Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by ASUHATER! »

I was with SD86 and it was great. I had the sea of Cortez shrimp with seafood broth and masa dumplings. My first time eating octopus too, one of the best dinners I've had.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Youse guys are making me hungry even while I'm eating.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:20 pm I was with SD86 and it was great. I had the sea of Cortez shrimp with seafood broth and masa dumplings. My first time eating octopus too, one of the best dinners I've had.

Their pulpo is brilliant. Now that you have a taste for it, check out El Berraco on First. I go with my brother in law and he hates pulpo, so I feast on it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The jamaica mole is something I'll dream about
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My new favorite YouTube cook is Sam The Cooking Guy.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Mahi Mahi and corn on the grill tonight.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We're getting El Pollo Loco.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

azgreg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:43 pm My new favorite YouTube cook is Sam The Cooking Guy.
He was my brother and sister-in-law's neighbor for a few years in DT SD. Hes a cool ass dude.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My old buddy and RA from Mohave dorm is in town so we are heading to El Charro.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Last night:

Some chonky dry scallops from AJ's with leek risotto and a brown butter lemon sauce.

Tonight:

Creamy garlic polenta with seared skirt steak. Then a pan sauce of home grown blistered tomatoes, green onions, home grown jalapeños, and garlic. Mounted with cold butter and finished with a couple splashes of soy sauce and lemon.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Been eating like a king on the Oregon coast and now Portland. Had a spicy Korean chicken sandwich at a place called Toki for lunch today. Best chicken sandwich I've ever had.

Dinner was at Momoyama in the Pearl District. Unreal level of food. Portland is where I can truly find true sanctuary in the food world for a city that's more my size and speed.

We had

An omakase plate with nigiri and a roll
Octopus carpaccio
Kobe beef skewers with truffle salt
Uni and salmon roe on a garlicky squid ink pasta
Braised pork belly
Broiled king crab with a spicy aioli
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Lemon garlic chicken on the grill with corn on the cob. Brined the chicken breasts for 20 hours, marinated in lemon, fresh garlic, and lime for 8 hours. Long hot grill flipping 4 times. With so much brining they're crispy on the outside and full of flavor and juicy tender inside. Our new fave.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Made this incredible lamb biryani tonight. One of the best things I've ever cooked. So, so good.

https://www.seriouseats.com/lamb-biryani
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bison short ribs with Gouda grits and roasted brussel sprouts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wait. Are you in NC eating Rack Slabbath?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:44 pm Made this incredible lamb biryani tonight. One of the best things I've ever cooked. So, so good.

https://www.seriouseats.com/lamb-biryani
Wow. I'm going to follow that recipe. One of my favorite foods. Rarely done well in restaurants.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:05 am Wait. Are you in NC eating Rack Slabbath?
No just found it amusing.
-JB
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I googled it. I need to have Carolina bbq in Carolina because I suspect all the Carolina bbq outside Carolina has nothing to do with Carolina bbq.

I've never even had a pulled pork I've actually liked.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

We'll probably have roadside armadillo tonight.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:16 am I googled it. I need to have Carolina bbq in Carolina because I suspect all the Carolina bbq outside Carolina has nothing to do with Carolina bbq.

I had picnic table roadside BBQ in Nags Head and it honestly wasn’t better than Fat Willy’s in Chicago. The sauce is obviously different but the tenderness and flavor of the meat was pretty comparable.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:04 am
Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:16 am I googled it. I need to have Carolina bbq in Carolina because I suspect all the Carolina bbq outside Carolina has nothing to do with Carolina bbq.

I had picnic table roadside BBQ in Nags Head and it honestly wasn’t better than Fat Willy’s in Chicago. The sauce is obviously different but the tenderness and flavor of the meat was pretty comparable.
Damn. I'll still hold out hope for the kind of bbq where it's these guys with whole hogs and oily barrels and pits dugs in their own yards not even serving the public.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have to say that the best pork I've ever made myself was a 6 lb shoulder from Forbes Meat Co in Tucson that I sous vide for 24 hours then smoked for 3 hours. It was absolutely incredible. Better than most BBQ joints I've been too.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Best brisket I’ve ever had was my next door neighbor’s.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 pm Best brisket I’ve ever had was my next door neighbor’s.
Does he know it was you who took his brisket?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:31 pm
Chicat wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 pm Best brisket I’ve ever had was my next door neighbor’s.
Does he know it was you who took his brisket?
The droplets of sauce and the shit-eating grin on my face gave it away.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Izzy’s deli in Santa Monica has one of the best brisket sandwiches I’ve ever had.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Made Charleston style shrimp and cheesy grits with bacon and andouille sausage tonight. My first time making grits. Was pretty darn good I must say.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

My drink for the summer: Ranch Water.

It’s juice of 1/2 a lime, a shot ish of Tequila Plata, currently Kirkland, ice and Topo Chico mineral water in a rocks glass.

It’s like a not so sweet marg. I’m digging them.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Made chicken souvlaki with pita and a greek salad yesterday, Kenji's amazing chicken tinga with beans tonight.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I am going on the Isagenix diet program this week. Expect my posts to be extra grumpy...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:20 am I am going on the Isagenix diet program this week. Expect my posts to be extra grumpy...
I’ve done their month long cleanse a couple times before. PM me if you have any questions.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Go get 'em ECC.

I don't know anything about Isagenix, but I will swear by psyllium husk. Talk about a cleanse. I do 12 mg three times a day at the start of meals. It creates a giant blob of gel in your digestive tract, absorbing and mopping your food and cholesterol into your colon, and then out of your pooper in a perfect, soft, enormous package that cleans out everything on the way down and out. And without any cholesterol in your digestive tract, your colon absorbs the LDL from your blood and sweeps that out, too.

You end up taking the most satisfying, enormous dump every morning and every night.

It will set you back about $14 a month, though.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ehhh… Isagenix is a “cleanse” like American Football is a game played with your feet. It’s more of a crash diet if you want immediate results or a weight maintenance system if you are in it for the long haul.

I won’t speak to its laxative benefits, but you do end up drinking a lot of water.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:26 am Go get 'em ECC.

I don't know anything about Isagenix, but I will swear by psyllium husk. Talk about a cleanse. I do 12 mg three times a day at the start of meals. It creates a giant blob of gel in your digestive tract, absorbing and mopping your food and cholesterol into your colon, and then out of your pooper in a perfect, soft, enormous package that cleans out everything on the way down and out. And without any cholesterol in your digestive tract, your colon absorbs the LDL from your blood and sweeps that out, too.

You end up taking the most satisfying, enormous dump every morning and every night.

It will set you back about $14 a month, though.
Thanks LH.

I have to admit I'm not sure if your post made me excited, confused or depressed. I'm mulling that over now...

:D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It really helps if you have a partner by the way. I did it alone both times and it was …… contentious.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Here's a weight loss diet I absolutely swear by: the eat more diet. You get to eat anything you want and as much of it as you want. The only rule is that you have to eat an apple before you eat what you want to eat, and you have to eat food for breakfast and lunch without any non-nutritious items (you eat whatever you want for dinner though). For example, breakfast has to be something like oatmeal, and lunch has to be something like beans and vegetables.

And when you get hungry between meals, you can eat a big slice of chocolate cake, as long as you eat an apple before the chocolate cake. After an apple, eating anything else loses its appeal, and you end up willingly moving on like skinny people do.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That’s actually brilliant.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just suspect I'm not alone when it comes to the psychology of restriction. If I don't tell myself that I can't eat what I want, days and weeks and months go by where I never feel like I'm fighting against my brain or my body. It's not a diet.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

That's the only way I've been able to successfully lose weight in the last 10 years. Still being able to eat what I want at least some of the time.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

At this point, I look lean and sinewy. It's not entirely attractive, like the old men in the bicycle gear at Whole Foods. But it's what I'm supposed to look like.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Can I have peanut butter with the apple?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm anticipating losing quite a bit of weight with a newborn in 5 weeks
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:06 pm Made chicken souvlaki with pita and a greek salad yesterday, Kenji's amazing chicken tinga with beans tonight.
These are two of my favorites - made souvlaki last week for friends and I usually make Kenji's tinga a couple of times a month and just keep it on hand in the fridge for an easy answer to "it's too late to cook a full meal, what should we eat??"
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:34 am At this point, I look lean and sinewy. It's not entirely attractive, like the old men in the bicycle gear at Whole Foods. But it's what I'm supposed to look like.
Wait, I resemble that remark
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:15 pm
scumdevils86 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:06 pm Made chicken souvlaki with pita and a greek salad yesterday, Kenji's amazing chicken tinga with beans tonight.
These are two of my favorites - made souvlaki last week for friends and I usually make Kenji's tinga a couple of times a month and just keep it on hand in the fridge for an easy answer to "it's too late to cook a full meal, what should we eat??"
I love Kenji and have made dozens of his recipes but they're typically not super well suited for a dinner that doesn't involve cooking all day. The tinga was different, super easy and simple ingredients.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:36 am It really helps if you have a partner by the way. I did it alone both times and it was …… contentious.
I'm doing it with Mrs. ECC. That puts another plot twist to this whole thing.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

scumdevils86 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:22 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:15 pm
I love Kenji and have made dozens of his recipes but they're typically not super well suited for a dinner that doesn't involve cooking all day. The tinga was different, super easy and simple ingredients.
Huge Kenji fan - my dad gifted me his cookbook years ago and it massively elevated my cooking. Reverse seared steaks, spatchcooked whole chickens, sous vide everything, home ground burgers, and just the addition of umami (via fish sauce, anchovy paste, and yes - MSG) to many meals... I'm a changed man.

I was out of work for a spell during COVID and spent a ton of time cooking so yeah, the all day nature of some of his meals worked for me lol. Alternatively, my friends love my cooking but never expect to be served before 8pm.

His website for anyone who wants to peruse.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

His YouTube channel is fun too
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:30 pm
Chicat wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:36 am It really helps if you have a partner by the way. I did it alone both times and it was …… contentious.
I'm doing it with Mrs. ECC. That puts another plot twist to this whole thing.
Nothing brings a couple together like projectile bowel movements.

~ Wilhoit's Law