing and could play in a few weeks. Even before the self-tourney ban, this team looked like a bubble team with a Sweet 16 ceiling. And not because of lack of talent, but so many new pieces that needed to learn how to play together. Throw in COVID, which lessened the number of practices and games, and should anyone be surprised that the team is struggling a little? I'm not.

Great thing about the team is not will the core be back next year, just about everyone could and should be back. We'll be a year older, quicker, and stronger, and have played a season of games together. I hope most these guys stick around during the summer and play together. Next year, we should be back on top of the PAC, and a tourney lock, assuming we aren't hit with any more penalties.

This year is a reboot, and frankly, we're playing better than I expected.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:14 am

Akinjo- 5 year Senior
Krissa- 3 year Soph
Terry- 3 year Soph
Koloko- 4 year Junior
Simpson- Soph
Dezonie- Soph
Nowell- Soph
Gorener- 3 year Soph
Batcho- 3 year Soph

Next year is looking promising, but the following year we should have a really solid amount of returning talent. Depending on 2022 class, and who leaves/transfers early...we could have a monster team for the 22/23 season.

Goals would be
S16/E8 for 21/22
F4/NC for 22/23
I'm not even sure we need to alter the multiyear approach for 2022.

Right now, I feel like guys with significant pro potential include Mathurin, Tubelis, J. Brown, Koloko and Terry. Simpson has pro potential in next year's class, and maybe I add Kriisa to that list when I see him play.

Akinjo, Baker, Nowell, Dezonie, Batcho, Goerner and potentially Ira and T. Brown if they returned, those guys are all either solid college players already or have potential to be solid rotation guys.

I think if you retain those guys and add in 2022 recruits that are similarly guys with potential who need a year or two, we're just fine. Maybe a traditional transfer with upside in the mix. But bottom line, the better days seem like they're ahead, and when a foundation is laid, there's less need for instant impact guys.

We just cycled through three straight years where the cupboard was relatively bare in terms of returning contributors. I'm hoping to see that change.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

midnightx wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:24 pm
Maybe. I don't see how anyone can be positive about the direction of this once great program. It was legitimately a top ten powerhouse basketball program for decades, and now, it is just another mediocre program with a great past. It isn't as if USC and UCLA are great teams this year. There was a time when Arizona would have defeated unranked USC and UCLA squads at home very convincingly. Couple that with frequent recruiting misses (recruits are now consistently picking programs with lower reputations over Arizona) and there is little reason to think Arizona will be back as a top ten program and a true contender in the near future. For whatever reason, the FBI/NCAA mess has impacted Arizona far more than the other implicated programs. If people want to jump in with the "time to fire Miller" rhetoric, fine, but is there any indication that a notable name coach will want to touch this program right now? Somehow Louisville landed Mack in the middle of this firestorm, but it doesn't seem like Arizona would be able to land a similar level coach at this point. It is all very discouraging.
Man. Depressing post, midnight. But I find little to disagree with.

More and more I'm just realizing how spoiled I was by Lute Olson. What he was able to do, consistently, over a 20+ year period, is why he's a HOFer, and also possibly why anything short of yearly top three Pac finishes and deep tourney runs every few years feels so disappointing. We are nowhere near the level Lute had us at, even though Sean did string together some outstanding seasons in his first 6-7 years as our coach. Sean catches a ton of flak around here, for a variety of reasons, some of it deserved, but the guy has hung some banners in McKale, and he's done a lot better than other coaches might've done for us. So I want to give credit where due.

Still, we're in a bad spot. I don't know if renewing Sean's contract for 5 years is the best move, but I'm also nervous about the difficulty of finding a top-flight replacement. Look at what UCLA went through. It's worked out for them, but Cronin was probably their fourth choice.

Anyway, I like this roster much more than what we've had the last few years, and I hope these guys stick around. It's a tough pill to get swept on any homestand, especially by two unranked teams. But as others have noted, we don't even have Kriisa yet, and we're a super young team. Gotta be patient.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:20 am
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:14 am

Akinjo- 5 year Senior
Krissa- 3 year Soph
Terry- 3 year Soph
Koloko- 4 year Junior
Simpson- Soph
Dezonie- Soph
Nowell- Soph
Gorener- 3 year Soph
Batcho- 3 year Soph

Goals would be
S16/E8 for 21/22
F4/NC for 22/23
I'm not even sure we need to alter the multiyear approach for 2022.

Right now, I feel like guys with significant pro potential include Mathurin, Tubelis, J. Brown, Koloko and Terry. Simpson has pro potential in next year's class, and maybe I add Kriisa to that list when I see him play.

Akinjo, Baker, Nowell, Dezonie, Batcho, Goerner and potentially Ira and T. Brown if they returned, those guys are all either solid college players already or have potential to be solid rotation guys.

I think if you retain those guys and add in 2022 recruits that are similarly guys with potential who need a year or two, we're just fine. Maybe a traditional transfer with upside in the mix. But bottom line, the better days seem like they're ahead, and when a foundation is laid, there's less need for instant impact guys.

We just cycled through three straight years where the cupboard was relatively bare in terms of returning contributors. I'm hoping to see that change.
Yeah, I’m talking top 15-30 player that can have instant impact off the bench or might compete for starter minutes. However, mixing in a one and done type player every year or 2 wouldn’t hurt either. We just don’t need a team full of players who think they’re ready for the pros early (whether they are or not).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Any update on Baker's hand?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:14 pm Any update on Baker's hand?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Ugh, poor Baker. See you next year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

When do we get Kerr? First week of February if I remember correctly
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:47 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:14 pm Any update on Baker's hand?
Well that sucks. Get better Jemarl.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:51 pm When do we get Kerr? First week of February if I remember correctly
February 6. Terrell should pick up the lion's share until then.

Although this is a good chance for Terry and Mathurin to eat up some minutes. Terry really has been in a funk lately.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Waning interest is the result of a waning program that's been in steady decline for over five years (roughly). And during this decline we've been surpassed by several programs in the west in success as well as recruiting. We've become another UNLV type program; once great and now basically irrelevant. I don't see this changing any time soon as we continue to flounder while other programs such as Gonzaga, Oregon, UCLA, and San Diego State continue to have success with better coaching and recruiting. Arizona just doesn't have the allure to potential recruits it once had. Couple this with the whole FBI/NCAA kerfuffle and fan interest declines. People are losing interest because the product isn't really something worth investing interest in. To top it off we have an overpaid coach we basically can't afford to dump thanks to the Sumlin debacle. There's simply nothing to be optimistic about and people are getting tired of it, myself included.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Captain Obvious wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:52 pmThere's simply nothing to be optimistic about and people are getting tired of it, myself included.
Don't be modest, you've been negative at minim since you came here.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

So starters will be?
Akinjo
T. Brown
Mathurin
A Tubelis
Koloko
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I'm guessing I watched the two worst games of the year, you know the only ones that weren't on the shitty Pac-12 network, but it appears we are just mediocre. Maybe we are a year a way, but I don't like the continued mediocre results by the basketball program. I'm at the point where Miller gets 1 more year to prove he can turn this around, if it doesn't happen, I will be done with him.
prh

Post by prh »

Captain Obvious wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:52 pm people are getting tired of myself.
You're right. Get lost troll
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:09 pm So starters will be?
Akinjo
T. Brown
Mathurin
A Tubelis
Koloko
Yep, lots of good stuff here on why: https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... eTMeC_0tBI
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:08 pm
Postmaster wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:09 pm So starters will be?
Akinjo
T. Brown
Mathurin
A Tubelis
Koloko
Yep, lots of good stuff here on why: https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... eTMeC_0tBI
I see on that site that Trier got drafted by G league and Brandon Williams did not.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:24 pm I see on that site that Trier got drafted by G league and Brandon Williams did not.

I was just thinking about that earlier. If we coulda/woulda/shoulda, wonder if the UA and BW could have worked things out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:51 pm
Postmaster wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:24 pm I see on that site that Trier got drafted by G league and Brandon Williams did not.
I was just thinking about that earlier. If we coulda/woulda/shoulda, wonder if the UA and BW could have worked things out.
It doesn't appear he's played at all since leaving, so do we even know he's healthy enough?

It's always seemed it reached a point he didn't have much left in his knee and wanted to spend that time making money.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He was working out and playing 5-on-5 according to his Instagram.

I just don’t think UA wanted to be liable if his knee gave out completely.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:01 pm
Great line up change, love it.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I worry about not getting a bump from the bench. Not a big worry.
Hope terry can find a way to score.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:22 am I worry about not getting a bump from the bench. Not a big worry.
I think one of either Akinjo or Terrell will be on the court the entire game, that along with Jordan Brown is where the points will come from.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:22 am I worry about not getting a bump from the bench. Not a big worry.
Like Luke used to say, it's not who is out there starting, but who is out there in crunch time.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:52 pm

Waning interest is the result of a waning program that's been in steady decline for over five years (roughly). And during this decline we've been surpassed by several programs in the west in success as well as recruiting. We've become another UNLV type program; once great and now basically irrelevant. I don't see this changing any time soon as we continue to flounder while other programs such as Gonzaga, Oregon, UCLA, and San Diego State continue to have success with better coaching and recruiting. Arizona just doesn't have the allure to potential recruits it once had. Couple this with the whole FBI/NCAA kerfuffle and fan interest declines. People are losing interest because the product isn't really something worth investing interest in. To top it off we have an overpaid coach we basically can't afford to dump thanks to the Sumlin debacle. There's simply nothing to be optimistic about and people are getting tired of it, myself included.
So exactly where did we rank in PAC-12 recruiting? After lineup changes how many underclassman are we going to start? We will see what the future holds but they look better today then at the beginning of the year when they were winning.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:28 am
I think one of either Akinjo or Terrell will be on the court the entire game, that along with Jordan Brown is where the points will come from.
Tubelis's recent games show he can do that too. Mathurin as well.

Honestly, I have no worries on offense. Defense is where we're currently falling quite short.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We'll see what happens.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:14 pm We'll see what happens.

Saves Arizona from another loss. Remember the days when Oregon was almost a guaranteed win?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

They didn't want to lose at home to us, that's fine, whatevs, altman saw our lineup change and got scared and gave the guys money for the strip club I guess.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:58 am As of today:
RPI-44
BPI-36
AP- 31
Coaches- NR (48 teams receiving votes)
NET- 21
KenPom-28
after getting swept at home by LA schools

RPI-79
BPI-46
AP- NR (46 teams receiving votes)
NET- 39
KenPom-42
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:35 am They didn't want to lose at home to us, that's fine, whatevs, altman saw our lineup change and got scared and gave the guys money for the strip club I guess.
Agreed. Ducks are clearly scared.

They only considered playing this game in the first place because Dylan Smith had graduated and they no longer had him to fear.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:54 am
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:58 am As of today:
RPI-44
BPI-36
AP- 31
Coaches- NR (48 teams receiving votes)
NET- 21
KenPom-28
after getting swept at home by LA schools

RPI-79
BPI-46
AP- NR (46 teams receiving votes)
NET- 39
KenPom-42
Haha yeah.

If I want to watch some rpi 40 college basketball, I know when and where to do it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hey, at least we're getting closer to Kriisa's debut. Maybe he'll be Luka from day one.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

All the credit in the world to Arizona Football and Men's and Women's Basketball for how they have handled covid

This team has had a frustrating last few games but the vision and talent are there for the long term (2021-2022 and 2022-2023 seasons) and I look forward to seeing this play out. Hopefully Miller is extended soon
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:12 pm Hey, at least we're getting closer to Kriisa's debut. Maybe he'll be Luka from day one.
He won't be Luka, but he should be a solid ballhandler, distributor and shooter. His biggest issue is getting his body ready for this level, so hopefully he's spent his time away in the weight room.

His potential is to be the guy we hoped Barcello would be faster than Barcello would have.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My impression has been that Kriisa has a higher ceiling than Barcello, perhaps a much higher ceiling.

Hopefully he'll just give us another solid guard option as we head into the final stretch of the season.