I Will Never Take A Cruise

If you stayed, ate, or excursioned say it here.

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

I Will Never Take A Cruise

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Re: I Will Never Take A Cruise

Post by ASUHATER! »

i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hardest of passes.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I had a good time on the two I've been on but the older I get the less it appeals to me.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never been on one, and never will. Just doesn't appeal to me being trapped, and tied into activities that I really aren't interested in anyway.

That cargo ship in the same storm:
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

There a few that sound cool. The Viking River Cruises, or Alaskan ones. But, yeah. They are way too expensive and I don’t like people enough to be trapped with them.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

JMarkJohns wrote:There a few that sound cool. The Viking River Cruises, or Alaskan ones. But, yeah. They are way too expensive and I don’t like people enough to be trapped with them.
Here's a trip for you. This is what my brother and his wife are going to do soon:

Sail from San Francisco thru the panama Canal to Miami.
Get of that ship, board another and sail to Europe.
Fuck around in Europe for a couple of weeks.
Sail back to Miami.
Take Amtrak from Miami to San Francisco.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

JMarkJohns wrote:There a few that sound cool. The Viking River Cruises, or Alaskan ones. But, yeah. They are way too expensive and I don’t like people enough to be trapped with them.
Beware the river cruises. The deeper hulled boats are highly dependent on proper river water levels in order to travel. IIRC VRC has been royally fucked during low water months in Europe being unable to travel while other companies' boats continue to operate with ease. Also, knowing this, the cruise company trip insurance plays fast and loose with that contingency.

IMO you get what you pay for on other types of cruises. We've enjoyed Crystal (http://www.crystalcruises.com" target="_blank) but they are spendy. If food and populations less than that of the Rose Bowl matter to you then you have to pay up for it.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We've been on two cruises. The little three day from San Diego to Ensenada and back and seven day Alaska cruise. Liked them both very much.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

There is one thing that will definitely make you loath to take a cruise: read the agreement you have to sign in order to be allowed to board. When a company requires you to release it of any claims as to the seaworthiness of its vessel it forces you to make a pointed choice: who is more deserving of death by keel hauling, the company directors or its lawyers?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Gedoudahere with this BS. I'm cruising from Darwin to Broome in August. Nuttin to do and 10 days to do it in.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

With Love, From Puke City...
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

My wife and I cruise quite a bit, usually to the Caribbean over Thanksgiving with a group of friends. Went to Alaska this last May and loved it. Cruising the Mediterranean for a couple weeks, leaving in early May. We always do port intensive cruises so we have a stop most days and not stuck onboard day after day after day.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This lede is ..... whoo boy...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Trumpers love cruises so I anticipate many cruises in the future having massive covid outbreaks.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

All non Vaxxed people should get a free cruise together as a way to get us to herd immunity
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks Royal Caribbean. I imagine this will really help lift the quarantine requirement for international travelers who fly on airplanes like sane people.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

ASUHATER! wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:08 am Trumpers love cruises so I anticipate many cruises in the future having massive covid outbreaks.
I don't think that's necessarily true. There's a poll on the cruise website Cruise Critic asking if making the proof of vaccination mandatory before passengers are allowed to board. 90% of the respondents said yes. My wife and I cruise and we have many non-Trump friends that cruise too, and we're all vaccinated and would prefer the cruise lines to make vaccinations mandatory. Unfortunately, there's dumbasses like DeSantis that don't believe in it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

A Covid outbreak on a cruise ship is literally my worst nightmare.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:10 am A Covid outbreak on a cruise ship is literally my worst nightmare.
Mine is waking up without my penis.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:10 am A Covid outbreak on a cruise ship is literally my worst nightmare.
Can't imagine being stuck in your cabin for 24 hours a day with your partner and they bring you food to the cabin, esp in an interior cabin.

But at least I get to keep my penis.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's my Merkin, glass half full.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Maybe I will take a cruise after all.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:25 pm Maybe I will take a cruise after all.
Someone went for a cruise with the hope of seeing the Statue of Liberty on deck, but instead saw an Eiffel Tower when they went inside.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I know teh board's general idea on cruises but we're taking another one anyways. Next summer we're going on a Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway with about 20 friends. Departs from Miami and hits Puerto Plata, St. Thomas, Tortola, Great Stirrup Cay, then back to Miami. Should be a good time.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With 20 friends? I'm not even sure I know 20 people.

My wife is trying to talk me into taking the Alaskan cruise for our 40th so I may no longer be 100% against cruises. More like 95% against.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:57 pm With 20 friends? I'm not even sure I know 20 people.

My wife is trying to talk me into taking the Alaskan cruise for our 40th so I may no longer be 100% against cruises. More like 95% against.
We did an Alaska cruise a couple of years ago. Liked it a lot.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:57 pm With 20 friends? I'm not even sure I know 20 people.

While you are considering options, consider the Alaska Marine Highway - could take a vehicle and do asome road travel between up-and-back trip. Not a "cruise" per se, but all the ports, and truly great visuals, too

https://dot.alaska.gov/amhs/index.shtml
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:10 pm I know teh board's general idea on cruises but we're taking another one anyways. Next summer we're going on a Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway with about 20 friends. Departs from Miami and hits Puerto Plata, St. Thomas, Tortola, Great Stirrup Cay, then back to Miami. Should be a good time.
Be careful, even with edibles:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/c ... 2906&ei=77
There are horror stories of people who have been kicked off ships in foreign ports or placed on blacklists for violating the cannabis rules, according to the Wall Street Journal, and some told the Journal that they are scared and confused about the crackdown.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Femcat is hammering me about taking a Mediterranean cruise to fulfill my desire to go to Italy. Just two problems with that…

1) Cruise ships are basically waterlogged coffins teaming with potential death & disease, and

2) The whole reason why I want to go to Italy is to visit my family’s town in the hills above Naples and there’s no chance of doing that if we have to be back to the floating death barge by 6pm to go the next tourist trap port or whatever.

I’m actually pretty pissed. Maybe I should tell her I’ll stay home and watch the dog and then I’ll go later by myself to do the trip I’ve been talking about for the better part of a decade.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The smaller the ship, the higher the ratio of crew to customer, the more it's tailored to snooty non-pedestrian themes, the more it costs, the less likely you'll be on that floating petri dish of puke. The real barrier is planning, getting one that meshes with broader plans. This shit usually takes booking a year in advance, and a commitment to travel insurance that most of us just don't wanna fuck with. Good luck.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:33 pm Femcat is hammering me about taking a Mediterranean cruise to fulfill my desire to go to Italy. Just two problems with that…

1) Cruise ships are basically waterlogged coffins teaming with potential death & disease, and

2) The whole reason why I want to go to Italy is to visit my family’s town in the hills above Naples and there’s no chance of doing that if we have to be back to the floating death barge by 6pm to go the next tourist trap port or whatever.

I’m actually pretty pissed. Maybe I should tell her I’ll stay home and watch the dog and then I’ll go later by myself to do the trip I’ve been talking about for the better part of a decade.
Yeah, this is definitely a shitty scenario.

Might you try taking her on a short three day cruise close to home just to satiate her cruise desire with the agreement you'll do Italy in a better way?

Just getting off in crappy tourist-trap ports of call is no way to visit or experience a country.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

She doesn’t want to do a cruise either. But between me driving a rental car all up and down the boot (and maybe into Croatia/Slovenia) over 15 days she’d rather be able to lay out with a drink while a boat takes us to the next town.

I don’t blame her. But it’s not what I want. Let’s get lost in the countryside and let me use my shitty Italian to impose upon some hillside taverna owner to break out the really good wine that his uncle makes just down the hill while we discover all the churches my family made bells for from about the mid-1500s through the late 1800s.

Naaaaaaaaahhhhhh… instead let’s get dropped off at the port right in front of 20 souvenir stands and “authentic” pizza places in Tourist Town. Yeah, that’s the cultural enrichment I’ve been envisioning.

My family is from Atripalda. Which is a town right outside Avellino (where the Sopranos were supposed to be from). I’ve got all the ancestry stuff and probably wouldn’t have an issue finding distant relatives… except instead I’ll be on the Norovirus Express watching a bad Michael Jackson impersonator sing The Hits! Yay.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:33 pm Femcat is hammering me about taking a Mediterranean cruise to fulfill my desire to go to Italy. Just two problems with that…

Sounds like you're on the fence here. Give yourself a few days to reflect.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Chi, trust your gut. Speaking as someone with distant relatives that my deceased uncle hunted down in the 70s and that each subsequent generation of my family is incumbent on keeping up the ties, your plan is the way.

Even if you have no familial ties to Italy, slow Italy is the best Italy.

My family town is 1hr north of Turin next to a national park in the foothills of the alps. Just stunning. We explored what is basically now a ghost town and found this resturant at one of the trailheads of this park. Owner and her husband new come connection form the 1920s from the side that stayed and we had exactly that: probably our best meal from scratch including my at times pain in the ass vegetation wife (PITA for dietary choices lol) multiple course multiple drinks and then they busted out the homemade grappa . Best meal in our 3 trips to Italy.

The post man came to deliver mail, have lunch and take a nap on the hammock, then off to deliver more mail.

My kids had run of the property. It was spectacular.

For where you’re going you could easily do both.

Explore your home town, see Pompeii, I know you from this site to be a history buff, you would really love a visit to Pompeii. Then give fem cat the time of her life by shelling out for 3nights on Capri at some swank hotel.

Or if you really want to have luxury beach resort vacay (this is my wife’s jam too) that’s off the beaten track, check out the island of Ischia. Might have to get selective between sandy beaches vs pebbly. Or just go to the amalfi coast.

People are hit and miss on Capri and during the day it can be a zoo. Stay overnight a few nights, and you have the island to yourself and it’s pretty magical. Just one persons opinion.

Pm me if you want more details. I don’t know much but did spend anvoit 8-9days around Naples and the Sorrento coast/Capri last summer.

Shit one more “Italy is amazing story”. We are at the marina having dinner and want to rent a boat. I go to the shops and it’s like 1000euro for the day. Nope.

I tell my Wife I’m going for a walk. I find some old cosge working on his boat in his garage and ask if he knew anyone who could take me out , in my shitty train of course. He tells me to find the old lady in the tabbachi shop. So I find the tabbachi shop and the old lady with a cig hang out of her mouth. She says wait a minute, makes a call and then some 20 something from a restaurant comes and meets me. 250 euro without skipper, 350 euro with skipper, the whole day go where ever we want. Found a locals beach club, swam in the bed, swam under waterfalls, when in hidden caves. Just awesome.

Italy rules. Good luck with your planning and negotiations.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:00 pm multiple course multiple drinks and then they busted out the homemade grappa .
GRAPPA! No Roman hangover will suffice without it!

~ Wilhoit's Law
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

We did a 2-week Mediterranean Cruise right before Covid hit and loved it. Started in Barcelona and ended up in Venice. Took private tours and hit all the main places in Italy and Greece and a few other countries along the way. Had 12 hours in port at the main cities. Good way to see a snapshot of a lot of different places.

We also just did a 2 week land trip in Italy, going to some of the smaller cities. Landed in Naples and then took a shuttle to get to the Amalfi Coast and back. Once back in Naples, the train system is amazing and got us everywhere else we needed to go.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Great post, agreed the train system at Naples is fantastic
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Trenitalia for the win!

I’ve never done Italo.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Italo is ok. Nice trains, private enterprise. A tad cheaper and saved me from getting stuck in Naples trying to get back to Rome for a flight, but I prefer trenitalia for the route network and timetables
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I’m a never Cruise kind of guy but my parents are in their 80s and it might be our only real opinion left of doing a big family vacation
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:18 pm Italo is ok. Nice trains, private enterprise. A tad cheaper and saved me from getting stuck in Naples trying to get back to Rome for a flight, but I prefer trenitalia for the route network and timetables
I’ve seen Italo trains in the stations, I’ve always used Trenitalia.

The Frecciarossa is pretty well appointed. 1x2 or 2x2 plush leather seats. The cafe car has Illy espresso.

I’m a simple man, an Illy Doppio makes my day.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Muggy as fuck in Miami.