The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Post by YoDeFoe »

TheCat wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:44 pm I think the voters watched but realized we are playing teams in the 300's. We don't know much or anything how this team will respond when pushed. I think us rated in the 30's-40's is where we have demonstrated right now. After we play real competition we will have a bead on how good we are and how good we are coached. I think the style of play so far will be attractive to recruits but only if we win. As always hopeful.
Arizona exceeded expectations in those games. Back to back domination of both sides of the floor. Obviously they were expected to do well but they did exceptionally well.

There are other teams of course that did not meet expectations. Maybe they didn’t lose, but they didn’t have control of the game or struggled on one side of the ball.

North Carolina moved up to 18th this week after they let Brown score 87. Houston is hanging at 15th after they needed OT to beat Hofstra.

If we weren’t performing, we’d certainly judge this team harshly. If we were fans of those teams we’d probably feel like we deserved to move down. I think if you’d have to take the blame you should get the credit.

It’s self serving today, but preseason polls should be more fluid than what we see. The stickiness of these early assumptions is stupid - now more than ever given the fluidity of the college landscape and the disruptions of the last two years due to COVID.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Anyone know when the Coaches poll comes out? Or if it comes out this early in the season?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Arizona in the polls/rankings thru games of 11/15/21:
23 Jeff Sagarin
26 Massey Composite of 20 rankings
33 AP Writers
33 USA Today Coaches
40 Ken Pomeroy
TheCatInTheHat

Non-Conference Home Schedule

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I've been going to games at McKale since the first full year it was open, when the copper roof was shiny and blinded you with the sun's reflection early and late in the day from some angles. I understand we're playing some decent non-conference games this year (hopefully this coming Sunday night), but they're all away from home. I'm not going to go back and look at old schedules, but this really could be the worst home slate of non-conference games ever at McKale. Even Fred Snowden occasionally brought in a Purdue or Illinois or somebody like that. I'm sure it's partially a case of "we got two here last year, so now we have to play them there this year, and everything else is neutral court." Yeah, but you have to balance it out. Maybe it's Sean Miller's schedule trying to keep his job, or to ease Tommy Lloyd into things, but the loyal ticket-buying public also shouldn't be taken for granted or taken advantage of. I'm aware that Lloyd says he's working on games for next year, which is fine. But, a home non-conference schedule like the one we see this year should never have happened.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

A lot of it is not the fault of Arizona or our coaches at all. High quality ooc teams simply have 0 desire to play a true road game in Tucson. Most of these games are scheduled a couple years in advance, so before the last couple bad seasons, so no big time teams want to risk a near guaranteed road loss playing in an environment like McKale. That's why everyone does neutral site games or tournaments.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

I think this year's schedule is a mix of not securing enough home and home / COVID / a brand new coach who started late in April. Gonzaga went to the national title game, Baylor won it all and Illinois was a #1 seed, those are some high quality opponents over the last few years.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Pac 12 Teams - Highest rated OOC home opponents 2021:
6 Baylor vs. Oregon
8 Villanova vs. UCLA
9 Tennessee vs. Colorado
31 San Francisco vs. Tempe Normal
39 BYU vs. Utah
73 Boise State vs. WSU
79 Texas A&M vs. OSU
107 Santa Clara vs. California
112 UC Irvine vs. USC
127 North Dakota State vs. Arizona
148 Wyoming vs. Washington
217 Tarleton State vs. Stanford
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KaibabKat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:13 pm Pac 12 Teams - Highest rated OOC home opponents 2021:
6 Baylor vs. Oregon
8 Villanova vs. UCLA
9 Tennessee vs. Colorado
31 San Francisco vs. Tempe Normal
39 BYU vs. Utah
73 Boise State vs. WSU
79 Texas A&M vs. OSU
107 Santa Clara vs. California
112 UC Irvine vs. USC
127 North Dakota State vs. Arizona
148 Wyoming vs. Washington
217 Tarleton State vs. Stanford
Ouch. Gonna put a little trust in Tommy that he'll fix this. We've never had a hard time scheduling big time OOC opponents. Getting them at McKale is a little harder.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Yeah the schedule this year was supposed to be @Gonzaga, @Illinois, and @Tennessee with Michigan on a neutral court. That's 4 of the 15 best teams in college basketball heading into this season. It's crummy that the schedule worked out to have all of those as away games this season, but part of that is just the jumble from COVID scheduling.

I disagree on the "we don't play good home and homes" anymore and you can point to the above as an example (as well as the previously noted games against Baylor) - all of those games are also (eventually or previously) home games as well. Though there's certainly truth to the preference of neutral site games more often these days.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thinking about going to the Illinois game. Anyone want to come with me?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:04 pm Thinking about going to the Illinois game. Anyone want to come with me?
You could hit up Bill Murray.
Jefe

Re: Non-Conference Home Schedule

Post by Jefe »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:50 amI've been going to games at McKale since the first full year it was open, when the copper roof was shiny and blinded you with the sun's reflection early and late in the day from some angles.
Have you been this season? No more $3 refills with old cups!!

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm just now realizing that the roof of McKale is copper, since in my whole memory it has been black.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Better shot from 1973. Yeah its completely bronzed now

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm starting to get spooked about going to games. They've lost the last 5 games I've watched in person, the most recent being vs. St. John's at the Chase Center with Nico and company. It's funny because when I was a student, they actually *won* every game I attended at McKale.

Thinking about going to the USC game on 1/2.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:21 pm I'm starting to get spooked about going to games. They've lost the last 5 games I've watched in person, the most recent being vs. St. John's at the Chase Center with Nico and company. It's funny because when I was a student, they actually *won* every game I attended at McKale.

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I love Our bench players. Aiken, Kier, and Larsson are legit. I’m a big Aiken fan.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I mean this precisely in the context of pre-conference cupcake opponents over the past several decades, and I'm telling you this team is different. There have been lopsided scores, but I haven't seen an Arizona team throttle the sisters of mercy like this since Western Kentucky in 2002. Western Kentucky wasn't this quite this bad but we were the #1 team in the country.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

What I really like so far is no one is playing more than about 25 mins a game. Michigan has players in the mid thirties. If we face Michigan it will be a true test for Koloko against a NBA skill level player. Worried about his fouls but he is playing really good right now.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:21 pm I'm starting to get spooked about going to games. They've lost the last 5 games I've watched in person, the most recent being vs. St. John's at the Chase Center with Nico and company. It's funny because when I was a student, they actually *won* every game I attended at McKale.

I’ve probably been to more losses than wins since graduating - I know how ya feel here, Beach. Hopefully I make the 1/2 game as well and shake off the last game at Galen I attended (Justin Coleman and Chase Jeter and the gang playing what I can only assume was basketball on LSD).
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:49 pm
I love the inclusion of Arizona, but I'm a firm non-believer in Oregon.

Having faith in Oregon means believing in point guard Will Richardson. The senior was excellent in 2019-20, averaging 11 points on a 48/47/85 shooting split. But he didn't take a leap forward last season after missing the first 12 games of the campaign. Now that he's the clear leader, look for Richardson to make a push for Pac-12 Player of the Year.

Will Richardson is not that guy. He's not Pac-12 POY material and I'm wondering what is going on with folks who see a superstar in him. He's a fine player - he's good - he's just not that guy. And part of the reason is that the next three guys believe they're the guy...

Additionally, coach Dana Altman used the transfer portal to add several high-level pieces, including guards De'Vion Harmon (Oklahoma) and Jacob Young (Rutgers), as well as forward Quincy Guerrier (Syracuse). This is all before mentioning five-star big man Nate Bittle, who should play a role from the jump.

Guerrier is a good and productive PF who wants to be a SF this year to show scouts that he has more to his game. The trouble is two fold: 1) he's not going to get that much run at the SF position with this guard-heavy roster, 2) he doesn't have more to his game. He's successful because he beats post players to the rim with his quickness and motor. He either needs to change his dreams or change his game and I don't know which is more unlikely.

Harmon is nice - he's a shorter two guard but he's got a lengthy wingspan and good toughness. But he's another guy who deeply believes he's an NBA player and has joined Oregon to show it and 1) I'm just not there with him, and 2) I think being desperate to show your individual skills (especially when maybe truthfully those skills aren't fully there) doesn't lend itself to team success. He developed some nice mid-range scoring last season and I like his intangibles so there's some merit to believing in him. But despite thinking he's a lead guard he hasn't shown the ability to shoot from distance and he's got 62 assists to 81 turnovers in his career so far... his family has blamed that on Oklahoma's system but maybe it's just him.

And Jacob Young... he's a high usage low efficiency small and not long back-up two guard. That's it. There's so very little to merit to even mentioning this dude as a meaningful piece of a basketball team that if he's being mentioned, that's a red flag for the roster.

Nathan Bittle might get some extra run this season only because potential star center N'Fale Dante is still recovering from a torn ACL. Read that again and let me know what level of confidence you get from it.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Michigan lost to Seton Hall last night…at home…our potentially good OOC opponents keep dropping the ball…
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:07 pm I mean this precisely in the context of pre-conference cupcake opponents over the past several decades, and I'm telling you this team is different. There have been lopsided scores, but I haven't seen an Arizona team throttle the sisters of mercy like this since Western Kentucky in 2002. Western Kentucky wasn't this quite this bad but we were the #1 team in the country.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Number 1 on Massey ratings right now.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:16 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:49 pm
I love the inclusion of Arizona, but I'm a firm non-believer in Oregon.

Having faith in Oregon means believing in point guard Will Richardson. The senior was excellent in 2019-20, averaging 11 points on a 48/47/85 shooting split. But he didn't take a leap forward last season after missing the first 12 games of the campaign. Now that he's the clear leader, look for Richardson to make a push for Pac-12 Player of the Year.

Will Richardson is not that guy. He's not Pac-12 POY material and I'm wondering what is going on with folks who see a superstar in him. He's a fine player - he's good - he's just not that guy. And part of the reason is that the next three guys believe they're the guy...

Additionally, coach Dana Altman used the transfer portal to add several high-level pieces, including guards De'Vion Harmon (Oklahoma) and Jacob Young (Rutgers), as well as forward Quincy Guerrier (Syracuse). This is all before mentioning five-star big man Nate Bittle, who should play a role from the jump.

Guerrier is a good and productive PF who wants to be a SF this year to show scouts that he has more to his game. The trouble is two fold: 1) he's not going to get that much run at the SF position with this guard-heavy roster, 2) he doesn't have more to his game. He's successful because he beats post players to the rim with his quickness and motor. He either needs to change his dreams or change his game and I don't know which is more unlikely.

Harmon is nice - he's a shorter two guard but he's got a lengthy wingspan and good toughness. But he's another guy who deeply believes he's an NBA player and has joined Oregon to show it and 1) I'm just not there with him, and 2) I think being desperate to show your individual skills (especially when maybe truthfully those skills aren't fully there) doesn't lend itself to team success. He developed some nice mid-range scoring last season and I like his intangibles so there's some merit to believing in him. But despite thinking he's a lead guard he hasn't shown the ability to shoot from distance and he's got 62 assists to 81 turnovers in his career so far... his family has blamed that on Oklahoma's system but maybe it's just him.

And Jacob Young... he's a high usage low efficiency small and not long back-up two guard. That's it. There's so very little to merit to even mentioning this dude as a meaningful piece of a basketball team that if he's being mentioned, that's a red flag for the roster.

Nathan Bittle might get some extra run this season only because potential star center N'Fale Dante is still recovering from a torn ACL. Read that again and let me know what level of confidence you get from it.
On another note, how fricken good would Alex Barcello be playing under Tommy Lloyd?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not sure that I would exactly call NDSU a cupcake but that day-long bus ride from Vegas and playing two games in two nights did them absolutely no favors. My hope is they get their PG back and roll their conference.

I am very curious to see this team in a real dogfight. We have had some lulls on offense that we’ve so far been able to make up for with stifling defense. I want to see us do that against teams that are more athletic and talented.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Up next: Wichita St

Jacksonville State W 60-57
South Alabama W 64-58
Tarleton State W 65-51

All at home.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:32 am Not sure that I would exactly call NDSU a cupcake but that day-long bus ride from Vegas and playing two games in two nights did them absolutely no favors. My hope is they get their PG back and roll their conference.

I am very curious to see this team in a real dogfight. We have had some lulls on offense that we’ve so far been able to make up for with stifling defense. I want to see us do that against teams that are more athletic and talented.
NDSU just lost their starting PG who had surgery. That didn't help. IMO, if NDSU was rested and healthy, and played on a neutral floor, the score would be closer to a 20 point win.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am curious how the Cats front court matches up with the other top front courts in the country. Koloko, Zu, and Ballo are formidable.

Koloko could be the most underrated player in the country right now. Looking how strong he is now compared to when he started at Arizona is amazing. He is now a bull underneath both offensively and defensively. You get the ball in his hands in the paint and it is almost an automatic 2. Finally I love the way he runs the floor. How many big men run the floor like that?

I like the way Zu can handle the basketball. He can dribble if necessary. He has good post moves and can pass.

You can see Ballo starting to become comfortable in the offense, and is a monster in the paint. I'm curious how good he will become by the end of the season.

All 3 can shoot FT. How often can you say that about your big men?

The first real test is coming this weekend and I can't wait to watch. I hope UA fans swarm Vegas.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

You can tell Koloko is just so much more confident than he was a year ago.

Also, seeing these guys in person twice thus far, they are FAST. And they're 6th in average possession length.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Also, the second loudest cheer of the night is when NDSU's last possession three hit the over.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Catintheheat wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:37 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:32 am Not sure that I would exactly call NDSU a cupcake but that day-long bus ride from Vegas and playing two games in two nights did them absolutely no favors. My hope is they get their PG back and roll their conference.

NDSU just lost their starting PG who had surgery. That didn't help. IMO, if NDSU was rested and healthy, and played on a neutral floor, the score would be closer to a 20 point win.
I love how much we continue to underestimate our own favorite team.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:57 am

Perhaps Friday/Sunday changes that?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

From 40 to 27 on Kenpom
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:47 pm

I’ve probably been to more losses than wins since graduating - I know how ya feel here, Beach. Hopefully I make the 1/2 game as well and shake off the last game at Galen I attended (Justin Coleman and Chase Jeter and the gang playing what I can only assume was basketball on LSD).
I'm determined to break this streak. I'm either going to the game at Pauley on 12/30 or at Galen on 12/2. Leaning towards the latter since it's a weekend and an afternoon game.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm trying to figure out what our weakness is.... I haven't figured it out yet... I don't see it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:28 am

I'm trying to figure out what our weakness is.... I haven't figured it out yet... I don't see it.
The competition
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:28 am

I think that our defense at times, especially on the ball, has not been particularly good. Once we play better teams I am sure this will be more exposed. Our opponents thus far, who have all had very little talent, have been able at times to drive to the bucket at will. This hasn't been a problem thus far as we have bigs that have guarded the basket well. This issue will be a a much bigger problem once we face teams that have much bigger, much more athletic guards.

Overall, I agree with the majority of the board that our offense is much better under Lloyds system than it was under Miller. I am still not convinced that aspects of our defense have improved.....and may have regressed in certain regards. Miller emphasized defense, and it showed on the court.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Size + excellent defense is usually a good recipe for success.

If on the ball defense has been less than stellar, that's obviously a concern. You always need that Nick Johnson type who can pressure ball-handlers and disrupt the other team's flow on offense. Not sure who's playing that role with this team.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Predicting a 20 point win against a fringe top-100 team is underestimating the Cats? :|
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

I absolutely love the way this team has looked the first 3 games. But the 2019-2020 team will forever scar me on getting excited too early. The first few games I thought Nico and Zeke were going to lead us to a Final Four but then that team began to fall apart in December. Of course Covid cancelled the tournament so we will never know but they went from fun n exciting to really frustrating in a matter of weeks.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:59 am I absolutely love the way this team has looked the first 3 games. But the 2019-2020 team will forever scar me on getting excited too early. The first few games I thought Nico and Zeke were going to lead us to a Final Four but then that team began to fall apart in December. Of course Covid cancelled the tournament so we will never know but they went from fun n exciting to really frustrating in a matter of weeks.
I get this and I'm right there with you but I think this is where Tommy shines. Sean was too uptight and it rubbed off on the players. Tommy is the opposite. He talks constantly about letting the kids play free while teaching them their role on the team. My hope is this team continues to learn while not getting so uptight. I also think Tommy's sub are not punitive like Sean's were
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:07 am
UofAlum05 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:59 am I absolutely love the way this team has looked the first 3 games. But the 2019-2020 team will forever scar me on getting excited too early. The first few games I thought Nico and Zeke were going to lead us to a Final Four but then that team began to fall apart in December. Of course Covid cancelled the tournament so we will never know but they went from fun n exciting to really frustrating in a matter of weeks.
I get this and I'm right there with you but I think this is where Tommy shines. Sean was too uptight and it rubbed off on the players. Tommy is the opposite. He talks constantly about letting the kids play free while teaching them their role on the team. My hope is this team continues to learn while not getting so uptight. I also think Tommy's sub are not punitive like Sean's were
If Tommy is going to be this cool and calm even when we get into tight games, I hope Steve Robinson is a guy who can bring some fire. Every once in a while players need a kick in the butt; someone to get in their face and hold them accountable. And our best teams had players who took on that role too. My hope is that Terry, Kier, and/or Kriisa fill that need for us.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:22 am
If Tommy is going to be this cool and calm even when we get into tight games, I hope Steve Robinson is a guy who can bring some fire. Every once in a while players need a kick in the butt; someone to get in their face and hold them accountable. And our best teams had players who took on that role too. My hope is that Terry, Kier, and/or Kriisa fill that need for us.

Did you watch the game last night? There was a time when he got really pissed off and right in the guys faces for lousy defense.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:28 am Did you watch the game last night? There was a time when he got really pissed off and right in the guys faces for lousy defense.
Yep, that was the point when after the UA went up 11-0, then barely played even up 29-17, then called a time out.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:28 am

Did you watch the game last night? There was a time when he got really pissed off and right in the guys faces for lousy defense.
Yep, I was a little surprised by it but that's what was needed at the time. Loved the full court press up 20 too
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

can't wait to see how this team plays this weekend, but I agree this is as excited as I've been about AZ basketball since early in that 2019 season (not that long ago, but still). We have all the makings of a top 15 caliber team imo.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I did see that. And maybe I’m jaded by how much of a lunatic CSM was but it seemed like a minor ass chewing. Definitely needed though. We had hit cruise control and guys were jogging.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not sure how many wins, in these first couple months, Tommy needs to reach a consensus of "he's off to a great start," but when we do lose some games, I hope the vibe here remains positive and supportive, which is what I'm finding this morning.

Like gosling said, this is the most excited I've been about the team since '19.
loomer

Post by loomer »

Some of that was lousy defense but I think he was mostly pissed because we weren't running our continuity. Our offense had completely stagnated. Out of that timeout we ran our continuity well until Mathurin missed a wide open Tubelis on a dive to the rim. This is going to be a story moving forward. How effective is our halfcourt execution going to be against better competition? Wichita State should be a decent early test. They're sub-250 in tempo and their defense is way ahead of their offense.