UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gronk4heisman

Re: UCLA Basketball in trouble!

Post by gronk4heisman »

MrBug708 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:58 am
A good sign of a chicken shit team who cancelled games because they were worried they may not be 100%. The Pac 12 commish needs to step in and force them to follow the rules as they are laid out and play their games this week. There are enough real cancellations going on, no need to postpone this game because UCLA is worried it might lose.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:01 pm
A good sign of a chicken shit team who cancelled games because they were worried they may not be 100%. The Pac 12 commish needs to step in and force them to follow the rules as they are laid out and play their games this week. There are enough real cancellations going on, no need to postpone this game because UCLA is worried it might lose.
My guess is the change in CDC rules is allowing them to practice now, vs in a few days. I havent seen anything about how many guys are practicing yet. They could have four guys at practice, cleared. We are obviously more worried about ASU, since we have four days to be healthy for them!

I bet RC97 is pretty pissed he swore off this thread :lol:
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Only 6 players practiced today. Looks like the PAC-12 commish did his job like you wanted. They just need 7 to be able to play, to go with two practices. But it made for a good story for a few hours!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

MrBug708 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:52 pm
Only 6 players practiced today. Looks like the PAC-12 commish did his job like you wanted. They just need 7 to be able to play, to go with two practices. But it made for a good story for a few hours!
How convenient that exactly 6 were "healthy" enough to practice. I still don't buy it, your coach looks like a slime ball and with how your program handled the bowl game there is not doubt that doing something to avoid playing a game short handed is more the norm than out of the realm of possibility. Mix that with the fact that you guys jumped on that free win from Washington faster than the speed of sound and it shows the character.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UCLA is getting reamed all over twitter for their actions of the basketball and football programs.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:28 am
How convenient that exactly 6 were "healthy" enough to practice. I still don't buy it, your coach looks like a slime ball and with how your program handled the bowl game there is not doubt that doing something to avoid playing a game short handed is more the norm than out of the realm of possibility. Mix that with the fact that you guys jumped on that free win from Washington faster than the speed of sound and it shows the character.
The narrative changed real quickly!
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

wyo-cat wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:47 pm They’ll cancel U of A. Too rusty.
It was way too obvious. Not surprised they are pulling this bullshit.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:30 am
FUCK UCLA for getting COVID over Christmas! Personally, I'd rather have them intentionally catch it for the Gonzaga game. Three straight losses now.
Last edited by MrBug708 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:29 am
gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:28 am
The narrative changed real quickly!
On the UCLA side? I agree.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:38 am
FUCK UCLA for getting COVID over Christmas! Personally, I'd rather have them intentionally catch it for the Gonzaga game. Three straight losses now.
I’m not getting all sweary, but quarantine is 10 days. They should’ve been ready to go before Dec 30. Can you explain why, if they were doing everything right, they aren’t?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:43 am
I’m not getting all sweary, but quarantine is 10 days. They should’ve been ready to go before Dec 30. Can you explain why, if they were doing everything right, they aren’t?
They have to be medically cleared to return to practice. Without knowing who is symptomatic, when they became symptomatic, and if they are suffering the effects over COVID, it's hard to know when. Had the existing 10 quarantine period remained, it would have taken them through this weekend. Since it was adjusted to 5 days by the CDC, the ones able to practice were able to return. Looks like 6 have been cleared to return to the court. The PAC-12 says you need 7.

Not sure how familiar with COVID you are, but it hits everyone differently. I was symptomatic for three weeks. Oxygen for another week past that. You'd need to know the status on each player and I'm not comfortable demanding each players health status on a day to day basis. That's between them, the program, and the medical staff. Not a fans business.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

How would the 10 days have run through this weekend if they first cancelled games on the 18th? Not following the math.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:04 am How would the 10 days have run through this weekend if they first cancelled games on the 18th? Not following the math.
If you want to be talked away from the conspiracy theory ledge, I'll bite. Thats assuming everyone caught it the same day, tested positive at the exact same time and there weren't more new cases. I'm assuming that basically the whole team caught it and tested positive on multiple different days. I think a few more players tested positive right before Christmas and were symptomatic, plus the pause out longer. The initial rumors were two players and Cronin. I'm guessing a few days after the 18th, a few more players/staff were symptomatic and positive.

But without knowing everyone's status, it's just guesswork and piecing info together. UCLA also has players injured. If Mac and Riley weren't hurt, they'd probably have the bodies needed to play.
Last edited by MrBug708 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:52 am
They have to be medically cleared to return to practice. Without knowing who is symptomatic, when they became symptomatic, and if they are suffering the effects over COVID, it's hard to know when. Had the existing 10 quarantine period remained, it would have taken them through this weekend. Since it was adjusted to 5 days by the CDC, the ones able to practice were able to return. Looks like 6 have been cleared to return to the court. The PAC-12 says you need 7.

Not sure how familiar with COVID you are, but it hits everyone differently. I was symptomatic for three weeks. Oxygen for another week past that. You'd need to know the status on each player and I'm not comfortable demanding each players health status on a day to day basis. That's between them, the program, and the medical staff. Not a fans business.
So, you’re saying 9/15 players were deathly sick of Covid? That’s some piss poor protocols they are running over there.

That’s a harder sell than saying they didn’t want to play a top team after a nearly a month off. It makes the program seem extremely fucked up to us on the outside.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:19 am
MrBug708 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:52 am

So, you’re saying 9/15 players were deathly sick of Covid? That’s some piss poor protocols they are running over there.

That’s a harder sell than saying they didn’t want to play a top team after a nearly a month off. It makes the program seem extremely fucked up to us on the outside.
Imagine thinking symptomatic means deathly ill. Sorry, no time for COVID deniers. Take that shit to a maga board
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:04 am How would the 10 days have run through this weekend if they first cancelled games on the 18th? Not following the math.
Good catch Gronk. Per twitter - UCLA announced a pause with the basketball program on December 17th.

That’s 12 days ago. The fact is that they could have resumed practice two days ago for those who had a negative Covid test and shouldn’t have canceled this weeks game’s until those tests came in two days ago. Forget the fact when the 10 day quarantine was reduced to only 5 days…
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We have a MAGA board?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

azgreg wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:22 am We have a MAGA board?
Reddit has a pretty big one. He can can pedal his crap there.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Side note - Didn't realize RC97 was also a COVID denier. He's out in the IE though, not surprised he's a MAGA fanatic.
Last edited by MrBug708 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't think it's all that implausible for different kids on the same team to be infected at different times.
I'm willing to give the Fighting Cronins the benefit of the doubt.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Listen, I have as much hate for UCLA as anyone but the Omicron variant appears to have just turned the whole testing/quarantine/vax process into a giant clusterfuck. We have a lot to learn and need to adapt.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Bug you trying to act like anyone who questions the odd UCLA behavior is a MAGA loving redneck says everything about this case I need to know. Try to deflect all you want. Fact is if these kids are now required to play 4 games in a week to make up games that could have been played there is a lot more real risk to the student athletes than there would have been otherwise. You guys don't want to play before your ready, cool. Take the forfeit like you were so ready to put on UW.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’ll phrase it differently.

The team is officially admitting that 9/15 were symptomatic and it’s no big deal. Happens to everyone.

It could be the way teams are infected by Omi, that would be a better approach than going all MAGA on someone.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I mean, nothing officially has been put out, other than UCLA was on pause due to COVID and when basketball activities resumed, only 6 players were cleared to return to practice. I'm not sure where the 15 number came from, but the basketball program has 13 scholarship players. Three of them are not medically cleared to play right now. (Maybe Cody Riley is now, but out of the 6, I havent seen any names. So that means four players might not be out of COVID protocols, giving them not enough players available to resume games. Gronk was adamant about UCLA following the PAC-12 rules (At first, now? Not so much), and UCLA is adhering to them right now. If your concern is that the UCLA medical staff is incompetent, or UCLA's testing policies are draconian, that might be a different conversation. I leave the medical decisions to the medical experts.

As for the CVID, you obviously don't understand what is going on across the country. I apologize for thinking you are MAGA, but in my experience, the ones who are as dismissive as you seem to be about COVID, tend to be from the same political cloth. As of Christmas Eve, there were about 75 programs on pause from all basketball activities. That's more than 20% of all men's division 1 programs. More than 100 games have been cancelled. It's obviously going through programs as a high rate of infection, not just a single player here or there. Anyone who has spend anytime around COVID knows it affects people vastly differently. I was hospitalized despite no prior health conditions. My wife was asymptomatic. All three shots? I've been knocked on my ass. My wife had a sore shoulder one of the times. I have no idea how it affects each one of the UCLA players. Mick Cronin went dark for two weeks. Will we ever know? Probably not, but they certainly won't violate player privacy laws for the sake of dispelling nonsensical fandom conspiracy theories. FERPA is a thing. My personal experience gives me very little time for people who don't see COVID as nothing but a minor issue.
Last edited by MrBug708 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

How I envision RC97's negrep comments when he posts them. Very on brand.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Bug - we have an unwritten rule on this board that political discourse stays on the lower boards. Please try and adhere.

There are plenty of threads you can stick your MAGA and Trump stuff.

Thanks.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Up to 99 teams today that have been on pause or are currently on pause.

Wowsas!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

C'mon UCLA, play some ball!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Mick Cronin is a coward.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:47 pm Mick Cronin is a coward.
I second that notion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UCLA will be ready come May
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Betting the conference is working with its TV partners for some lead time to hype the game. We just want to play ball
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:47 pm Mick Cronin is a coward.
Ahem ..... it's Mickey Boy to you dude.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Wait what?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

What the Fuck????

That’s some bullshit.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What in the actual fuck is that?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Anybody remember years ago when the Fiesta Bowl was just starting and Nebraska refused to play ASU? Frank Kush had a crate of live chickens delivered to the Nebraska team offices. Just an idea.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

UCLA isn't allowing fans right now, so I'm guessing they don't want to miss a payday if they can't help it.

My guess is LA County wants to make this countywide but...Super Bowl.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Come on, bunch a pansies.
How many freaking conference games do they have to make up, we already have 3.

No way on earth we play our full conference slate, especially if we keep getting passed over for powderpuff games.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

MrBug708 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:42 pm UCLA isn't allowing fans right now, so I'm guessing they don't want to miss a payday if they can't help it.
Or they don’t want to play a team that can beat them without a home crowd.

Looks really bad when everyone knows you have to make up conference games and you slot a cupcake instead.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Looking more like a forfeit to me. Either that or UCLA can have two games in a row at McKale when they come visit on the road. ;)
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Mickey Boy doesn't have enough starters ready to play us so he wants another "practice" against The Beach and shake off the rust while hoping more starters pass protocols. Dragging his feet.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I have 2 tickets to the UCLA at AZ game on Feb 3. If UCLA fucks that up I am going to be so pissed
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'll be keen to see who starts against The Beach, and if not at strength, whom Mickey Boy deigns to play as soon as he has all his starters back.

~ Wilhoit's Law
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:50 am I have 2 tickets to the UCLA at AZ game on Feb 3. If UCLA fucks that up I am going to be so pissed
I heard they are in negotiations with Sac State. They will have to reschedule.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:11 am
MrBug708 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:42 pm UCLA isn't allowing fans right now, so I'm guessing they don't want to miss a payday if they can't help it.

Looks really bad when everyone knows you have to make up conference games and you slot a cupcake instead.
UCLA doesn't schedule PAC-12 games.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

MrBug708 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:08 am

I notice you didn’t say “UCLA has no control over the scheduling of PAC-12 games”, which is good, because that would have been a lie.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Doesn't really matter. They do coordinate with league so to say they are not part of any scheduling decisions is just plausible deniability.

And it appears on the surface - since both teams need to make up their game at some point and they are both available to play now - that Mickey & Co. are dodging us.

You can spin it any old way you want but it looks like the big, bad Bruins are really just a bunch of pussies.

:lol:
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:21 am

I notice you didn’t say “UCLA has no control over the scheduling of PAC-12 games”, which is good, because that would have been a lie.
Id much rather play Arizona on two days notice. No reason to not play them now. My guess is the conference wants the TV revenue and there wasn't a way to get it primetime.