Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:18 pm I'm going to be honest, there are people on this site who have said that Lloyd was all but officially hired...that it was in the bag and would probably be announced on Monday...now am I reading this correctly that Lloyd is possibly NOT coming?

Either we have bad sources or a really bad Prez or both...

If it WAS in the bag and Robbins or Heeke screwed the pooch then hopefully we end up putting one or both of those asshats on the chopping block...because frankly f**king up something that was greased and ready to go regarding the Mens BB program is worse than Michael kissing Fredo and telling him "You broke my heart"...its just a matter of time.
It’s the prez.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I honestly hope this is some kind misdirection or smokescreen to appease alumni and fans who desperately and annoyingly want an alumni ... ie: Damon

Hope even more so this isn't Brennan 2.0
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ekat

Post by ekat »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:18 pm I'm going to be honest, there are people on this site who have said that Lloyd was all but officially hired...that it was in the bag and would probably be announced on Monday...now am I reading this correctly that Lloyd is possibly NOT coming?

If it WAS in the bag and Robbins or Heeke screwed the pooch then hopefully we end up putting one or both of those asshats on the chopping block...because frankly f**king up something that was greased and ready to go regarding the Mens BB program is worse than Michael kissing Fredo and telling him "You broke my heart"...its just a matter of time.
Remember when it was Ken N then all of a sudden it was Sumlin? OR, when it was Brennan or Ken N, but we got Jedd Fisch? There’s a pattern here...
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

I'm so saving that
I said what I said and I mean it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Frybry02 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:57 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:55 pm It’s almost as if everyone forgot the coaching search of 2009.
When I Robbins fired Miller, I figured they had a plan.

I am an idiot for figuring.
They had a plan that they decided to fuck with
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

I was going through the GU boards and someone posted this morning that nothing had changed. Was also saying this deal was supposedly already done. So whatever happened is because of dumb And dumber
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Here is what is so insane about Robbins just pulled today:
-In any other world Lloyd would be under qualified to take this job but we all bought in because, well you know.
-So you completely screwed over a loyal, and very good, head coach in Miller because you had "this plan" in place for months. You lied to everyone, mislead players, fans, boosters, etc.
-But we were all willing to overlook that because Lloyd is well thought of, would keep the coaching staff, a few of the boosters bought in, and we could keep the bulk of the current roster.
-Then Robbins all of sudden gets cold feet at the last minute of this 5 month "plan.
-Now you have pissed off one of the good guys in college basketball. You have mislead him and his family for months. Coaches know each other and talk to each other. You have now screwed over 2 of the coaches very tied into the coaching fraternity network.
-You give Gonzaga an amazing PR and recruiting win with the narrative that their assistant coach didn't even want to coach at Arizona.
-You will now potentially lose the coaching staff and the current roster.
-You have pissed off the alumni with this "fake coaching search".
-The boosters who helped facilitate this Lloyd to Arizona "plan" are now gone forever.
-Recruiting rivals will point to the "mess" that is Arizona Basketball
-Our current players are open season to poachers across college basketball.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

So basically the whole program has been destroyed.

Fun times we're in for.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:17 pm Fucking panic.
Nah.... no panic.

I truly believe that we will get the coach that fine upstanding people like Bobby Robbins and Dave Heeke are worthy of.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So Lloyd to AZ is dead?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Not dead yet but not as a lock as it was.
Dave

Post by Dave »

My best guess on the mystery candidate. Scott Drew, Mark Few, Tony Bennett, Jay Wright, Tom Izzo, or Dana Altman. :lol:
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:17 pm Fucking panic.

Taking a fucking risk and pissing off the guy you’ve been fluffing for months now. Genius.
who are we even entertaining right now? is it someone completely out of our league?
Dave

Post by Dave »

It's probably someone using us to get a raise.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Muss
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:20 pm

It’s the prez.
The automatics here are Stoudamire and Simon. Both would take the job in a heartbeat. And frankly, neither are worthy yet of being handed the reins of the program.

And frankly, Lloyd should be crawling on his hands and knees from Spokane to be the head coach at Arizona. And if he's the least bit gun shy -- then fuck him because he's a pussy and not worthy of the position. None of this, "let me sleep on it" bullshit. If you need a minute to contemplate whether to leave the job security of an assistant position or take one of the premiere head coaching positions on the West coast -- then you're not worthy of the job.

So I really don't understand why this whole situation last more than two seconds after Miller was fired.

Interview process? Please! Every candidate should have been vetted weeks ago by the over-priced search firm. There's nothing to discuss really.

You either know exactly who you want to hire or you don't. And if you're not sure -- you don't fuck around with the flagship program in your Athletic Department and fire a successful coach and "hope" you can find someone else. This is fucking amateur hour right now.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I wonder if some of this smoke and mirrors because TOS said it was a done deal and some leaking wound is trying to cover their ass?

Az has always had an issue leaking like a rusted swamp cooler in mid july...you know there's a leak it just dries up so damn fast its hard to find.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Robbins is getting absolutely played.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Either Jason is getting played, or Robbins or ever-frickin-body...
eoe

Post by eoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:32 pm Robbins is getting absolutely played.
This is what I think as well...
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:32 pm Robbins is getting absolutely played.
Almost like a University President shouldn't be running a coaching search or something.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 pm
Almost like a University President shouldn't be running a coaching search or something.
When something too good to be true falls into your lap this close to the end of the process it’s always because it is too good to be true and you’re being used.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It’s also because someone wants a raise and is using you and you are too stupid to realize it
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
BeardownZonaZona

Leave it to Robbins to allow Muss to mess our coaching search up so he can try to get a fat extention from Arkansas. What a joke. I miss the days when the president didn't get involved in athletics
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Love how everyone was tired of off the court drama. Just fire Miller already, they said. Make it stop!

Lmao
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Bobbins probably thinks strippers really like him too.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Someone needs to get Robbins signed into this message board. The guy sounds like he needs some help.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Ya know what really burns? Even Dick Fuckface Vitale gets that Arizona should be negotiating from a position of strength. But no .........
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Maybe Lloyd didn't like the way Miller was treated and saw glimpse of the future of what can happen to him at some point.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

IrishAzCat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:03 pm Maybe Lloyd didn't like the way Miller was treated and saw glimpse of the future of what can happen to him at some point.
Lloyd is fully ready to take the job and it was communicated to him that it would finished yesterday. Robbins didn't offer and never contacted Lloyd today. This is all on Robbins.
eoe

Post by eoe »

UofAlum05 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:07 pm
IrishAzCat wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:03 pm Maybe Lloyd didn't like the way Miller was treated and saw glimpse of the future of what can happen to him at some point.
Lloyd is fully ready to take the job and it was communicated to him that it would finished yesterday. Robbins didn't offer and never contacted Lloyd today. This is all on Robbins.
Your prized marketing tool/jewel is facing serious sanctions and actually has a chance to make a splash perception-wise and THIS is your handling process?

Easy to fix, but so incredibly stupid and myopic.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Robbins thinks he's smart at this and is playing a game of checkers while the far more complicated world of college basketball is a chessboard.

How the fuck did this guy get through med school?
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

So Robbins got cold feet and led this guy to believe he got the job? Or he is dangling the carrot in front of him on some sort of power trip - If this is the case that is really messed up.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Maybe Muss offered Robbins a cut of his raise?
Get Schawblock on the story!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

So here are a couple of my thoughts. One is we hired a search firm right? We know that Terry, Miles and Damon have all been interviewed. How does this search firm conclude it has done its due diligence when you have Damon with drug convictions on his record, Miles sued the U of A and Terry committed an NCAA violation for taking money from an agent chosen as okay to interview? Does that strike anyone other than me as odd that at least one of them was not excluded?
We accepted Lloyd as a good candidate because although we love those other Wildcats they just have not been coaching long enough or their track record is not mature enough to take a chance on. The search firm felt they were worthy of an interview but fans don't? That seems odd on the surface. We hear chatter that Lloyd is a done deal and this has been going on for months (I don't believe that but whatever). Heeke tells us in an interview it will be "24/7" till we select a new coach. We have ABOR on Thursday and to me this needs to be completely wrapped up by Tuesday . All t's crossed and i dotted so you can have ABOR vote/approve it. Are they taking it to ABOR first? Never heard to that before.
I think the one thing about search firms is they have clients or interested parties that they have cultivated that they push. Is this what is happening? It appears we have entered the twilight zone with two Hitchcock idiots running the show. To me Lloyd was always going to be more difficult to get then people thought because he has a great job and not moving/making a decision is ALWAYS easier then taking a leap of faith. People don't like uncertainty and will seek and chose stability. Our own reaction as fans proves this out. The other huge component is TRUST. Who above him will have his back. He saw the price Miller paid and if this has been going on for months he knows that his direct reporting structure has been lying to Miller and the fans.
I do think this will be a done deal by Tuesday. Your new coach will be Shay Binnon.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

WTF happened? I decided to go to bed early and all shit breaks loose?

Please someone tell me this is a bad dream and I will wake up and Robbins and Heeke will be gone. I can't take too much more of this shit.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:54 pm Love how everyone was tired of off the court drama. Just fire Miller already, they said. Make it stop!

Lmao
Remember when they were looking for Ann Weaver Hart’s replacement and we all were desperate for a university president who understood the importance of athletics and would be hands on with the department?

Dear lord were we naive fools...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:32 am
Olsondogg wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:54 pm Love how everyone was tired of off the court drama. Just fire Miller already, they said. Make it stop!

Lmao
Remember when they were looking for Ann Weaver Hart’s replacement and we all were desperate for a university president who understood the importance of athletics and would be hands on with the department?

Dear lord were we naive fools...
The most shocking thing about aging and gaining wisdom as you age is the undeniable fact that we all are living life basically just winging it.

Including presidents of universities.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BeardownZonaZona

Leave it to this president to make every coaching search interesting. Just make the easy hire Bobbins. You got a guy who wants the job who I think would do a good job and you've been courting him for 3 months or so. Just give him the job.
BeardownZonaZona

azgreg wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:16 am
Wow. I've been aboard the muss bus for a while. That was the dude I wanted us to call. Still think we should just offer it to Tommy. It's so sickening the way Robbins treated CSM and is now treating Tommy. While I think Muss would be a grand slam hire and we'd win almost everything imaginable. I just don't see it happening.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Are Heeke and Robbins the new Ringling Brothers? Let me know when their circus is coming to my town.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Am I reading the tea leaves correctly-

Muss is about to get a nice raise, while we jeopardize the Lloyd hiring because we honestly thought we'd have a shot with Muss.
BeardownZonaZona

Alieberman wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:38 am Am I reading the tea leaves correctly-

Muss is about to get a nice raise, while we jeopardize the Lloyd hiring because we honestly thought we'd have a shot with Muss.
Ding Ding Ding!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Damn I hope not, but then again...

Any chance there's a push by boosters for an Arizona alum?
Dave

Post by Dave »

I am not buying the boosters wanting an alum rumors. The alum pool got pretty weak after Kerr and Walton publicly announced they were not interested.

I wouldn't even be tempted with Musselman. The guy has had 16 different coaching jobs in the last 30 years. He is always looking for greener pastures.