Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: Thoughts on who would be worth a try as new coach

Post by zonagrad »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:57 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 am
azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:49 am Pope strikes me as the guy who gives you a winning season every year. Challenges for the conference title every once in a while and gets a 5-9 seed every year.
This is how I see Pope vs Damon specifically. Both took over losing programs (I'm using Utah Valley here). I'd say Utah Valley and Pacific are comparable.

Damon had 3 sub .500 seasons, improved a lot in year 4, although not enough to get to a tourney, then returned to .500 in year 5.

Pope improved every single year at Utah Valley, ending with 23-11 and 25-10 seasons. His win% was .579 to Damon's .480. Then, Pope went on to two good seasons at BYU.

Pope's small school performance was better than Damon's, plus he has the BYU experience.
I don’t know much about Utah valley vs. pacific but I read that Damon took over a disaster.
University of the Pacific. Stockton, CA.
I'm not sure anyone can recruit there when you're going up against Gonzaga & BYU, which are head shoulders above the WCC and more attractive campuses like Pepperdine, San Francisco & USD.

Stoudamire's recruiting efforts are likely involving guys who are overlooked or missing some key skill -- they're certainly not top prospects. He'd be swimming in entirely different recruiting waters -- and I'm sure he'd be excited about that.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Don’t like this account..but this link is active. At least I can get behind this.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd rather not detail what informs me, but this president is protected on two fronts:

1 ABOR requires dollars coming in through donations (the potential chink in his armor) and enrollments while ensuring a scarcity mindset to control who’s on the payroll. A lot of that hinges on a funding model called RCM, which hurts students (and potentially risks parents) but serves ABOR’s requirements.

2 A pattern of hiring and promoting underqualified leadership dependent on protection from above, and therefore dependable in protecting who each reports to. And hiring expensive corporate firms that answer to him. This creates a bubble where the president gets nothing but positive support for his decisions. He’s also secured control of the Committee of Eleven (now in doubt with new election), which derailed a no confidence vote. So, he doesn’t feel much of the heat coming from all directions (alumns, faculty and staff, fans, the union, etc.). His lack of awareness is underscored by his continued optics by using what’s called a “handler” and making himself the face of the university, which university presidents generally don’t do (a Crow influence).

The other pattern is that he very frequently doesn’t have a plan, even when it’s called a “plan” (including even the Strategic Plan). He receives expert advice and wise council, but he ignores it in favor of ABOR and his own unreflective beliefs, gut instincts, and misplaced self confidence that’s repeatedly buttressed by his circle of dependents. You have to understand that this is a very unqualified person occupying a top administrative position, let alone carving out a kind of “super president” role of carrying out a myriad of tasks that presidents don’t generally do.

I don’t claim to know any of the details of this search. But based on other involvements, I basically know everything that’s happened, and it's exactly as it probably seems to you. A lack of logic and know-how needed to protect the institution is exactly what's missing, and employees are paying money out of their own pockets to try to correct the situation.

ABOR will remain happy with the situation as long as the money keeps coming in. It's up to the big donors who hold sway with ABOR.

It's still possible that a good hire happens in spite of the incompetence, too. Mostly because of a pig in a poke.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Welcome back LH. Stay for a while.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

thanks man!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:46 pm Welcome back LH. Stay for a while.
I think most of us would agree!
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

The thing about a petition to fire Robbins and Heeke is it really has no power to do so, but in todays climate of social media cultural appropriation, a negative social image can go a LONG way towards taming uncontrolled narcissistic tendencies into behavior that gets a better response for the masses...someone like Robins wants nothing but miles of smiles...he shares a common pattern so familiar to those of exposed to the political climate...he NEEDS praise...

Critique is the opposite of praise...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:51 pm The thing about a petition to fire Robbins and Heeke is it really has no power to do so, but in todays climate of social media cultural appropriation, a negative social image can go a LONG way towards taming uncontrolled narcissistic tendencies into behavior that gets a better response for the masses...someone like Robins wants nothing but miles of smiles...he shares a common pattern so familiar to those of exposed to the political climate...he NEEDS praise...

Critique is the opposite of praise...
I agree in large part. Cancel culture has its negatives, but the power of social media and mass public response has never been higher.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Noooooooooo!!!
-JB
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:59 am
Olsondogg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:56 am
azgreg wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:52 am Ask yourself a question: Who are the top two coaches each Arizona sport has had. How many of them were alums?
Adia is alone on an island.

I get what you are saying, but when you are served a shit sandwich, focus on finding the kernels of corn.
For me the only time the alumni card comes into play is as a tie breaker.
Same, it is very far down on my list of preferences
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Tad Boyle time baby
I said what I said and I mean it.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:19 pm Noooooooooo!!!
Lets throw out as many awful names as possible so that the hire we make looks better. Although I would argue Tad Boyle is overly qualified compared to some of the other candidates. I had definitely soured on Miller the past few years, but wow what a colossal fuck up this has become. At this point Jack Murphy as the interim coach seems to be the most appealing if Lloyd falls apart.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:36 pm Don’t like this account..but this link is active. At least I can get behind this.
Didn't PPU announce that Lloyd had signed 3 or 4 days ago?

PPU, like it's predecessor PGU, have no UA AD press credentials. If if wasn't for Book leaking info to Ace, they would never had any insight into the program.

I want nothing to do with PPU.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:23 pm Tad Boyle time baby
After his comments after beating us about how good it felt since we are cheaters, yeah, why not? Let that fuckface deal with the NCAA penalties. :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Bill Walton.

Grateful Dead opening video, tie dyed unis, incomprehensible press conferences, bringing his ESPN buddies to McKale.

The synergy between the Conference of Champions and the Administration of Idiots can’t be ignored.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:52 pm I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Bill Walton.

Grateful Dead opening video, tie dyed unis, incomprehensible press conferences, bringing his ESPN buddies to McKale.

The synergy between the Conference of Champions and the Administration of Idiots can’t be ignored.
Wrong Job - He needs to be hired as Pac-12 Commissioner...
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

All I can see in my head is Bill arguing a foul call with a ref like, "You can't possibly believe that? Please!" My man Bill would kill it, in pissing me off
I said what I said and I mean it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why not tinkle?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

At this point, the admin has no choice but to settle on Stoudamire and attempt to save face by hiring an alumni and program great.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:40 pm Why not tinkle?
I already did. It doesn't help me feel better and my wife gets mad when I miss the bowl.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Just signed an extension.
-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

How about Dixon or Matta?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

What did I miss while I was cooking dinner for the family?

We hire Furman’s equipment manager yet?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:15 pm How about Dixon or Matta?
Jaime Dixon? He's at his alma mater and has become mediocre. Matta just joined IU in a light duty role for his health, doubt he'll ever coach again.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:12 pm
Just signed an extension.
Buyout is only 1.5 mil
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:19 pm What did I miss while I was cooking dinner for the family?

He turned us down but used our offer to leverage a promotion to video assistant.

Not to worry. Siena’s assistant ball boy looks to be interested.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Plus, don’t Matta and Miller have close ties?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Anyone thinking they just let Murphy coach for a year?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:26 pm
Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:19 pm What did I miss while I was cooking dinner for the family?

He turned us down but used our offer to leverage a promotion to video assistant.

Not to worry. Siena’s assistant ball boy looks to be interested.
Ooooh, Robbins is playing 5D chess.

Postmaster wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:33 pm Anyone thinking they just let Murphy coach for a year?
That’s actually kind of what I’m hoping for at this point. Keep the staff intact. Keep all the promises made to the players. Then let’s see what he can do to win the job.

I mean, recruiting would be fucked, but it’s not like we’re locking down 2023 kids anyway.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I said to just keep Murphy for a year on day 1 when I first heard Lloyd was our guy.

I was then told how dumb that was and it wasn't an option
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

On Friday I saw Jack Murphy when I was on my bike outside McKale and said, "Good morning, Coach!" and he greeted me instantly, without even looking around for the coach in question.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:47 pm I said to just keep Murphy for a year on day 1 when I first heard Lloyd was our guy.

My hope was that they fired Miller despite telling everyone he was their guy and despite the timing being horrible, because they interviewed someone and was so blown away, they were like, we have to do it. I know it's crazy, but it's just too good to pass up.

When it seemed obvious Lloyd was the guy, then I was ready to get with it. If they thought he was so awesome they just had to fire Miller a year early and pull the trigger now, then cool. At least they had intention and commitment and enthusiasm about it.

But now it seems that wasn't the situation. It's not like they had a coach that was too good to not hire, it's just what it is, they fired Miller without a plan, at the worst time you can think of, after sabotaging the season with a useless self-inflicted, postseason ban.

So yeah, stop making it worse. Let Murphy run the shop for the time being and hire a coach in the future.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:47 pm I said to just keep Murphy for a year on day 1 when I first heard Lloyd was our guy.

I think people were saying “that would be so dumb if that was the plan”, but now that we’ve seen the actual plan, it sounds like a pretty good idea.

It’s all about perspective and timing.
Longhorned wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:52 pm On Friday I saw Jack Murphy when I was on my bike outside McKale and said, "Good morning, Coach!" and he greeted me instantly, without even looking around for the coach in question.
Good enough for me! He’s hired.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Was Murphy given an opportunity to interview for the position?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah I'm on board with Murphy as interim for a year.

What's the argument against it? The chance to offer someone else's assistant coach with no HC experience? The chance to offer a second rate head coach?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:12 pm Yeah I'm on board with Murphy as interim for a year.

What's the argument against it? The chance to offer someone else's assistant coach with no HC experience? The chance to offer a second rate head coach?
The argument against it comes from a difference in the ability to use reason and logic when making a decision.

Arizona had neither of both.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Apparently, I’m sending PM’s instead of quotes.

Fuck it, I’m cracking another.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

wyo-cat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:18 pm Apparently, I’m sending PM’s instead of quotes.

Fuck it, I’m cracking another.
You're not the only one.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:12 pm Yeah I'm on board with Murphy as interim for a year.

Fair question. I think it's just a ranking.

1. Keep Miller and let him try to save his job. You got a guy whose going to work his ass off to save his career, and honestly, he didn't even do anything wrong, technically.

2. Fire Miller because you got someone great, better than Miller, and this is a good needed change and it sucks for Miller if he's innocent, and he pretty much is, but he's also ultimately responsible, so fair enough. Buy this guy, he's Calipari. He's Tom Izzo. He's so good, we just have to go with it.

3. Fire Miller because you can't take it any more, and intentionally go with Murphy for a year. If this is the case, you probably should have done it in November, or at the end of the season, or something.

4. What seems to have happened/is happening. Say your keeping Miller. Then surprise fire him. Then announce a coaching search. Then don't hire anyone. Then settle for Murphy, while not directly staying that's the plan until media announces none of the coaches left are going to Arizona. Then a week later announce you're keeping Murphy for a year. Then surprise fire Murphy. Who knows.

Out of the possible scenarios I could come up with, this seems to be the least preferred. Announcing Murphy for next year is 3. 1 and 2 would have been better. If they shift from 4 to 3 it'll be embarrassing, but the sooner the better. I'm still holding out hope for 2, but it's not looking like they had a cant-miss-hire, it's looking like they don't know what they're doing.

Obviously there is still worse.

5. Hire someone risky out of fear, it sort of works.
6. Hire someone worse than horrible out of desperation and it's a disaster.

If they move from 4 to 3, that's better than 4 to 5 or 6. Totally agree.

But 3 seemed pretty lame when we still had hopes for 1 and 2.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

I think 50% of D1 HC and assistants are fine when it comes to the tactics and Xs Os of running a team. The issue is Jack couldn't retain the roster or attract good recruits. Even if Lloyd is average when it comes to actually coaching, he has enough name brand to probably keep about half our roster. Damon probably could keep 1 or 2 key players. Unless Jack really has a great pre-existing relationship, everyone will transfer out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It would deal a crushing blow to Robbins's ego. He'd rather sell any rando and hope the PR machine works. Murphy would make it clear he fired a good coach, had no plan and had to make something up.

He can at least act like Miles Simon or Matt Braase are up and coming alums to sell to low info fans.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

the longer this drags out and I should become more pessimistic... Fuck that, the longer it drags out I am going to believe Brad Stevens wants to be near his dad.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It's true. Prez's only real consideration is himself.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Anyone really know what it costs for a billboard? How about "Thank you Sean. We love you." with a pic of Sean and right underneath Fire Robbin's and Heeke his puppet" I'm serious anyone know how you get one, cost and how you get a particular location?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:32 pm Anyone really know what it costs for a billboard? How about "Thank you Sean. We love you." with a pic of Sean and right underneath Fire Robbin's and Heeke his puppet" I'm serious anyone know how you get one, cost and how you get a particular location?
Depends on where you want it. Viewability and the amount of traffic affect the cost.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

TheCat wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:32 pm Anyone really know what it costs for a billboard? How about "Thank you Sean. We love you." with a pic of Sean and right underneath Fire Robbin's and Heeke his puppet" I'm serious anyone know how you get one, cost and how you get a particular location?

https://www.blipbillboards.com/cost/

They let you set a budget. You can do like 5$/day or whatever.
ekat

Post by ekat »

I mean, if the assu fans could figure it out and afford their memorialization of the moment that led to Sumlin getting fired, it can’t be too hard or expensive, right?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What would really end the prez's reign in Tucson is if the alumni aligned themselves with the U of A employee union.
ekat

Post by ekat »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:00 pm What would really end the prez's reign in Tucson is if the alumni aligned themselves with the U of A employee union.
How can someone like me, just your regular alum, part of the alumni association, small-time donor, help make that happen?

Do you think he’s insulated enough that his contract will be extended? It expires next year, I think?

I just want to add, my anger with him isn’t solely about the mismanagement of the Athletic Department. It’s the campus wide poorly hidden nepotism, the mismanagement of funds that led to layoffs of friends of mine, and the list is too long to type. It’s not just Sean Miller for me.