Pac 12 Expanding Schedule?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Pac 12 Expanding Schedule?

Post by zonagrad »

Not sure if this needs its own thread but I thought it would generate some good discussion. Looks like the wheels are moving for a 20 game conference schedule. And Miller is leading the charge.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/30/ ... ore-sense/" target="_blank
PieceOfMeat

Re: Pac 12 Expanding Schedule?

Post by PieceOfMeat »

One of the few things I always liked about the pac10 was the fact we had a full home and home schedule for every team in the league (when other conferences didn't). I've never liked the unbalanced schedules we've had in the pac12 since expansion. (so yes, I'd even be for expanding to 22, but at least with 20 you can get rid of missing teams entirely)

I think it's funny though that Miller is quoted as saying “It’s the way the sport is going,’’ Miller said. “We don’t want to be the conference that needs a couple years to catch up.” .... and yet .... the pac is already trying to play catch up with other conferences that have (or are) expanding their schedules.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

As long as it guarantees two yearly matchups with UCLA sign me up.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Hopefully we replace 2 garbage non-conference games.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Please just get it done.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Also this idea of playing teams twice before playing others at all is ridiculous
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Also this idea of playing teams twice before playing others at all is ridiculous
Amen.

This along with just eliminating travel partners already needs to happen.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Also this idea of playing teams twice before playing others at all is ridiculous
Amen.

Yeah I think that idea was pre charter when maybe it made more sense.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Amen.

What the issue with playing some schools twice and not other ones once yet? All the other conferences are in the same boat.

I love the travel partners still. Makes it unique for the conference and I loive the tradition of it
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Yup. Of course....knew that was coming.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:As long as it guarantees two yearly matchups with UCLA sign me up.
20 is still slightly unbalanced. Regardless of the outcome of that, I would like a schedule that guarantees home and home with all divisional opponents so any lack of balance comes from the other division. It is the strategy most likely to drive rivalries.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:As long as it guarantees two yearly matchups with UCLA sign me up.
20 is still slightly unbalanced. Regardless of the outcome of that, I would like a schedule that guarantees home and home with all divisional opponents so any lack of balance comes from the other division. It is the strategy most likely to drive rivalries.
Which conference member are we lacking in a rivalry with exactly that this is a concern for you?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Which conference member are we lacking in a rivalry with exactly that this is a concern for you?
Not sure of your question. Guaranteed home and homes with divisional opponents means we get a guarantee of home and home with the schools in our division (and thus geographically close). For us, that's the LA, Rocky mountains and ASU.

By limiting to divisions, it helps guarantee max games against the closest schools to you, who are also the most natural rivals. That is why this is the biggest thing for me.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Not sure of your question. Guaranteed home and homes with divisional opponents means we get a guarantee of home and home with the schools in our division (and thus geographically close). For us, that's the LA, Rocky mountains and ASU.

By limiting to divisions, it helps guarantee max games against the closest schools to you, who are also the most natural rivals. That is why this is the biggest thing for me.
I dont have as much of an issue with missing UCLA and USC every so often. But this will reduce it even more than now. I am good with it. Even better if the schedule of misses isnt done years and year in advance like this time around.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Pac 12 needs to get rid of the antiquated travel partner & Thursday/Saturday games. It needs to be more along the lines of B1G or ACCs.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

We need to play the south division schools twice a year. No reason to play the beavers twice when you only have one game with UCLA.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I just don't see the purpose for divisions in basketball scheduling, in fact the one conference who used to do it (SEC) cancelled doing it because it didn't make much sense.

If we're playing 20 games, which sounds like it will very much be the case, we'll miss one road game and one home game against a conference foe. I think every rivalry will survive if we miss one here and there.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What is the issue with traveling partners?

I always thought it was 1 thing the Pac did right. I always liked the idea of So Cal week or Oregon week. What am I missing?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NYCat wrote:Pac 12 needs to get rid of the antiquated travel partner & Thursday/Saturday games. It needs to be more along the lines of B1G or ACCs.
Why?

It is fun, saves on travel, prepares well for the NCAA tournament, and is tradition.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
NYCat wrote:Pac 12 needs to get rid of the antiquated travel partner & Thursday/Saturday games. It needs to be more along the lines of B1G or ACCs.
Why?

It is fun, saves on travel, prepares well for the NCAA tournament, and is tradition.
No pac 12 team has won a 'ship since 1997
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NYCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Why?

And you contribute that mostly to the travel schedule with travel partners?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Why?

Every team charters to their games, so the saving money on travel thing goes right out the window when you're chartering. The travel partner deal is an issue because 1. It limits what days of the week you can play your games & 2. You're taking what are supposed to be "student athletes" away from school for pretty much an entire week (especially in Arizona's case this week).

If we get rid of the travel partners then you can play a home game on a Monday or Tuesday, then go to Seattle or whatever on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, whatever and vice versa.

As far as tradition goes that shit went out the window the day we added Colorado & Utah, so spare me. Oh and it's fun? Ooooook....?
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
NYCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Why?

And you contribute that mostly to the travel schedule with travel partners?
You said that, you said it helps prepare teams for the NCAA tournament. But no teams from this conference have won it all since Arizona. So is it really preparing teams?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I we didn't have travel partners Arizona would've had one game at an LA school this year and wouldn't have gone to Rado/'Tah back to back games on short rest
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Plus, ASU proving they suck eternally, so teams focusing week’s prep on Arizona.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NYCat wrote:I we didn't have travel partners Arizona would've had one game at an LA school this year and wouldn't have gone to Rado/'Tah back to back games on short rest
So maybe U of A wins that one, but it could go against U of A as well. Not 100% sure U of A is 9-0 and not 8-1 right now with different travel schedules/partners/etc