Conference Realignment

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Re: Conference Realignment

Post by PHXCATS »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:55 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:47 am What would you rather be in? Big 12 or a new PAC with the 8 current members (Oregon and Washington gone) and 6 MWC teams added? Say Fresno St, San Diego St, Wyoming, Boise St, UNLV and Nevada
Neither. It's Big 10, SEC, possibly ACC or bust. These other conferences will all be 2nd tier at some point and the recruiting disadvantages of being 2nd tier will ruin our athletic programs. Not to mention a much much smaller opportunity to ever have a shot at National Championships. That is why this whole thing is a frigging joke. Barely even worth caring about college athletics anymore unless your school is economic powerhouse. Oh and Fuck Larry Scott for being a lazy parasite with no foresight whatsoever.
Why would any of those conferences want UA?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well the Big10 might want all those Midwest transplants that live in AZ. They do wat h games you know

We won 7 NCAA championships, all in minor sports that would give them the appearance they actually give a shit about something other than football.

They may want an accredited AAU level university along with covering the nation from east coast to west coast truly making them BIG
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:56 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:47 am What would you rather be in? Big 12 or a new PAC with the 8 current members (Oregon and Washington gone) and 6 MWC teams added? Say Fresno St, San Diego St, Wyoming, Boise St, UNLV and Nevada
Neither. It's Big 10, SEC, possibly ACC or bust. These other conferences will all be 2nd tier at some point and the recruiting disadvantages of being 2nd tier will ruin our athletic programs. Not to mention a much much smaller opportunity to ever have a shot at National Championships. That is why this whole thing is a frigging joke. Barely even worth caring about college athletics anymore unless your school is economic powerhouse. Oh and Fuck Larry Scott for being a lazy parasite with no foresight whatsoever.
Maybe because we are a growing state and the UofA is a large University. We have great Basketball, Baseball, and Softball Programs. Could have a very competitive Football program under the right circumstances(being in one of big boy conferences would vault us up a notch or 2). Why does the Big 10 have Rutgers or Maryland? Minnesota? Northwestern? The UofA is better than all of them as far as athletics go.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't imagine PAC university presidents allowing any of those schools in.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:20 pm
Maybe because we are a growing state and the UofA is a large University. We have great Basketball, Baseball, and Softball Programs. Could have a very competitive Football program under the right circumstances(being in one of big boy conferences would vault us up a notch or 2). Why does the Big 10 have Rutgers or Maryland? Minnesota? Northwestern? The UofA is better than all of them as far as athletics go.
Revenue is why. But the landscape of TV has changed so much since then

Revenue is all that matters..UA would not add that much revenue compared to other options the Big Ten has
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:42 pm
Metro Phoenix is the 11th largest metro in the US with almost 5 million people. How many Big 10 schools can say that?

Just like when ASU and UA joined the PAC in 78, they really didn't want UA but had to since they wanted ASU.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

On I forgot, Wilner knows all. F that guy, he is an idiot.

I agree media value is important but we have no idea the value of the transplants living in AZ who Might want to see their Big10 school live every other year.

We may not move the needle much but we do have some things the conference would like. Watch
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:47 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:42 pm
Metro Phoenix is the 11th largest metro in the US with almost 5 million people. How many Big 10 schools can say that?

Just like when ASU and UA joined the PAC in 78, they really didn't want UA but had to since they wanted ASU.
Respectfully your mindset on this is stuck back in 2008. TV has changes so much with cord cutting. Even with asu being in Phoenix Metro they have the 9th out of 12 in revenue from football and 8th in TV ratings of the 12 PAC-12 teams.

I does not matter what TV Market you are in, Revenue is all that matters. Oregon brings revenue. U of A and asu do not
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:49 pm On I forgot, Wilner knows all. F that guy, he is an idiot.

I agree media value is important but we have no idea the value of the transplants living in AZ who Might want to see their Big10 school live every other year.

We may not move the needle much but we do have some things the conference would like. Watch
I really hope you are right. It would be ideal
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:02 pm Even with asu being in Phoenix Metro they have the 9th out of 12 in revenue from football and 8th in TV ratings of the 12 PAC-12 teams.

I does not matter what TV Market you are in, Revenue is all that matters. Oregon brings revenue. U of A and asu do not
Good point, but lots of midwestern transplants in AZ.

Only 20% of those 25 and older in AZ were born there and 40% of the entire population.

My wife was born in AZ, but her parents weren't, and none of my siblings and parents weren't.

Just because they aren't ASU fans, doesn't mean they don't have an appetite for college football.

I grew up in Michigan. By far, the biggest sporting event of the entire year was UM/tOSU football. Not that UA will ever play them again, even in the Big 12, but lots of other teams in that midwest they will.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Arizona has a lot going for it. I think we let our ineptitude in football cloud our judgement of the school as a whole.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:36 pm
Revenue is why. But the landscape of TV has changed so much since then

Revenue is all that matters..UA would not add that much revenue compared to other options the Big Ten has
We are middle of the Pac in revenue despite having an awful football program in recent years. We were only $5 mil behind vaunted Oregon in 2021. Slightly ahead of ASU and Colorado. Obviously Stanford, Washington, UCLA, and USC were out in front. USC actually was only 14 million ahead of us in revenue. Stanford and Washington actually produced the highest revenue streams.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:17 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:02 pm Even with asu being in Phoenix Metro they have the 9th out of 12 in revenue from football and 8th in TV ratings of the 12 PAC-12 teams.

Good point, but lots of midwestern transplants in AZ.

Only 20% of those 25 and older in AZ were born there and 40% of the entire population.

My wife was born in AZ, but her parents weren't, and none of my siblings and parents weren't.

Just because they aren't ASU fans, doesn't mean they don't have an appetite for college football.

I grew up in Michigan. By far, the biggest sporting event of the entire year was UM/tOSU football. Not that UA will ever play them again, even in the Big 12, but lots of other teams in that midwest they will.
I honestly dont get how that matters so could you explain it better please? Currently you can get every Big Ten football and basketball game in Arizona on almost every tv provider. You would not make a move just to have a few more butts in seats when the current Big Ten schools visit asu or U of A when U of A and asu provide a small fraction of the revenue Oregon, Notre Dame, North Carolina do. Sucks but it is true
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can someone help me understand why it's good to have 2 super-conferences and have everyone else sink?

I don't understand how this benefits anyone?
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Rutgers and Maryland are in for the NYC and DC markets respectively. And yes despite their lack of success they have strong fanbases. Northwestern (ie Chicago) and far higher academics than UA. MN is a founding member with roughly equal academics to U of A.

The Big 10 now has the largest markets for TV viewing across the country, and AZ is really an afterthought compared to such. The population of AZ and the population distribution of West is small relatively.
Last edited by 1stNGrant Frys on Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

First, it was Arizona that lead the charge to be added to the PAC. Back in 1978, tv money didn't exist. It was about travel expenses, and USC was tired of traveling to Pullman and Corvallis. We dragged ASu along, who was happy being the cheating big fish in a small pond at the time.

Arizona has a lot to offer a conference. Great basketball, softball, and baseball, which bring in decent money. Problem is, football is king, and our football team and revenue lag. And football is what makes UW and Oregon more attractive.

I think the PAC is dead. No L. A. schools, and no viable conference. L. A. is the lifeblood of the PAC. Best players, and highest revenue schools. We could expand, but we have to think outside the west. I'm not sure the BIG 12 teams are going to leave after they survived Texas and OU leaving. So maybe the PAC can poach/merge with some ACC teams?

Our best case scenario might be joining the the BIG 12. Adding Colorado, Utah, and the Arizona schools, along with BYU, Texas Tech, OK State, and maybe Baylor or Houston isn't an awful, 8 team pod. But certainly a downgrade for fans, trading CA, OR and WA for places like Lubbock and Stillwater.
smashmode

Post by smashmode »

Well crap guys. Good luck to us all ❤️
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

smashmode wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:44 pm Well crap guys. Good luck to us all ❤️
Hey Smashie! Glad to see you stop by.

What's the word on where UDub is going?

What's Basnight say? :D
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

smashmode

Post by smashmode »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:55 pm
smashmode wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:44 pm Well crap guys. Good luck to us all ❤️
Hey Smashie! Glad to see you stop by.

What's the word on where UDub is going?

What's Basnight say? :D
Hey!! Catgrad97 found me on Twitter so I had to come check on how you guys were doing.

Where is UW headed? I think the prevailing thought by most is we (Oregon/Stanford/UW) is waiting on Notre Dame.

UW fans are a mixture of Hope of a lifeline from the B1G or doom/gloom that we might get left behind in all of this.

As to Basnight, haven’t seen him in ages..!
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

azgreg wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:43 pm
Oregon State might as well be Stanford compared to Boise State. I knew BSU wasn't exactly highly regarded academically, but I had no idea it was that poor in comparison to even the other tertiary state schools.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Hasn’t Houston moved conferences a lot lately?
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

1stNGrant Frys wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:57 pm
Rutgers and Maryland are in for the NYC and DC markets respectively. And yes despite their lack of success they have strong fanbases. Northwestern (ie Chicago) and far higher academics than UA. MN is a founding member with roughly equal academics to U of A.

The Big 10 now has the largest markets for TV viewing across the country, and AZ is really an afterthought compared to such. The population of AZ and the population distribution of West is small relatively.
You are pretty much correct on everything you said other than Rutgers. Not sure Rutgers brings the NYC market into the equation much? Other than being located there. Who the hell is watching Rutgers? Nobody. They totaled 45 million in revenue last year. That would make them last in the Pac by a wiiide margin. They have been accruing massive debts the last several years in order to raise their mid major like program.

Maryland is an OK school, but pretty much on par with UofA in athletics revenues despite the DC/Baltimore markets. They may get a couple of more eyes on their games thanks to the Big 10 networks distribution. Thank Larry Scott and the Pac 12 braintrust for that

Completely correct about Northwestern, but who cares about academics in an athletic money grab? However, I was surprised that the Northwestern athletic department brought in $111 million last year. Figured it would be in the 80's or 90's tops(on par with Oregon St/Utah).

Minnesota was just dumb on my part.

With all of that said. We need the Big 10, SEC, or ACC. Or we need the PAC to stop being lazy and go out and recruit some decent schools. I start with Baylor, Oklahoma St, Kansas, North Carolina, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Duke. Keep Oregon and Washington and shit all over USC and UCLA. East/West divisions. Would definitely be more basketball heavy, but would be a pretty damn solid conference. Of course this has about as much of a chance of happening as Larry Scott having a good idea in his brainless f-ing skull. Or George Kliavhoff catching a Marlin in the Yellowstone River while the Pac 12 crumbles unbeknownst to him.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CopaCat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:58 pm

You are pretty much correct on everything you said other than Rutgers. Not sure Rutgers brings the NYC market into the equation much? Other than being located there. Who the hell is watching Rutgers? Nobody. They totaled 45 million in revenue last year. That would make them last in the Pac by a wiiide margin. They have been accruing massive debts the last several years in order to raise their mid major like program.

Maryland is an OK school, but pretty much on par with UofA in athletics revenues despite the DC/Baltimore markets. They may get a couple of more eyes on their games thanks to the Big 10 networks distribution. Thank Larry Scott and the Pac 12 braintrust for that

Completely correct about Northwestern, but who cares about academics in an athletic money grab? However, I was surprised that the Northwestern athletic department brought in $111 million last year. Figured it would be in the 80's or 90's tops(on par with Oregon St/Utah).

With all of that said. We need the Big 10, SEC, or ACC. Or we need the PAC to stop being lazy and go out and recruit some decent schools. I start with Baylor, Oklahoma St, Kansas, North Carolina, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Florida State, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Duke. Keep Oregon and Washington and shit all over USC and UCLA. East/West divisions. Would definitely be more basketball heavy, but would be a pretty damn solid conference. Of course this has about as much of a chance of happening as Larry Scott having a good idea in his brainless f-ing skull. Or George Kliavhoff catching a Marlin in the Yellowstone River while the Pac 12 crumbles unbeknownst to him.
The Pac-12 "crumbling" caught virtually everyone by ssurprise. And, trust me on this - there is not one single remaining Pac-12 school that would not immediately accept an invite from the BIG-whatever....

The ACC media compact contractually locks schools in until, I believe 2036. I'm sure they're all putting their lawyers onto this, but that will restrict any movement for the time-being...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Hopefully Robbins and Heeke are talking to the Big-12 now, trying to get an invite. They can't sit and wait to see what midlevel schools the Pac-12 will ask to join. They need to look out for themselves and not worry about the other schools. If they wait, it might be too late.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

The ACC buyout to leave before 2036 is about $50 million. Prohibitive, but not impossible for a school to overcome with SEC or BIG 10 money. Especially if the former ACC school finances the buyout.

I'm not sure we should preemptively jump to the BIG 12. If the PAC can stay together, I'd rather stay with the PAC schools than look to our east. But I would keep the lines of communication open with the BIG 12. If the PAC crumbles, the BIG 12 is our best bet.
mofo

Post by mofo »

It’s times like these I’m just so thankful we’re in the very capable hands of Bobby and Dave!! 😆
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:58 am The ACC buyout to leave before 2036 is about $50 million. Prohibitive, but not impossible for a school to overcome with SEC or BIG 10 money. Especially if the former ACC school finances the buyout.

I'm not sure we should preemptively jump to the BIG 12. If the PAC can stay together, I'd rather stay with the PAC schools than look to our east. But I would keep the lines of communication open with the BIG 12. If the PAC crumbles, the BIG 12 is our best bet.
I can't see Oregon and Washington staying, especially if schools like San Diego State and Fresno State are added. The Pac-12 would be on the same level as the Mountain West. College sports is not what it once used to be. You either go with the change or you will be left behind.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So with the loss of Texas and Oklahoma, the big12 is now a basketball conference with some really good mid major football programs. I think landing in the big 12 would be a good move. However, I think the big 12 will probably ask Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and Utah, so we better wedge our foot in the door, not sure we can wait around or to be invited, might have to hike our dress a bit and show a little leg in order to get picked up before all the seats are full.

Think Washington and Oregon are next to get courted, and I don't want to be around after they leave. The list of possible additions to the PAC is less appealing than the prospect of moving to the Big 12.

In my basketball centric, don't know crap about media deals or university athletics budgets, zona fanboy opinion.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

My guess is UW & OU end up in the Big 10
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Can we self-sanction our way into the conference of our choice, or have we missed our window?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

84Cat wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:08 am My guess is UW & OU end up in the Big 10
ND, U of Zero, Udub and Kansas.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:02 am So with the loss of Texas and Oklahoma, the big12 is now a basketball conference with some really good mid major football programs. I think landing in the big 12 would be a good move. However, I think the big 12 will probably ask Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and Utah, so we better wedge our foot in the door, not sure we can wait around or to be invited, might have to hike our dress a bit and show a little leg in order to get picked up before all the seats are full.

Think Washington and Oregon are next to get courted, and I don't want to be around after they leave. The list of possible additions to the PAC is less appealing than the prospect of moving to the Big 12.

In my basketball centric, don't know crap about media deals or university athletics budgets, zona fanboy opinion.
Arizona and ASU are much bigger targets than Colorado and Utah
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Irish27 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:37 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:58 am The ACC buyout to leave before 2036 is about $50 million. Prohibitive, but not impossible for a school to overcome with SEC or BIG 10 money. Especially if the former ACC school finances the buyout.

I can't see Oregon and Washington staying, especially if schools like San Diego State and Fresno State are added. The Pac-12 would be on the same level as the Mountain West. College sports is not what it once used to be. You either go with the change or you will be left behind.
If the PAC can poach a couple of BIG 12 schools like OK State and TTech, plus some mid majors, the PAC might be able to survive. Especially if the BIG 10 keeps telling Oregon and UW no.

The SEC might actually be an option too. The BIG 10 is now coast to coast. If the addition of the L. A. schools gives the BIG 10 a late night advantage for TV, the SEC may respond. The SEC might make a west coast play, and could grab UW, Oregon, Stanford, Arizona, Colorado, and Utah, for example, which would give the SEC a presence in 6 states out west. Put these 6 with Texas, TAMU, Oklahoma, Mizzou, and maybe LSU, and that's a division. Or, along with the 6 PAC schools, add 2 more BIG 12 schools, and the SEC would be 24, with the original 12 in one division, and the newer schools in the other.

I just personally think a pre-emptive jump to the BIG 12 is not worth it at this point. If this becomes our best option because Oregon and UW get a BIG 10 invite, then it will be time to jump. Until then, there are potentially better options. And patience is warranted.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:42 am If the PAC can poach a couple of BIG 12 schools like OK State and TTech, plus some mid majors, the PAC might be able to survive. Especially if the BIG 10 keeps telling Oregon and UW no.
But what makes the Pac an appealing choice? We have no TV deal. The Pac is essentially a mid-major now and I have no idea what we could possibly offer any Big 12 school.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't think there's any chance of getting BIG XII schools to join the PAC.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azgreg wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:07 pm I don't think there's any chance of getting BIG XII schools to join the PAC.
Agree based on economics. The Big12 has a better TV contract. Money talks.

Our best outcome is to be absorbed by the Big12. Any notion of the UA getting into the Big10/SEC is pure fantasy.

My worst nightmare is that the Big12 expands to 16 and takes UW/Oregon and then has to pick 2 out of asu/ua/Col/Utah.

We have the smallest TV market of that group and the worst football program. The UA might end up in a mutated MWC/P12 leftover conference.
Last edited by dmjcat on Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I really hope we are no longer with asu but play them every year in every sport non conference

That said we gotta join the Big Ten or Big 12 or ACC as soon as possible no matter who else joins
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:20 pm I really hope we are no longer with asu but play them every year in every sport non conference
I imagine the ABOR would require it like they do with NAU.
dmjcat wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:16 pm Our best outcome is to be absorbed by the Big12. Any notion of the getting into the Big10/SEC is pure fantasy.
That's my take too. Outside of a new basketball conference like the Big East but with the trend towards mega-conferences that is not going to happen.

I really doubt Oregon and UDub would settle for the Big 12 with Texas and Oklahoma bailing.
azgreg wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:30 pm

Would the PAC then dissolve? Since UCLA and USC left on the last day possible for 2024, if UA and the rest left now they would have to wait until 2025.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:32 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:20 pm I really hope we are no longer with asu but play them every year in every sport non conference
I imagine the ABOR would require it like they do with NAU.
dmjcat wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:16 pm Our best outcome is to be absorbed by the Big12. Any notion of the getting into the Big10/SEC is pure fantasy.
That's my take too. Outside of a new basketball conference like the Big East but with the trend towards mega-conferences that is not going to happen.

I really doubt Oregon and UDub would settle for the Big 12 with Texas and Oklahoma bailing.

Would the PAC then dissolve? Since UCLA and USC left on the last day possible for 2024, if UA and the rest left now they would have to wait until 2025.
I think that UO/UW would bolt for the B12 in a nanosecond if they can't get a B10 invite. The alternative would be to stay in a heavily neutered PAC-Whatever + a couple of MWC schools.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

If that's what it takes to get into the Big 12 I'll take it. We'll have some epic battles in men's basketball, and Adia will finally have a realistic chance of winning a conference title.

My gut tells me Washington and Oregon will get into the Big 10 eventually. Just might take a few weeks longer.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:05 pm My gut tells me Washington and Oregon will get into the Big 10 eventually. Just might take a few weeks longer.
Not sure if this is true or not, but if ND does decline, then I would think most certainly they are gone to the Big 10.

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:24 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:05 pm My gut tells me Washington and Oregon will get into the Big 10 eventually. Just might take a few weeks longer.
Not sure if this is true or not, but if ND does decline, then I would think most certainly they are gone to the Big 10.

There might be a fly in the ointment for UW/UO joining the B1G
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:53 pm
AzCatFan2 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:42 am If the PAC can poach a couple of BIG 12 schools like OK State and TTech, plus some mid majors, the PAC might be able to survive. Especially if the BIG 10 keeps telling Oregon and UW no.
But what makes the Pac an appealing choice? We have no TV deal. The Pac is essentially a mid-major now and I have no idea what we could possibly offer any Big 12 school.

Oregon, UW, and if the PAC can add a school in Texas plus SDSU, the PAC would still have appeal for a decent TV contract. Big if. Especially with Notre Dame turning down the BIG 10. Because UW and Oregon will bolt for the BIG 10 in a nanosecond if invited.

I think our best scenario is remaining linked to UW and Oregon first. Utah and Colorado next. I'd put the L. A. schools above the Pacific NW, but that ship has sailed, and we're not getting a BIG 10 invite.

Now, if UW and Oregon are the BIG 10's Notre Dame contingency plan, then moving to the BIG 12 becomes our best option. But still many moving parts, including the Washington and Oregon BORs, who may not allow WSU and OSU to spilt with UW and Oregon, respectively. And the BIG 12 aren't going to add the Beavers or Cougs.

Last, TV market size isn't as important as it was a decade ago. Games are televised less and less on traditional networks, and even if they are, there are streaming options. Total eyeballs are more important. And when it comes to eyeballs, Arizona has an edge over ASu.

ASu has a slightly better football program, but only marginally. But men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, and softball, it is no contest. Add it all up, and throw in Arizona's AAU membership, and Arizona is a better option than ASu.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:20 am
CopaCat wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:58 pm

The Pac-12 "crumbling" caught virtually everyone by ssurprise. And, trust me on this - there is not one single remaining Pac-12 school that would not immediately accept an invite from the BIG-whatever....

The ACC media compact contractually locks schools in until, I believe 2036. I'm sure they're all putting their lawyers onto this, but that will restrict any movement for the time-being...
I didn't know they had a contract until 2036. Maybe they want to absorb our Conference then. Let's go.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I'll take it. Maybe UNLV for Bosie or just have Bosie for football like ND does for ACC. Only way the pac is going to survive. No way UDUB and UO stay though without being forced to.
Mike Luke's burner account.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

This is all just too fucking depressing. Makes me want to just give up on intercollegiate athletics altogether. Except I'm addicted to BDW.